C-130 down near Savannah, GA

3 hours ago, Orbit said:

Someone just posted to TPN that JetBlue is giving out free airfare to military members wanting to travel to PR for the service.  

They did this for Jolly 51.  Took about 20 minutes on the phone is all.  Great service. 

3 hours ago, Orbit said:

Someone just posted to TPN that JetBlue is giving out free airfare to military members wanting to travel to PR for the service.  

That is awesome.  Well done JetBlue.

On 5/9/2018 at 7:47 PM, uhhello said:

They did this for Jolly 51.  Took about 20 minutes on the phone is all.  Great service. 

YMMV. They wouldn't give me a ticket for Jolly 51 since I "wasn't on the list". I'm a member of the unit. We then worked it up to a manager and they finally tried to get me on and of course all their seats were taken. Ended up paying $1200 out of pocket for a one day funeral trip (wouldn't have missed it for the world to say bye to my brothers). I just bring this up because I feel like these airlines do this for marketing or to say they are somehow charitable but haven't met anyone who has actually successfully done it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SPAWNmaster said:

YMMV. They wouldn't give me a ticket for Jolly 51 since I "wasn't on the list". I'm a member of the unit. We then worked it up to a manager and they finally tried to get me on and of course all their seats were taken. Ended up paying $1200 out of pocket for a one day funeral trip (wouldn't have missed it for the world to say bye to my brothers). I just bring this up because I feel like these airlines do this for marketing or to say they are somehow charitable but haven't met anyone who has actually successfully done it.

I was leery as well but after a good friend did It I gave it a shot.  First line agent said it was only bereavement fare eligible and would still be 700.  She escalated to be sure and after about 15 minutes in hold a different agent came back on and said tickets were booked and it’s free.  We had a couple others do it as well but also had a few who ran into the problems you did.  Just depends on the people you talk to I guess. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, uhhello said:

Should be a must read for ALL maintainers and aircrew.

Fixed that for you.  

Really sad read and hopefully isn't indicative of the culture in the AF these days WRT flying and maintaining our aging fleet.  Not getting into details here so see your safety shop to get the skinny.  Interested to see what the AIB will determine as well.

Edited by sixpack
  • Upvote 3

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

Step on the good motor, correct?

(Centerline guy)

From my limited Multi-engine experience, yes you would step on the good engine to counter the adverse yaw. I also believe the #1 engine is the critical engine for the C-130H.

Standard stuff taught in the T-1, 5 degrees of bank in the working engine, step on the good engine, I’m sure variations of that procedure are standard in all non centerline aircraft  

Still sad. Some footage of the accident is on a video released by CSAF that all aircrew are suppose watch in the next few weeks about preventing mishaps. It’s also probably out there on the internet. 

56 minutes ago, viper154 said:

Standard stuff taught in the T-1, 5 degrees of bank in the working engine, step on the good engine, I’m sure variations of that procedure are standard in all non centerline aircraft  

Still sad. Some footage of the accident is on a video released by CSAF that all aircrew are suppose watch in the next few weeks about preventing mishaps. It’s also probably out there on the internet. 

That is safety privileged, so it should not be.