Short Side of 29. Rated Army Aviator. What are my chances?

Hello all, I am new to the flying squadron community. I am a current army helo pilot, CH-47s with 1000 hrs (two deployments - Afghanistan). I am approaching the end of my contract with the army in a couple of months and I've been looking at going Air Force Guard/Reserve. Would love to be able to transition to a heavy/cargo squadron. Looking for advice, suggestions or if someone would like to share their experience on going the unsponsored route. Unfortunately for me, I am 29 years old. I've been looking into going unsponsored, but I don't really know much about it. I recently took the AFOQT and TBAS. PCSM of 77 with a 87 Pilot. I have the hours so I am guessing I must of done really bad in the TBAS for my score to decrease by 10 points. My college GPA was a 2.6 (Civil Engineering). I would hate to think my GPA is the reason why my PCSM score was low. My understanding is that squadrons like to see mid 80's for a sponsorship. My main concern now is that I am 29 years old and time is quickly ticking away. Should I retake both the AFOQT and TBAS or go ahead and apply as a unsponsored applicant? Am I gambling with what airframe I would get by going unsponsored? I would love to track C-17s or C130s.

Any other suggestions or advice out there would be greatly appreciated it. Thanks!

start rushing units you want to be with and start applying now.

Also, refer to BogiDope to a map of all the units and their airframes.  The blog articles are a wealth of information as well.

I am over the age requirement as was picked up by a heavy squadron.  I am working on my transfer paperwork now.  If there is anything I can help you with, feel free to reach out.