Pilot Shortage Deepens, USAF is SCREWED.

ClearedHot

20 hours ago, Hacker said:

I was referring to the Army helo dudes who were recruited to come through AF fixed wing qual and IFF to go out and fly in AF units.  There was a big batch in the 2004-2006 timeframe, with many going to ANG units but some headed to AD units.

I thought that's what you were referring to when you said, "the AF also didn't bring in quite a few Army RW pilots..."

If not, my bad.  I'll STFU then.

No worries man--yes, this was referring to the 90s when the AF took in quite a few Army RW pilots to fly 53's, 60's, and Huey's, and they did just fine.  

After my most recent deployment, where we constantly fought our own AF just to get people properly paid (which still hasn't happened...), and to conduct normal operations, the AF deserves whatever happens to it.  May they reap what they sow...

Edited by SocialD
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Runr6730 said:

As a guy who lived through Fairchild’s ASEV failure in 2010, I can vouch that paperwork matters.  That being said, would I revoke someone’s IP qual for screwing it up (even repeatedly)?  Hell no, but said IP would get really tired of briefing the squadron at training days. 

Paperwork does matter, not putting dick bags like Rat and Sush in charge is even more important.

Edited by Azimuth
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Chuck17 said:

Whoa whoa whoa, you mean there’s another side to this story!? (#sarcasm) Your measured response is getting in the way of our righteous indignation...!

Chuck

Shocking I know

13 hours ago, Runr6730 said:

As a guy who lived through Fairchild’s ASEV failure in 2010, I can vouch that paperwork matters.  That being said, would I revoke someone’s IP qual for screwing it up (even repeatedly)?  Hell no, but said IP would get really tired of briefing the squadron at training days. 

I’m not sure if he ever did, but his point was that the IP qualification is not something one just keeps because they made it through IPUG. If you aren’t meeting the expectations of the IP crew qual (not just managing to avoid getting Q3’d), he would not give you that authority and responsibility. I have a hard time saying I disagree with it, but as you pointed out there are multiple ways to skin the cat.

Edited by Fuzz

Can’t remember the last time I was here, but I had to share. Here in my unit (AMC) we just had two guys this last week opt to separate vs taking some bs staff 365. Both these guys had 18 years in... and they opted out! The AF needs to get its head out of its a$$, take a hard look at what is truly needed from a deployed perspective. The mission creep/COCOM CCs unwilling to make the needed cuts will continue to decimate AF pilot resources when they have a choice. AMC screwed the pooch when it agreed to take extra deployments for ACC/Special Ops... the robbing Peter to pay Paul is going to create the same problems in AMC. Treat the problem, not the symptom, smh.

Edited by jumangio
  • Like 2

Can’t remember the last time I was here, but I had to share. Here in my unit (AMC) we just had two guys this last week opt to separate vs taking some bs staff 365. Both these guys had 18 years in... and they opted out! The AF needs to get its head out of its a$$, take a hard look at what is truly needed from a deployed perspective. The mission creep/COCOM CCs unwilling to make the needed cuts will continue to decimate AF pilot resources when they have a choice. AMC screwed the pooch when it agreed to take extra deployments for ACC/Special Ops... the robbing Peter to pay Paul is going to create the same problems in AMC. Treat the problem, not the symptom, smh.

That’s a no brainer. There are a couple former AD LtCs @ FedEx...punched at 18+ yrs for dumbass reasons like those above, got an employee number, then after IOE started retraining into another aircraft in the ARC. Mil safety blanket checklist complete, airline checklist down to the line, no 365.

Gotta be smart with telling the gaining ARC unit on when to start the ground school, but it can be done.

38 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Just heard AFRC/CC is implementing a stop loss for the reserves for the rest of the year. Anyone heard this? I saw a signed letter. Don’t know if it’s a joke or not.

Wouldn't be surprised. Especially with the involuntary mobilizations dropping to UPT TRs.

Wouldn't be surprised. Especially with the involuntary mobilizations dropping to UPT TRs.

WTF? They are deploying Reserve UPT TRs now?

17 minutes ago, Duck said:

Pilot Production is an absolute #1 priority, and to effect this we must deploy all UPT TR's immediately to Al Udied or some other worthless staff job...  Because you know that's clearly related to pilot production.

1 hour ago, Guardian said:

Just heard AFRC/CC is implementing a stop loss for the reserves for the rest of the year. Anyone heard this? I saw a signed letter. Don’t know if it’s a joke or not.

Search AFRC Stop Loss on this forum standard measure they do every year...

Pilot Production is an absolute #1 priority, and to effect this we must deploy all UPT TR's immediately to Al Udied or some other worthless staff job...  Because you know that's clearly related to pilot production.

Last rumor I heard was that two reservists from the 70th FTS @ USAFA soaked up said deployments. Not UPT (TR) IPs. Have any UPT IPs from the 340th FTG been tagged with 179s?

Recent experience that validated my soon to be separation... 

One last short notice TDY for mother Air Force: Called preferred hotel and asked if they have availability at gov per diem rate for the short notice TDY, they don't but another very suitable option exists down the road.  Do I want to reserve said rooms on my GTC and then even it out between everyone's GTC once we check in?  I say no and think I will try and do the right thing according to mother Air Force.  I call the gov contract travel agent.......WHAT, I cant reserve the rooms without the GTC number, DOD ID number, birth date, phone number, address, and email of every person on my TDY? 

What I could accomplish in a literal three minutes the Air Force turned into a two hour plus ordeal...... 

All I'm saying, it's not just additional duties that are driving people to leave.  I would just reserve the rooms..... but you know, some GS-11 RA at the group will threaten the wrath of an irate O-6 down onto my O-5 and me for not following Air Force protocol for government mandated travel...... oh cant forget the threat of footing me with the bill on top of that.  

If the guard is anything like this...I may just say see ya for good....  

26 minutes ago, Guardian said:

It's not a joke, and it's not new. We had it a year or two so back as well. AFRC calls it loss management. It's essentially a freeze from moving to IRR or retirement until 1 OCT 18. 4 April or earlier signed will be honored. Beyond that, sorry johnny, you wait til October.

It's a shell game. Yeah, it sucks for that guy trying to cut ties completely, but there's ways of min runnning the snot out of the rest of the year. Now, if they invol IA ya on top of that, yeah that's a cold dagger to the back; I'd prob be pulling some TR shenanigans too if that were the case. The trick is to have that IRR/retirement request in and approved before the IA drops; then you'll be alright, even if you have to wait until November to quit. People can still 1288 internally within the SELRES.

8 minutes ago, Duck said:

What do you mean "now"? It's been on since last Fall; we've already filled 2, and there's more to come I'm sure. I've been harping about it for the past 4 months on here. *snaps fingers* I keep telling y'all need to pay attention, shit's not blowjobs and unicorns anymore in the ARC. I'm in no way suggesting people stay in RegAF over it, but the Guard/Reserve party was OVER on 9/11/01 period dot. This is the culmination of more than a decade of ARC leadership top-cover erosion and regAF power grabs via the QOL concession we call "Total Force Enterprise", formerly Total Force Integration. Joint-basing initiatives, host wing functions dependence, proliferation of GSUs (geo-separated units) and classic associations (active associations are still considered a good deal...for the regAF member at least).

And now the no-shit, straight up NAVY RESERVE KOOL-AID, involuntary individual non-flying deployment of a billet that was sold to the member as a deployed-in-place-institutional in the first place. Unabated bait and switch. All for no other reason than 19th shielding their guys from it in order to fulfill the new bad idea of the year from the HAF:  the UPT production surge boondoggle. And hoo boy you guys should see the stuff they're doing to the syllabus. B-course IPs, lock your harness and stay on your Gs. All this of course, to distract from the retention blood bath they're not going to address in earnest, EVER.

It's all a trade, and precisely because 19th has more pull than 22nd. We all smile like we're friends, but all we are are competing fiefdoms, and that goes especially so for the architects of this blue falconry, the COCOMs. CENTCOM in particular.

7 minutes ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

Read above, just like I told @Duck, this is a robbing Peter to pay Paul dynamic. Of course they know the pilot production ruse is bullshit. You can't take what HAF edicts in official channels at face value, that's a checkers move. 

You guys are gonna absolutely love what's coming though. It's gonna be MAJCOM on MAJCOM crime, octagon style. Give you guys a hint. R_ _ _ _ _ A. And I fully welcome it; it's time to tell CENTCOM they're not special. They don't get to blow up the service just because they want to retain footprint while contractors rob the kitty blind. Meanwhile you spend another Xmas updating slides and meat gazing away from your kid and frau, just to incur requal expenses while a so-called production crisis is simultaneously ongoing mind you. And there's skydiving and a shopping mall outside "the wire" for the cherry on top. GTFOH with that rent-seeking nonsense. And they want to question my patriotism?¿! MF please. 

*mic drop*

2 minutes ago, ColoradoAviator said:

Last rumor I heard was that two reservists from the 70th FTS @ USAFA soaked up said deployments. Not UPT (TR) IPs. Have any UPT IPs from the 340th FTG been tagged with 179s?

It's not a rumor, and they are part of the same Group; that's not a distinction without difference either. For those who fell off the wagon early: These are Institutional Reserves tasked with COCOM BS rent-seek IA as TRs. It's the same pot brother. It affects us all the same. If you're asking that question because you still think this is a matter of if and not one of when for the UPT GSUs, you must not be part of the 340th, otherwise you wouldn't be making such a distinction. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one and assume you're not privy to what's going on. Now, let's reiterate: there's return fire coming. Suspense was this week, so sit back, grab a corn bag from the "heritage" room, and enjoy tonite's selection... they're about to dial up the drama to 11 at the MAJCOMs.

• Like 2

Recent experience that validated my soon to be separation... 
One last short notice TDY for mother Air Force: Called preferred hotel and asked if they have availability at gov per diem rate for the short notice TDY, they don't but another very suitable option exists down the road.  Do I want to reserve said rooms on my GTC and then even it out between everyone's GTC once we check in?  I say no and think I will try and do the right thing according to mother Air Force.  I call the gov contract travel agent.......WHAT, I cant reserve the rooms without the GTC number, DOD ID number, birth date, phone number, address, and email of every person on my TDY? 
What I could accomplish in a literal three minutes the Air Force turned into a two hour plus ordeal...... 
All I'm saying, it's not just additional duties that are driving people to leave.  I would just reserve the rooms..... but you know, some GS-11 RA at the group will threaten the wrath of an irate O-6 down onto my O-5 and me for not following Air Force protocol for government mandated travel...... oh cant forget the threat of footing me with the bill on top of that.  

Absolutely nothing wrong with reserving the whole block of rooms with your card. Each member of the crew just gives their card at check in time. It’s called being a ing AC...man the us and take care of your crew.

You can even pay for all travelers on one GTC if it comes down to it as an AC. There’s a finance form to claim airline tickets / hotels / expenses for a group in which you’re the “senior traveler.”

I am truthfully scared to death on the direction this train is headed, while the AF shovels more coal into the fire. I think when the time comes I’m bailing completely, I don’t think ANG/Reserves is worth it anymore. Which sucks because I actually still love military flying.
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with reserving the whole block of rooms with your card. Each member of the crew just gives their card at check in time. It’s called being a ing AC...man the us and take care of your crew.

You can even pay for all travelers on one GTC if it comes down to it as an AC. There’s a finance form to claim airline tickets / hotels / expenses for a group in which you’re the “senior traveler.”

That is what I ended up doing, after wasting some time, and I 100% agree... but in my little corner of the AF, just booking rooms without going through DTS or contacting the contract travel agents is one sure way to get yourself highlighted without letting your CC know what you are doing (non-AMC, so maybe we don't have the finer points figured out or the usual skids greased).  My CC was fine with it, but the power that is given to the group civ RA's is infuriating.  My main point is to highlight that the "official" process our group follows in order to honor the JTR makes life infinitely more difficult.   This process starts at the top, at the highest levels as far as I'm concerned.  Our group has had several emphasis item's and emails on using proper channels, using gov lodging, threats/instructions from the group Civ RA's to our CGO squad RA's, and general just making life difficult.  

I'm just upset the commonsense and easiest way will get you in trouble.  It just brings back memories of that stupid debit card thing they did back in 2012 or so.... The reg and process is built to the lowest common denominator of arm snuffy who goes TDY once every five years.  All of it in an effort to fight fraud/abuse for said lowest common denominator which makes the life of aircrew infinitely more difficult who has to deal with this on much more frequent basis. 

This might of been better for what's wrong with the AF, but thought it fit here as well. 

2 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

It's not a joke, and it's not new. We had it a year or two so back as well. AFRC calls it loss management. It's essentially a freeze from moving to IRR or retirement until 1 OCT 18. 4 April or earlier signed will be honored. Beyond that, sorry johnny, you wait til October.

Signed by whom? I have some skin in this fight, as my chain of command has been slow rolling my paperwork like nothing I've ever seen before.

Sucks to hear that Trogdor. At least on my little corner of the AF boondoggle we are actively working to reduce regulatory guidance smartly to let more people “do that pilot shit.” We will either be kings or crucified. Only time will tell.

• Upvote 2

Is there any thing that states production is number 1? Not arguing but trying to find some justification for something.

12 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Stand alone Guard squadrons are your last bastion of hope.  We still have our issues, but nowhere near what AD/Reserves have.  I wouldn't even consider a Guard TFI squadron these days.    

11 hours ago, Duck said:

I think when the time comes I’m bailing completely, I don’t think ANG/Reserves is worth it anymore. Which sucks because I actually still love military flying.

2020s comments above are why I keep telling all my AD bros to go to the Guard and NOT the Reserves.   Reserves are a totally different animal when compared to the Guard, and they seem to be AD lite.  I have yet to hear of any Guard guys being individually involuntarily mobilized for anything.  Im sure it's only a matter of time, but they're still not here for now.   Again, stand alone Guard squadrons are your best bet.