Innovation at its finest, USAF, don't drop the ball on this

polcat

This is the type of innovation we need. I want to be optimistic that this will become the new AERPS, but I'll be a realist. Although it's been quite some time since I last wore AERPS, this looks much more comfortable and practical.

https://www.stripes.com/news/yokota-airmen-improve-gas-mask-with-3d-printer-potentially-saving-air-force-8-million-or-more-1.531504

Very interesting, but how does that work with a helmet? I'm sure it hasn't been tested in an unpressurized environment breathing forced oxygen. I'm all for improving the comfort of our AERPS gear and considering it seems to the Air Force's new flavor of the day, maybe they'll throw some money at the problem to get us something better.

1 minute ago, Gazmo said:

Very interesting, but how does that work with a helmet? I'm sure it hasn't been tested in an unpressurized environment breathing forced oxygen. I'm all for improving the comfort of our AERPS gear and considering it seems to the Air Force's new flavor of the day, maybe they'll throw some money at the problem to get us something better.

There's literally a picture of a guy wearing this mask with a helmet in the story.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

It would be nice to have something more comfortable. Since there are no bayonets, I’m not sure how you would keep the helmet from moving when you integrate the hood or keep it on for ejection seat types. It would be nice if heavy guys could just get a modified headset for this setup with just the earphone portion and have the mic be in the mask.

SMSgt Siemiet was involved in this... I'm not surprised.  

He was a SRA and SSgt at Beale "back in the day", and a terrific NCO.  Leader, mentor AND innovator.  Infectious demeanor, boundless energy.  He is what I'd want all of the NCO's in my squadron to be like.  I hope CMSgt is his next stop.  

If you're at Yokota, go shake his hand.  Then figure out a way to get him into your squadron.  

• Upvote 4

There's literally a picture of a guy wearing this mask with a helmet in the story.
Oops... didn't scroll down that far. Still doesn't address the concerns of whether it has been tested using pressurized O2 and yes, as other people have mentioned, what about comms? What about the exposed kneck? This mask was designed for the conventional chem suit with hood that zips and buttons up around your kneck. Anyway, probably all things they've thought of already not mentioned in the article.
  • Like 1