Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

31 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

multiple people actively flying airplanes when they are non-current

...assuming they weren't getting requal'd with an instructor...

Michael-scott GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by FourFans

1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

Unfortunately, no other than the failed UEI has several layers. 

In general if you fail are offered a SAV and decline there is very little wiggle room when the command shows up for a UEI and you have multiple people actively flying airplanes when they are non-current, along with a host of other issues. 

Describing the draft UEI critical/significant deficiencies as a train wreck would be like describing gang rape as a mild social deviation; it’s really really bad.  Totally agree it was a leadership failure at multiple levels.

The issues and problems were so pervasive across all the Groups in the Wing that canning just the Ops Grp/CC is like putting a bandaid on an arterial bleed.  And it was specifically said it wasn’t UEI related though I guess you could describe the issues in the Ops Grp as not UEI related, just uncovered during the inspection.

Either way this place is fucked up like a football bat and I fear we’re in for a rough 6 months.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

How does a Wing fail a UEI and the firing is a subordinate and not the Wing CC? BG Select or not, that’s just weird.

Welcome to AFSOC...based on past experience, AFSOC will do almost ANYTHING to protect one of their GO's.  Lie on an AFORMs sheet to get flight pay...no problem, fly a CV-22 into the trees...nothing to see here, create a toxic climate...meh get over it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Danger41 said:

What?! How about the 5 ARMS troops sitting in the squadron scrolling their phones all day and not processing stuff?

Some of those folks definitely put the Special in AFSOC. We had a terrible SARM troop one deployment. After several counseling sessions, I directed the individual to reread the RTM and sections of the 401. I’ve never seen somebody stare so blankly in my life. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Standby said:

Some of those folks definitely put the Special in AFSOC. We had a terrible SARM troop one deployment. After several counseling sessions, I directed the individual to reread the RTM and sections of the 401. I’ve never seen somebody stare so blankly in my life. 

It’s a thankless job, it should definitely be a job contracted by civilians or done by GSs. The few good ones I’ve met were given some more rewarding responsibilities within the DOs realm to help them stand out. Of course that’s hard if the individual doesn’t give a shit to begin with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dream big said:

It’s a thankless job, it should definitely be a job contracted by civilians or done by GSs. The few good ones I’ve met were given some more rewarding responsibilities within the DOs realm to help them stand out. Of course that’s hard if the individual doesn’t give a shit to begin with. 

Plenty of thankless jobs out there, but that’s not an excuse to not know what the 401 is as a SARM. I think it is akin to a pilot not knowing what the 202 is, but maybe I have just set my expectations too high. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, dream big said:

It already is at some bases.

• 3 weeks later...

I know we cover plenty of examples of toxic Air Force leadership on these boards…however those pale into comparison to the toxicity of Army GOs. Said toxicity is widely accepted in the Army - in a system that openly rewards people for BF their peers and stepping on their people to make it to the top ranks.

If you’ve ever (unfortunately) worked a Joint Assignment…you know. 

• Upvote 3

The Army well surpasses the AF in queep and bullshit reindeer games. Wouldn’t have believed it until I spent enough time with them. The AF is a shit show,  it it’s less of a shit show compared to the Army. So we’re not the worst, yay?

On 6/4/2023 at 12:05 PM, brabus said:

The Army well surpasses the AF in queep and bullshit reindeer games. Wouldn’t have believed it until I spent enough time with them. The AF is a shit show,  it it’s less of a shit show compared to the Army. So we’re not the worst, yay?

That's wild. I wonder about the navy and marines.. maybe being on a boat mitigates some level of queep.. at least that's what I'd hope

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, General Chang said:

Reading through this thread, there seems to be a lot of wing commander hate over time.  Certainly there are some good ones out there now.

With the onslaught of chang posts, it’s always sad how there is just enough truth in them to scare you.

13 hours ago, MCO said:

With the onslaught of chang posts, it’s always sad how there is just enough truth in them to scare you.

That's why he's our favorite troll.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...