New AFPC commander a pilot

LookieRookie

"Maj. Gen. Andrew Toth, a fighter pilot who has flown hundreds of combat hours over Iraq, took command of the Air Force Personnel Center on Aug. 9."

Hopefully this results in more transparency and less smoke and mirrors shoe clerkery.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/08/13/experienced-fighter-pilot-iraq-veteran-takes-command-at-afpc/

Yeah, but were they really pilots?  I sat in the back of the plane one day while McDew subjected the earth to his soul crushing landings.  I closed my eyes, braced for impact, and let out a Jesus! as I expected the gear to collapse each time.  Tr'ble, just tr'ble. 

PS: No idea on the others, so flame elsewhere.

On topic tho, who better to implement the programs on pilot assignments and retention than those most hurting, a fighter pilot.  Question is, is he still a fighter pilot?  I think it would be a more interesting experiment to take an 18yr Lt Col pilot, one about to get out, and make him/her the chief of AFPC.

Out

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Waingro said:

Drifter's a great American. Eagle patch, experience in white-jet world, some time in the F-35 and the B-52, and an all around good guy. I'm hopeful he makes lasting positive change at AFPC.

2.  Interacted with him when he was the wing king on Guam.  This is a positive, in my book. 

11 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

Yeah, but were they really pilots? 

Welsh was the real deal.

I remember watching a video of his post-Desert Storm speech when I was a ROTC cadet in college, and he clearly had a firm grasp on actual combat leadership.  He seemed to have that same warrior leadership as he rose through the ranks.

As soon as he started wearing 4 stars, though.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hacker said:

Welsh was the real deal.

I remember watching a video of his post-Desert Storm speech when I was a ROTC cadet in college, and he clearly had a firm grasp on actual combat leadership.  He seemed to have that same warrior leadership as he rose through the ranks.

He still gave good speeches .... but that was about it. 

2 hours ago, Hacker said:

If any of you were around for the T Mike Moseley CSAF years, people said the same great things about him prior to becoming the Chief.

And then....

He wanted more F-22's, BUFF's were flying around nukes unknown to the crew, and the USAF was sending nuclear parts disguised as Huey parts to Taiwan. The degradation of the nuclear surety mission was due to more than just T. Mike, but he was the CSAF, so he took the blame (with the SECAF).

He wanted more F-22's, BUFF's were flying around nukes unknown to the crew, and the USAF was sending nuclear parts disguised as Huey parts to Taiwan. The degradation of the nuclear surety mission was due to more than just T. Mike, but he was the CSAF, so he took the blame (with the SECAF).

Morale and retention were much higher then. Just saying.

On 8/14/2018 at 11:01 AM, disgruntledemployee said:

Yeah, but were they really pilots?  I sat in the back of the plane one day while McDew subjected the earth to his soul crushing landings.  I closed my eyes, braced for impact, and let out a Jesus! as I expected the gear to collapse each time.  Tr'ble, just tr'ble. 

PS: No idea on the others, so flame elsewhere....

I have no first hand experience flying with him, but Norty was one of the test pilots on the YMC-130 program.  If I had to guess, given the high profile of the mission and my assumption that the mission pilots would be selected from the group of test pilots, he along with all the other guys on that test program were probably well respected and accomplished pilots in their respective communities.

That's a lot of assumptions though.

On 8/14/2018 at 11:42 PM, Hacker said:

Welsh was the real deal.

As an aviator he is legit, as a combat leader he was beyond legit.  I know Boomer very well and had hoped he would be more effective at turning the ship.  A year after he took over we were having a private conversation.  We we talked about some of the changes, somethings that had yet to change and some recent buffoonery including silly shit like SECAF puking all over a Tbird.  I think I said something to the effect of "how can you let some of these things happen?"  He took a breath and replied "CH, you would be surprised how little power I actually have."  I'm not trying to defend him, just saying we need to keep the context of the political climate and political beasts that actually run the show.  Maybe if a few of these four stars spoke out and fell on their swords it might be different...but I've yet to see anyone with the selfless stones to do it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hacker said:

Jesus, when did "white jet time" become a "credit"?

C’mon Hacker, cut me some slack!  It’s all I got!  

BTW, if the white jet is painted black, what does that count as??

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

As an aviator he is legit, as a combat leader he was beyond legit.  I know Boomer very well and had hoped he would be more effective at turning the ship.  A year after he took over we were having a private conversation.  We we talked about some of the changes, somethings that had yet to change and some recent buffoonery including silly shit like SECAF puking all over a Tbird.  I think I said something to the effect of "how can you let some of these things happen?"  He took a breath and replied "CH, you would be surprised how little power I actually have."  I'm not trying to defend him, just saying we need to keep the context of the political climate and political beasts that actually run the show.  Maybe if a few of these four stars spoke out and fell on their swords it might be different...but I've yet to see anyone with the selfless stones to do it.

This is important! While Welsh bears some of the burden of the issues we face, let’s remember the regieme in charge at the top at the time (not necessarily the most military friendly.)   Not to mention sequestration, a recovering economy..all that matters. 

• Like 1