Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

Aside from hooking up with the LPA while lying about it, security violations, a complete lack of tactical knowledge while holding SEFE quals, consistently ranting and screaming at people during her OG meetings. those were just the thing I can 100% confirm as her leadership protected her

Combo is the CC the AF deserves at this point

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2200 TT and 100 combat hours?  Is that normal for an O-6 C-model driver?

Well it looks like she did a tour at the 1 FW mostly pre-9-11 so not much going on there, and then went on to PACAF and then a TBird tour and then her only other operational assignment was at Kunsan as the OSS/CC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, the g-man said:

Well it looks like she did a tour at the 1 FW mostly pre-9-11 so not much going on there, and then went on to PACAF and then a TBird tour and then her only other operational assignment was at Kunsan as the OSS/CC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copy.  Almost zero combat credibility.  I don't want to paint with a broad brush, but those types always seem to not get it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BADFNZ said:

Copy.  Almost zero combat credibility.  I don't want to paint with a broad brush, but those types always seem to not get it.

This.

Because they’ve never done it.

(Scooter turns off Matlock, picks up iPhone, yells at kids to get off his lawn...)

Well, it has been a long time, hasn’t it? IIRC...and my time was only OSW, I never got to do ONW, but I think it was the same:

It all depended on where you flew.

Tankers and ISR got combat support sorties because we were further back and qualified for Aerial Achievement Medals based on a 20 sortie count. The OCA/DCA/SEAD guys patrolled in areas that should have rated combat time and thus should qualified for Air Medals.

Does that help? Any other old guys correct me if I’m wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Who was the fired OG/CC?  What was his background?  

His bio was removed from the CBM website before I got there.  

https://www.columbus.af.mil/About-Us/Biographies/Display/Article/1577434/colonel-derek-s-stuart/

Colonel Stuart is a Command Pilot with more than 3,200 flying hours in the C-17, C-141, T-6, and T-37. He has flown combat missions in operations Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, Northern Watch, Southern Watch and Allied Force.

Edited by LookieRookie

Don’t make snap judgements of a senior leader based on a bio. Luck and timing has a lot to do with combat as well. Back in the day, Rainman talked about not logging combat time in OSW and ONW and that was common in his squadron. Maybe a similar thing here, who knows. And by this logic you could say “she didn’t even kill one MiG over there? Dudes got kills!” 

Combat decorations for quantity don’t signify anything other than participating. My community is a great example of a few guys with a crap ton of combat time and air medals that don’t have very good tactical credibility. 

I’ve never met this Colonel or the OG and don’t know anything other than what’s in this thread. I do wonder if there is a single leader that the unwashed masses of this site think isn’t “toxic”.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

https://www.columbus.af.mil/About-Us/Biographies/Display/Article/1577434/colonel-derek-s-stuart/

Colonel Stuart is a Command Pilot with more than 3,200 flying hours in the C-17, C-141, T-6, and T-37. He has flown combat missions in operations Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, Northern Watch, Southern Watch and Allied Force.

Your link looks like it goes to the new guy.  Look like he is likely almost out of MLOA...better find a replacement quick!

• Like 1

Danger is right; I know some great leaders who, due to poor luck and timing, have a lot of fighter time and no combat time. It is not a reflection on them as pilots or bros, but rather AFPC not syncing them up with deploying squadrons...life isn’t fair. 

As far as Combo, well she’s avoided Q3s because wing/cc wouldn’t let the SEFE give her one.  And then she became a SEFE...zero cred. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

Aside from hooking up with the LPA while lying about it, security violations, a complete lack of tactical knowledge while holding SEFE quals, consistently ranting and screaming at people during her OG meetings. those were just the thing I can 100% confirm as her leadership protected her

Combo is the CC the AF deserves at this point

Different spanks for different ranks.

5 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Don’t make snap judgements of a senior leader based on a bio. Luck and timing has a lot to do with combat as well. Back in the day, Rainman talked about not logging combat time in OSW and ONW and that was common in his squadron. Maybe a similar thing here, who knows. And by this logic you could say “she didn’t even kill one MiG over there? Dudes got kills!” 

Combat decorations for quantity don’t signify anything other than participating. My community is a great example of a few guys with a crap ton of combat time and air medals that don’t have very good tactical credibility. 

I’ve never met this Colonel or the OG and don’t know anything other than what’s in this thread. I do wonder if there is a single leader that the unwashed masses of this site think isn’t “toxic”.

I get the combat time, wrong place at wrong time can make all the difference in chest candy. 

I still think 2,200 hours is exceptionally low for a O-6 pilot. Am I off on that? 

1 hour ago, Bigred said:

I get the combat time, wrong place at wrong time can make all the difference in chest candy. 

I still think 2,200 hours is exceptionally low for a O-6 pilot. Am I off on that? 

Maybe, but it seems many O-6s have about that level. Plus, the total time may have come by way of flights around the flag pole as opposed to pond crossings. Number of sorties may be a better indicator of experience. 

1 minute ago, Muscle2002 said:

Maybe, but it seems many O-6s have about that level. Plus, the total time may have come by way of flights around the flag pole as opposed to pond crossings. Number of sorties may be a better indicator of experience. 

This!  Did a quick peak at the Tyndall and Shaw AFB O-6 bios and they all had pretty much the same amount of hours.  I'm sure there are plenty with more hours.  I also have plenty of buddies that would say most of their "combat" time was spent boring holes in the skies over Iraq/Afghanistan, just waiting for something to happen.  I would say that this would characterize  about 3/4 of my combat time.  Not defending any of these CCs as I don't know any of them, but Muscle is right...sortie count would be a much better indication.

Circa 2013, we had a LTC retire that spent ~25 years straight flying the Viper.  12ish years AD, a few years in a Guard FTU squadron and the remaining years in a standard Guard fighter squadron.  He hit 3,000 hours on his fini flight and despite numerous trips to the sandbox volunteering with other squadrons...he never once had the opportunity to employ a weapon on a combat mission.  Way back when, a few months after he PCS'd to Luke, his former squadron flew off to WW Desert Storm.  Never trade luck for skill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigred said:

Fighters vs Heavies. If you really want to get spun up, how much of her time was from the Thunderbirds?

2 hours ago, Bigred said:

Guess it depends on the aircraft.  I have 3000+ in the B-1, and I'm one of the high-time guys left on active duty.

I did find it disappointing when a previous OG/CC had "over 100" combat hours.  I had that as a brand new captain about a month into my first deployment.  It was an astonishingly low amount of combat hours for the community.

4 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

Fighters vs Heavies. If you really want to get spun up, how much of her time was from the Thunderbirds?

Not getting spun up, just recaging ‘normalcy’ I suppose. Before I left the Navy most every O-6 pilot that hadn’t switched over to acquisitions, logistics, etc, had at least 3,000. Granted, to make O-6 as a pilot you had to have been an operational squadron commander and typically had a lot of flying tours.

To frame how I’m personally looking at it, I’m a major up for O-5 this year, and I have almost 3,000 hours in helicopters across about 1,200 sorties. I’ve yet to log actual flight time in the -135. 

Edited by Bigred

1 minute ago, Bigred said:

Not getting spun up, just recaging ‘normalcy’ I suppose. Before I left the Navy most every O-6 pilot that hadn’t switched over to acquisitions, logistics, etc, had at least 3,000. Granted, to make O-6 as a pilot you had to have been an operational squadron commander. 

To frame how I’m personally looking at it, I’m a major up for O-5 this year, and I have almost 3,000 hours in helicopters across about 1,200 sorties. I’ve yet to log actual flight time in the -135. 

Wasn’t my point for you to get spun up about. Combo flew with the Thunderbirds where they get about 3-400 hrs a year. Think about the rest of her experience 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1