Pilot Shortage Deepens, USAF is SCREWED.

ClearedHot

"Mike Benitez, an Air Force fighter pilot"

Even the article they reference clarifies he's a WSO :banghead:

(Absolutely nothing against him; I've read several of his articles...always well-written and accurate)

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

What’s Driving the U.S. Air Force Pilot Shortage?

http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/05/04/whats-driving-the-u-s-air-force-pilot-shortage/amp/

Navy pilot Lt. Jack McCain claims that Air Force pilots “are not provided the opportunity for meaningful leader development.” If this is your boy, please tell him to STFU. He isn't helping.

Look who is dad is, make no mistake that the guy has ambititions - that are unfortunately not in line with actually fixing the pilot shortage.

2 hours ago, Buddy Spike said:

I thought McCain's son was an airline guy?

This is actually one of his sons.  He went through pilot training a few classes ahead of me.  How else would he have a voice on foreign policy magazine? Haha

This is actually one of his sons.  He went through pilot training a few classes ahead of me.  How else would he have a voice on foreign policy magazine? Haha

That checks. He’s a 60 pilot now.

So in a recent webinar with our AFPC reps, we were told some useful and interesting information to help stave off that 365.  From the functionals, at least 45 consecutive days deployed will put you on the bottom of the 365 list for 5 years.  So, if you're an attached guy worried about that looming 365, see if you can't offer some guest help on a deployment (or even half of one).

It does not protect you from any of the multitude of 179s out there, though.  

31 minutes ago, pawnman said:

So in a recent webinar with our AFPC reps, we were told some useful and interesting information to help stave off that 365.  From the functionals, at least 45 consecutive days deployed will put you on the bottom of the 365 list for 5 years.  So, if you're an attached guy worried about that looming 365, see if you can't offer some guest help on a deployment (or even half of one).

It does not protect you from any of the multitude of 179s out there, though.  

So you can have 5 short tours, but if you were lucky enough to get a break for 5 years (or if you are in a job where you're TDY a lot, but never "deployed") you'll be at the top of the list, with guys that have only ever deployed 45 consecutive days in the last 5 years.

Tha AF and all their clever equations... *facepalm*

The stack will be so short though that being at the bottom of it won't mean much, especially if the top-o-the-stack guys have top cover, or put in retirement paperwork to get skipped over (and then pull it back).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nunya said:

The stack will be so short though that being at the bottom of it won't mean much, especially if the top-o-the-stack guys have top cover, or put in retirement paperwork to get skipped over (and then pull it back).

This

7 hours ago, Klepto said:

So you can have 5 short tours, but if you were lucky enough to get a break for 5 years (or if you are in a job where you're TDY a lot, but never "deployed") you'll be at the top of the list, with guys that have only ever deployed 45 consecutive days in the last 5 years.

Tha AF and all their clever equations... *facepalm*

No.  I believe the criteria was posted already.  IIRC Anyone with 45 consecutive days or more in the last 5 years goes to the bottom.  Number of short tours, STRD, and ODSD are then used.  So in your example you'd very likely not be a candidate. 

6 hours ago, nunya said:

This.  Aside from almost everyone having 45 days in the last 5 years, the last number I heard was that we're going through 7 folks to fill each 365 due to retiring, bailing at 15+ years, etc.  From what I've seen in my neck of the woods, that seems in the ballpark.

This.  Aside from almost everyone having 45 days in the last 5 years, the last number I heard was that we're going through 7 folks to fill each 365 due to retiring, bailing at 15+ years, etc.  From what I've seen in my neck of the woods, that seems in the ballpark.

It took 15 people for one to stick with my deputy group. It was an 11G billet. The two other fixed wing advisors replacing myself and a Maj both volunteered.

57 minutes ago, Bode said:

It took 15 people for one to stick with my deputy group. It was an 11G billet. The two other fixed wing advisors replacing myself and a Maj both volunteered.

That's the type of example I'd love to hear a more senior dude's perspective.  I'd like to think that OG or WG/CC mentioned to their MAJCOM/CC that they just lost 15 highly qualified folks to fill an 11G spot, and the MAJCOM/CC call CENTCOM (or wherever) and say WTF OVER.  Was it really worth it?  Did they *really* do a complete scrub of deployed billets and deem each one worthy of the cost to fill them? 

2 hours ago, MDDieselPilot said:

No.  I believe the criteria was posted already.  IIRC Anyone with 45 consecutive days or more in the last 5 years goes to the bottom.  Number of short tours, STRD, and ODSD are then used.  So in your example you'd very likely not be a candidate. 

Right. I’d be at the bottom of the top candidates, with the 45 day-only guy at the very bottom. Makes perfect sense.

Edited by Klepto

The way they said it was that you'd be ineligible for a 365 for five years, not just the bottom of the list. Sorry if that was misleading. Take a deployment in year 15 and you'll be good until retirement.

I’m freaking out about this stuff here. If I don’t get passed over it will have been over 5 years deployed thanks to my T-6 and PIT tours. Any clue on when these are going to be dealt out? Last I heard they were starting in April, but I haven’t heard any rumors of guys getting hit up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

The way they said it was that you'd be ineligible for a 365 for five years, not just the bottom of the list. Sorry if that was misleading. Take a deployment in year 15 and you'll be good until retirement.

I simply don't believe them.

• Upvote 2

I for one hope they don’t figure this mess out for another 6-9 months before I’ll be eligible to 3 day opt. I understand trying to be equitable by using short tour return date and such, but maybe they should also look at retainability as well.

I have seen one drop recently, it was 3 day opted. It was for a Sept ‘18 - Sept ‘19 in place with safety training beginning this month. Can’t get out soon enough.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

This

13 hours ago, nunya said:

Wait...this can actually happen?  Everything I've seen (non-pilot) when someone does that it's a quick out the door.

7 hours ago, Klepto said:

Right. I’d be at the bottom of the top candidates, with the 45 day-only guy at the very bottom. Makes perfect sense.

Do you actually have 5 short tours?  In the communities I've been a part of, that is highly uncommon.  I'd be shocked if someone with that many ST's got tagged with a 365 at any point in their career.  Perhaps I'm missing something though...

Per AFPC (MAF Assignments Facebook) # of ST is still king followed by recent deployments

If no one has an ST then the list is only people without >45 in the last 5. If everyone has >45 in the last 5 then all are even. The HAF intent is to deploy the slugs who have never deployed.

If someone has a ST they are at the bottom bottom unless everyone has same # of ST and deployed >45 in 5.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Wait...this can actually happen?  Everything I've seen (non-pilot) when someone does that it's a quick out the door.

Happened to me, and I still don't know what shady shit went down.  Tasker came down, I was 4th in line behind 3 O-5s.  They all dropped paperwork, I deployed.  At least 1 of them was still in the Wing when I got home almost a year later.

Per AFPC (MAF Assignments Facebook) # of ST is still king followed by recent deployments

If no one has an ST then the list is only people without >45 in the last 5. If everyone has >45 in the last 5 then all are even. The HAF intent is to deploy the slugs who have never deployed.

If someone has a ST they are at the bottom bottom unless everyone has same # of ST and deployed >45 in 5.

Might want to reread the official policy. The MAF posts are pretty confusing and contradictory. Ultimately it comes down to 45 day deployments as the main discriminator, not short tours.

Might want to reread the official policy. The MAF posts are pretty confusing and contradictory. Ultimately it comes down to 45 day deployments as the main discriminator, not short tours.

I’ve read the official policy. I sent it to JQP before it was even widely known. I’ve also talked to the people who do the sourcing so I trust what I know.

A 45 day deployment does not trump a STRD all other things equal.