Military appreciation has jumped the shark

BashiChuni

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

And you have failed to articulate what you disagree with in my post. You only sarcastically comment about turning down discounts. Never addressing the underlying issues I’ve brought up. 

I'm not sure what I disagree with, other than you claim the point everyone on the board thinks you are making isn't the point you are making.  The fact that so few people understand what you are trying to say tells me the problem lies with how you are attempting to communicate, not with the majority of the listeners.

Frankly, I think we've got bigger problems than upgrades to first class and 10% discounts at home improvement stores and restaurants.  You're the one that started with this "jumped the shark" thing, not me.  The Air Force and by extension the American Taxpayer have taken a lot from me...missed birthdays, anniversaries, Christmases and Thanksgivings.  So pardon me if I don't weep tears or refuse to take the small pieces of gratitude that they are willing to extend.  It makes them feel better, it makes my life just a tiny bit easier.  Win-win.

As to your point about WWII vets...of course they didn't feel the need to talk about their experiences.  Everyone they would have talked about their experiences with had either served, was related to someone who served, or was close friends with someone who served.  And their reluctance to talk is starting to take a toll as those stories and history are disappearing forever.  Add to that the fact that the opening days of OIF and OEF were almost completely lacking documentation until 2008, and I'd actually argue the other side - we need MORE people willing to talk about their experiences, not less.  You want to bring accountability to the use of force?  Bring home the sacrifice and the cost of using the military to a civilian populace that's almost completely detached?  Well, the way to do that isn't to shut up and deny all association with the military.  It's to tell the stories and connect those civilians with what we're asking the military to do.

• Like 1

Going down the same road as Pawnman, could it be that a majority of the public realizes that a minority of the population is shouldering the burden of military service and would like to acknowledge that service and sacrifice through whatever means they can?  WW2 involved almost everyone, few were sheltered from it, so it was shared sacrifice with everyone in the same boat.  Now, not so much.

• Like 4

• 3 years later...

Great share I wonder this might have no effect on Lowes Military Discount program. Each year the president makes a proclamation, reminding Americans of the important role the U.S. Armed Forces have played in the history and development of our country. A hotel near SeaWorld will offer discounts to military members and families next month during National Military Appreciation Month. All active and retired military personnel will be able to reserve rooms for as little as $99 per night at the DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando SeaWorld.

Edited by tomdav

On 8/24/2021 at 4:52 AM, tomdav said:

Great share I wonder this might have no effect on Lowes Military Discount program. Each year the president makes a proclamation, reminding Americans of the important role the U.S. Armed Forces have played in the history and development of our country. A hotel near SeaWorld will offer discounts to military members and families next month during National Military Appreciation Month. All active and retired military personnel will be able to reserve rooms for as little as $99 per night at the DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando SeaWorld.

Shill or bot detected.

• 2 weeks later...