GA Aircraft Flown

HuggyU2

On 11/20/2019 at 6:55 PM, bfargin said:

I tried for about 5 years to buy one of the Tweets in the boneyard. Contacted my Senator, some other DOD folks I know, etc with absolutely no luck. Even contacted the State Department about the possibility and it was pretty much a no-go unless the US eventually decided to sell them as scrap.

There are several repatriated export-sale Tweet airframes languishing around that could be made airworthy if you really wanted to.

• 3 months later...

Currently looking at buying an RV-14 (non-A) and interested in some light off-airport action. Those of you that own or have experience with RVs, what's the general consensus on the extent a tail-dragger RV can handle (grass strip, gravel strip, river gravel bar, etc.)? 

36 minutes ago, FlyingFisher said:

Currently looking at buying an RV-14 (non-A) and interested in some light off-airport action. Those of you that own or have experience with RVs, what's the general consensus on the extent a tail-dragger RV can handle (grass strip, gravel strip, river gravel bar, etc.)? 

Have had great results with an RV-6 on a grass strip, they handle just fine. My personal opinion tail-draggers are much easier and more forgiving on grass instead of pavement, especially if you are doing a 3 pointer. Haven't done any gravel strip or river, but I'm assuming shouldn't be too much different YMMV. Any of the RV models are a ton of fun to fly, just no ground loops😏

3 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

Congrats.  That's the airplane I'd most like to own right now.  

What made you the most sold on the 14 vs other Vans or light GA aircraft in general? I'm trying to gather as much info as possible before making any moves on it

16 hours ago, FlyingFisher said:

The RV series are badass and pretty good at a lot of things (speed, payload, fuel economy, etc...) river gravel bars might be asking a bit to much. Best to direct your question over at Vans Air Force dot net the the "General" or RV-14 thread. The VAF gang are a good group and would love to hep you with this question. If I had the money, I'd have an RV-8 done up as a P-51  (see my avatar picture) no questions asked.

• 2 months later...

A local guy built an RV-14 and took me with him on an out-and-back to Chester Field (O05) in the Sierra.  

Really nice airplane.  I cannot imagine Vans will be selling a lot of RV-7 kits with this out.  The extra space is a big plus.  

I just saw the first one listed on Barnstormers:  the owner wants $199,000.  Ouch.  

Edited by HuggyU2

1 hour ago, HuggyU2 said:

A local guy built an RV-14 and took me with him on an out-and-back to Chester Field (O05) in the Sierra.  

Really nice airplane.  I cannot imagine Vans will be selling a lot of RV-7 kits with this out.  The extra space is a big plus.  

I just saw the first one listed on Barnstormers:  the owners wants $199,000.  Ouch.  

Agreed on all counts. And indeed, they have the cabin volumetrics overweight Americans want, and for some, outright need. But at those prices they are still hen's teeth in the retail market. This downturn will further protract their prevalence in the market outright. If the rank and file GA recreational market had to wait until they could spend housing money on a 2 seater (nevermind those of us who could, but don't do as a matter of principle), there'd be no recreational piston market, even for the standards of our current moribund one. 

The need to build in itself continues to be a hindrance to the market of course. Otherwise you and I would already own one each. Thankfully, there's old RV-6s and 7s on resale. 

• 3 months later...

Sooo, this seems like the most suitable thread to ask:

1.  Recommendations for size of iPad and whether to go with Foreflight or Garmin in the typical C-172/Piper/Beech?

Haven't piloted anything for 30 years when it was all steam gauges and paper VFR charts.

1.  Recommendations for headset?  (I have my David Clark's from USAF flying but that will need an adaptor, yes?  Or just unass the cash and get something new, but what?)

Background:  gonna use my GI bill to get my commerical/CFI.  All this new-fangled fancy-dancy gee-whiz 'lectronics is gonna be brand new to me.  

Help?

Edited by brickhistory

Personally I like the Pro size but I like to be able to zoom out when I want to see a bigger section, i also think the larger size is nice when dodging weather. I always used to fold my sectionals to this size so kinda what I'm used to.  I have flown with folks using the smaller size and all I can suggest is like most aviation things it comes down to personal preference. 

I used my DC with an adapter for years as I had the single plug version for when flying rotor and used the two prong adapter when flying GA fixed wing. I always thought they were fine and actually preferred them only reason I changed to newer noise canceling DC is due to duration of flights being longer and new materials making the headsets lighter.

Edited by RegularJoe

On 9/3/2020 at 11:25 AM, brickhistory said:

Sooo, this seems like the most suitable thread to ask:

1.  Recommendations for size of iPad and whether to go with Foreflight or Garmin in the typical C-172/Piper/Beech?

Haven't piloted anything for 30 years when it was all steam gauges and paper VFR charts.

1.  Recommendations for headset?  (I have my David Clark's from USAF flying but that will need an adaptor, yes?  Or just unass the cash and get something new, but what?)

Background:  gonna use my GI bill to get my commerical/CFI.  All this new-fangled fancy-dancy gee-whiz 'lectronics is gonna be brand new to me.  

Help?

iPad Air or iPad Pro. As an instructor the iPad Air is more than enough for me.

Foreflight 100% end of story.

I tell everyone I can to get a used pair of QC25 or QC35 and purchase the uflymike. I have used it for the last 1000 hours and love it. Total will be about $350 all said n done. Has noise cancelling and is light on the head. Not quite as good as the Bose A20's but isn't $1000. David Clarks are good but if you are going to be flying a lot, invest in the comfort.

Where you looking to get your ratings at?

Edited by jonlbs

I’ll echo the large iPad recommendation. It’s nice to be able to make it both readable and see the entire plate at once. 

Absolutely get ForeFlight. I think Performance is the top tier account type, you probably don’t need that to begin with. But definitely have someone show you the ins and outs so you can get the most out of it.   

I agree with the air. The mini is good for balanced on a leg, but the air is better for mounted off to the side (my preference). I find Garmin to be a pretty great app. I also use foreflight at work, which is great as well. I would take the free app over the paid app, as I don’t think foreflight offers me significantly more for GA flying that warrants the cost. I also use the garmin app with a stratus...don’t need foreflight to have awesome, live weather and ADS-B. Bottom line, foreflight is the gold standard, but I have yet to find one thing that the garmin app can’t do for my GA flying needs (and that includes IMC concluding in RNAV approaches, avoiding storm cells, etc.)

Edited by brabus

For anything in an enclosed cabin, I'd go with any of the larger iPads.  The extra real estate is just great for ease of use and SA, if for nothing else, not having to constantly zoom in and out all the time.  For flying in my Stearman I use the iPad mini on a Pivot leg strap.  Compact and hands free are a must and works really well.  I'm not going anywhere fast so the small screen works just fine.  I have foreflight and use the Sentry for ADS-B in.  

Edited by SocialD

I have the David Clark ProX. Used in the airliner cockpit as well as in a 1950 Champ. It’s an “on ear” vs “over the ear” headset. Strengths are weight and comfort. It’s far less clamping force on your head than a traditional over ear style. On ear means no seal around the ear so noise can be an issue. This is mitigated by noise cancellation but they still aren’t as quiet as an A20 or equivalent. The biggest issue I have is that they aren’t the most secure and can come off your head if you’re maneuvering aggressively. So not suitable for aerobatics but will work for most other applications. I like them because I can have one headset for professional and recreational flying. Some love them, some hate them, but they’re worth a test drive if you know someone who can loan you one. 

4 hours ago, Bobsan said:

For all of you flying with large iPads, where do you mount them/what case do you use?

Not a GA flyer, but the squadron provided Otterbox cases and I believe a Otterbox leg holder. Case is solid. After 6 or so years of flying, deploying, and dropping iPads I haven’t had any issues. It comes with a  removable back plate that attaches over the case, and has flip out legs so you can stand it up on a table and brief on it, or watch YouTube videos at work.  The leg strap is great if you don’t have a place to mount it. Elastic bands go around each corner of the iPad and the strap velcros around your leg like a knee board. 

I’ve also come to love having a Apple Pen. It’s nice not having to search for some scratch paper, it does take getting use to. ForeFlight has a built it scratch pad and ATIS template. I tend to just use the scratch pad. 

warning -if your a big dude in a tiny cockpit pay attention to your iPad placement on the leg, I’ve had minor issues where the strap slowly slides down my leg after a long flight and can interfere with yoke movement. 

Work also bought A20s. I love them but they ain’t cheap. Very comfortable and light, noise canceling is great, and I love that you can pipe music in for those long boring flights. I have Bose Q35s for personal use, they are also great. 

Edited by viper154

31 minutes ago, 08Dawg said:

I use a iPad mini4. Great size for the the standard GA airplane without blocking too much view. For the headset, A20, no question. 

Some follow-ups, if I may.  And not arguing, simply don't know...

Is the mini going to be big/enough to display enough info at a size an old guy can read without constant sizing actions, especially as a student learning instruments? (Hopefully, that made sense).

From my days 30 years ago, the fit then in a 152/172 was tight, esp I'm still as tall (6'5"), but 60 lbs heavier (230).  Room for any of these as a kneeboard kind of a thing (especially a bigger one like the Pro) or a suction cup on a window?

Roger on the Bose A20s.  They are proud of their prices, aren't they?

1 hour ago, brickhistory said:

Some follow-ups, if I may.  And not arguing, simply don't know...

Is the mini going to be big/enough to display enough info at a size an old guy can read without constant sizing actions, especially as a student learning instruments? (Hopefully, that made sense).

From my days 30 years ago, the fit then in a 152/172 was tight, esp I'm still as tall (6'5"), but 60 lbs heavier (230).  Room for any of these as a kneeboard kind of a thing (especially a bigger one like the Pro) or a suction cup on a window?

Roger on the Bose A20s.  They are proud of their prices, aren't they?

I’m 69”s tall so we’re a little different in size, but I’ve used both the regular IPad and the mini. Standard Ipad was good for not having to zoom in so much, but the size was cumbersome in a 152/172.  Especially if you mounted it on a suction cup (could cover a 1/4 of a window) and that’s why I chose the mini. You do need to zoom in on the mini, but it’s been best for me when going from a 172, cub, baron, king air, t-38, etc. 

Bose does cost you an arm and a leg, but they’re worth it. Another option would be the light speed Sierra. Used them before and they were great.