C-130 down near Savannah, GA

20 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

He wasn’t talking to you 

20 hours ago, Bender said:

41 words, oh shIt I'm out. Ain't no one have that kinda time.

*Too Long, Didn't Read*

~Bendy

Thanks haha, I can be a little dense sometimes, after 1 or 12 of those 16 ounce cans

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Blue 4 News is supposed to do this

5 years of flying on active duty and the first time I ever heard of blue 4 news was when I went to the safety program manager course. The system is broke, we as aircrew should probably be getting that briefed to us every month. 

Maybe I am biased, aviation safety is something  I am passionate about, and learning from the mistakes of others to not repeat them myself is also something I feel passionate about. 

To much red tape/fear of recourse from leadership has made the safety process useles. 

To many of our aircrew have no clue about most of the fatal accidents the USAF has had in the last few years. Their are countless lessons to be learned and re learned. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

We briefed the whole AETC Wing at a white jet base the Alaska C-17 accident cause everyone needed to know that.  The problem would be with your local safety shop.  BTW, don't watch that brief without some booze on hand.

I’ve seen it several times, always a tough one. As I said in another post, my MAJOM/wing has been pretty good about getting us the info but many others are not. How many people know about the two U-28 incidents, the Aviano F-16, the 135 yaw mishap, MC-12 in Afghan, and the couple T-6 and 38 mishaps we had this year. That’s just what I can remember off the top of my head after a few to many beers. 

The Air Force as a flying organization needs to reevaluate how this info is distributed. I get ORM and safety first bs from leadership constantly, but as a organization we aren’t doing enough to get this info/lessons learned to the crews. 

Its only going to become more important as the crusty knowledgeable guys leave for greener pastures. 

• Upvote 1

About 6 years ago, I noticed a mentality shift from the Safety guys switching to "hell yeah you're a pilot, you have something to learn" to "absolutely not, you don't need to know."

My unsolicited 2 cents, something changed in HHQ guidance... after, what I believe, the F-22 that crashed in Alaska. I think after the USAF hung her husband out to dry, she got ahold of the SIB and sued the shit out of the USAF/every defense contractor. IIRC they settled out of court, but that was the time the Safety shop mentality changed.

Edited by xaarman

2 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

This is a common misconception.  Anecdotal, not data:  Nearest guy with AFSAS access to me is several hundred miles away in a different group.  I’m a DO of an operational flying SQ; if I struggle gathering safety lessons learned, how can a line AC do better?

I copy and appreciate your encouragements towards personal assertiveness, and a fix is imminent for my situation.  However there is an institutional problem here surpassing your proposed solution.

I agree,  I’m just a lowly crew dog but at any given time the odds are better that our safety guy is deployed/TDY than home. I had AFSAS access for a few months for a course I attended but it was quickly taken away. 

• 4 months later...