The Iran thread

Clark Griswold

1 hour ago, nsplayr said:

Ok but where are we now? Trump tore up the Iran deal, reimposed sanctions and…what? Continue the narrative to today.

They continued/accelerated progress toward nuclear weapons and have continued/accelerated other nefarious activities including attacking American positions and killing people. So…lot of good that “diplomacy” did.

I would argue we were better off under an imperfect JCPOA than today where we have nothing but belligerence to offer.

Nothing about Iranian behavior today seems cowed in any way by Trump’s big talk, his tearing up of the deal, or killing QS, which I will admit, was a good move in hindsight given there was IMHO surprisingly very little direct response.

I agree Iran sucks and they were skirting the JCPOA, but what we have today is worse - open hostility with no avenue for a better outcome. They can’t and shouldn’t trust us and so I guess we’ll just trade blows until eventually we “totally fuck them up” as one strategic genius proposed above 🙄

No Nobel peace prize in your future @Standby 🤣 I would legit love to see a 3-COA presentation where the median COA (designed to bracket in the decision maker toward the staff’s preferred option) is titled “totally fuck them up.”

No shit there I was immediately following the Soleimani strike when we were expecting a response and the direction for response to the contingency planners from above was “fuck Iran up”. I’m not kidding.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

No shit there I was immediately following the Soleimani strike when we were expecting a response and the direction for response to the contingency planners from above was “fuck Iran up”. I’m not kidding.

Fair enough. More evidence that I won’t be making general anytime soon 🫡😅

6 hours ago, Standby said:

Am I the only one who thinks we need to just totally fuck up Iran and be done with their bullshit for a while? I’m not encouraging a protracted and decades long conflict…but I would love to see these anti-American rug makers silenced for a while and rendered incapable of inflicting further harm to us. I know of at least one nation who’d be willing to aid in the delivery of a quick and lethal response. 

I mean it's been 20 years since we've freed the fuck out of someone.  Iran has potential.  

Fuck I forgot about Libya.  

Edited by uhhello
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, uhhello said:

I mean it's been 20 years since we've freed the fuck out of someone.  Iran has potential.  

Fuck I forgot about Libya.  

No, too dry and desert like, need a good tropical location. Let’s do Venezuela and set up Died 2.0 but scattered across St. Croix and surrounding islands. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

11 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Ok but where are we now? Trump tore up the Iran deal, reimposed sanctions and…what? Continue the narrative to today.

They continued/accelerated progress toward nuclear weapons and have continued/accelerated other nefarious activities including attacking American positions and killing people. So…lot of good that “diplomacy” did.

JCPOA did not work, they continued all of these negative behaviors AND we were giving them cash and helping their economy.  tearing up the deal and imposing sanctions IS diplomacy.

I would argue we were better off under an imperfect JCPOA than today where we have nothing but belligerence to offer.

They were STILL killing Americans...we were NOT better off!

Nothing about Iranian behavior today seems cowed in any way by Trump’s big talk, his tearing up of the deal, or killing QS, which I will admit, was a good move in hindsight given there was IMHO surprisingly very little direct response.

Umm in case you hadn't noticed, Trump is gone and the new guy sent a clear message when he let those 13 Americans die at the gate of the Kabul airport.

I agree Iran the leadership of sucks and they were skirting the JCPOA, but what we have today is worse - open hostility with no avenue for a better outcome. They can’t and shouldn’t trust us and so I guess we’ll just trade blows until eventually we “totally fuck them up” as one strategic genius proposed above 🙄

FIFY - Iran doesn't trust anyone and if you read the Persian Puzzle you will understand why and how that is likely to continue for generations.  The people of Iran are being held hostage by religious zealots, something we as a nation should take note of...

10 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Crazy huh...I heard some of the same conversation years before in OSD when there was an endless stream of American casualties pouring in.  You could feel it in the room, a slow simmer of rage as it was clear Iran was directly responsible for killing at least 600 Americans soldiers and maiming thousands more.  Luckily cooler heads prevailed, but as an American and a military officer I felt it as well.  It should be a lesson for all of us.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
20 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Iran, Afghanistan and water. It’s gonna be a problem for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I can hear is Morgan and Morgan lol

Use all those sandbags we left behind to dam the river.   Build a lake on the border and put all of the Afghan trash in there.   Fuck them both lol.

Edited by Biff_T
Hate
  • Haha 1

All I can hear is Morgan and Morgan lol
Use all those sandbags we left behind to dam the river.   Build a lake on the border and put all of the Afghan trash in there.    them both lol.

Gen Zinni was right that fresh water was going to be the next liquid we will be fighting over.

Ordinarily I would agree with you but chaos begets chaos, sometimes in the short term we can use that but long term it’s not viable IMHO.
Besides the world already has enough bad guys, as much as despise the Taliban and the government of Iran, if we could get them to some negotiated state better than now I’d support it

3 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Gen Zinni was right that fresh water was going to be the next liquid we will be fighting over.

Ordinarily I would agree with you but chaos begets chaos, sometimes in the short term we can use that but long term it’s not viable IMHO.
Besides the world already has enough bad guys, as much as despise the Taliban and the government of Iran, if we could get them to some negotiated state better than now I’d support it

I agree.  Sometimes my emotions get in the way of logic. 

• 7 months later...

When you have the weakest American leader in history, this is the type of stuff you get. The kids have been left home alone for so long without adult supervision that the ideas and actions have risen to an alarmingly high level of dumb/crazy. 

• Upvote 1

They are showing off other tech / ideas of late

https://www.twz.com/news-features/iran-fires-ballistic-missile-from-a-shipping-container-at-sea

The problem with Iranian tech if for every system they build with legitimate capes they’ll have some ridiculously cartoon system that people can point out and be dismissive of their whole enterprise.

We’ve got the same problem with them that was prevalent in opinion of the imperial Japan and being utterly dismissive of their ability to produce some of the tech they had like the Long lance Torpedo. I’ve met leadership that believes the Iranians simply aren’t smart enough to build a nuclear warhead and they are basing that opinion off some stereotype in their head that looks like it was colored by their experience with the Afghan bazaar guy.

The problem with Iranian tech if for every system they build with legitimate capes they’ll have some ridiculously cartoon system that people can point out and be dismissive of their whole enterprise.

We’ve got the same problem with them that was prevalent in opinion of the imperial Japan and being utterly dismissive of their ability to produce some of the tech they had like the Long lance Torpedo. I’ve met leadership that believes the Iranians simply aren’t smart enough to build a nuclear warhead and they are basing that opinion off some stereotype in their head that looks like it was colored by their experience with the Afghan bazaar guy.

Concur with depressing assessment of senior leadership that can not see past previous experiences / dodgy academic training on adversaries

Their ability to keep the Tomcat flying, their use of it against Iraq, their indigenous drone/missile programs while not mind bending are indicative of a scrappy resourcefulness that is not to underestimated

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

This is going to be a VERY dangerous weekend.  Iran is VERY likely to strike Israel in the next 48 hours...the depth of that attack and Israel's response could very well light the tinderbox.

I hope you're wrong. 

1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

This is going to be a VERY dangerous weekend.  Iran is VERY likely to strike Israel in the next 48 hours...the depth of that attack and Israel's response could very well light the tinderbox.

My bet is they don’t, at least not in the timeframe you suggest.  Iran talks tough all the time, but they’re really weak when it comes to follow through.

21 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

My bet is they don’t, at least not in the timeframe you suggest.  Iran talks tough all the time, but they’re really weak when it comes to follow through.

I beg to differ...if they hit us over Qasem Soleimani, they likely have the stones to hit Israel over an attack on their Embassy.  I HOPE I am wrong.

1 minute ago, ClearedHot said:

I beg to differ...if they hit us over Qasem Soleimani, they likely have the stones to hit Israel over an attack on their Embassy.  I HOPE I am wrong.

Hitting a base we’re using in Iraq is quite different than saying they’re hitting the US, ie in our own country.  I just don’t see them hitting Israel (ie in their own country) in the next 48 hours.  But we’ll find out soon enough.

2 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Hitting a base we’re using in Iraq is quite different than saying they’re hitting the US, ie in our own country.  I just don’t see them hitting Israel (ie in their own country) in the next 48 hours.  But we’ll find out soon enough.

Honestly it was a ballsy move by Iran, if they had killed any US with the TBM strikes on IZ I think things would look different right now.  The mood was lethal.  When we had zero casualties (granted many folks had TBI) the decision was made to stand down.  It could have easily gone the other way.

Fun side note: since they destroyed our hangar with TBMs I used the event to clean up 5 years of property book shenanigans.  Seriously, it was very beneficial.  For anyone reading this: if your stuff ever gets destroyed by the enemy, seize the opportunity to do your unit a solid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Honestly it was a ballsy move by Iran, if they had killed any US with the TBM strikes on IZ I think things would look different right now.  The mood was lethal.  When we had zero casualties (granted many folks had TBI) the decision was made to stand down.  It could have easily gone the other way.

Fun side note: since they destroyed our hangar with TBMs I used the event to clean up 5 years of property book shenanigans.  Seriously, it was very beneficial.  For anyone reading this: if your stuff ever gets destroyed by the enemy, seize the opportunity to do your unit a solid.

Unfortunately the last time I needed assistance in this area I was CONUS. But I certainly like the concept 💡 

8 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

My favorite output from that was the crater directly where the hangar with gym in a box was with a quote “I told you to stop dropping the weights!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 4