Commanders are dropping like flies this year

MDDieselPilot

3 hours ago, FltDoc said:

Having his scathingly critical DEOCS posted publicly to Facebook certainly didn’t help him.  Once the world saw that it was only a matter of time I’m sure.

zb

I am actually quite impressed by the DEOCS results. CCs always say that the results are anonymous and if the format given is what is produced then that it quite reassuring. Unless you give personally identifiable information on the comments there isn't anything linking you to the comment. Also it shows how effective well written criticism is in highlighting issues in the unit that a 1-5 point scale can't identify.

7 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

WOW. Normally responses are somewhat bell curving with a vocal minority dominating the comments, both good and bad. No wonder this guy got canned (results are required to be briefed up the chain). This report is astounding. 

Chuck

Edited by Chuck17

WOW! Good to see all of the comments. I’ve seen DEOCS where only a small sample size actually left comments and they weren’t as verbose as these. I cannot imagine the climate that created this. Good on the people for taking the DEOCS seriously. And this, hopefully, proves to the masses that DEOCS are read and they do have an impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Upvote 2

I guess I’m of two minds regarding the posting of a DEOCS survey. Yeah, I understand that I asked for it. Just thinking out loud here. 

The guy should have been fired, clearly, based on the comments by the squadron. But command is a game where the best you can hope for is to break even and finish command before you get fired. I’ve benefited from good commanders, sure, but the older I get the more I wonder why anyone would want to be a commander. 

Maybe the (former) commanders here can chime in with all the wonderful aspects of command. 

• Upvote 2

I don't know this commander so just my thoughts about surveys in general.

I cringed a little at the survey. While there were definitely some critical comments there were also plenty of positive comments and ratings. I'm a university professor and we receive student ratings/surveys every semester and this sort of reminded me of one of those. Each semester there is the one student who thinks I was an ass for failing them and I get the 1 star across the board rating and associated snarky comments, and then there is the one student, who on paper anyway, claims I walked on water and was the best ever. I'd hate for my job to rest on the results of an anonymous survey.

So, I'd hope the fire/relieve of command decision was based on more than just a survey with people whining about being made to do their job and not feeling supported. I get the human relationship aspect of command but some of the comments sounded like people needing s hug.

29 minutes ago, bfargin said:

but some of the comments sounded like people needing s hug.

I feel like a good commander would make hugs available then.

I get this is the military; but the military is made up of people...I think Maslow wrote something about all this.

I don't know this commander so just my thoughts about surveys in general.

I cringed a little at the survey. While there were definitely some critical comments there were also plenty of positive comments and ratings. I'm a university professor and we receive student ratings/surveys every semester and this sort of reminded me of one of those. Each semester there is the one student who thinks I was an ass for failing them and I get the 1 star across the board rating and associated snarky comments, and then there is the one student, who on paper anyway, claims I walked on water and was the best ever. I'd hate for my job to rest on the results of an anonymous survey.

So, I'd hope the fire/relieve of command decision was based on more than just a survey with people whining about being made to do their job and not feeling supported. I get the human relationship aspect of command but some of the comments sounded like people needing s hug.

The comments may be at either extreme but the survey results were in the shitter. When 25% or the squadron is giving a 1 on many areas there's a problem.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Breckey said:

The comments may be at either extreme but the survey results were in the shitter. When 25% or the squadron is giving a 1 on many areas there's a problem.

That was my thought. There will always be outliers at either extreme but when there’s a lot of bunching in one spot, that’s a pretty good indication of a trend. 

I had to sit through a leadership meeting with a former commander to get after some of the DEOCS comments.  One of them was that he never made a decision...which he refuted by saying he was never given enough information, or the staff work wasn't good enough to make a decision.

In an ops squadron.  He then didn't brief the officers on results, he had a MSgt do it.

The DECOS is a great tool, and I wish more people would use it for the truth on both extremes.  The output is just like the linked above.

Also...that's a whole lot of comments. Wow.

Edited by 17D_guy

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/10/02/wild-weasel-maintenance-squadron-commander-fired-at-misawa/

"Col. Rognald Christensen, commander of the 35th Maintenance Group, fired Moehle “due to a loss of confidence in his ability to command,” said Col. Kristopher Struve, commander of the 35th Fighter Wing, in a statement Wednesday."

(Note, spelling of his first name is original to the article and seems to be correct.)

Jaysus... sick douche bag.

**break break**

I'm grateful to say that I got through my sq/cc tour without a link being posted in this thread about me getting fired.  Today was my last day as the CC.  It was great and terrible all at the same time & glad it's over/wish it would keep going all at once.  

Time for a cocktail.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

Jaysus... sick douche bag.

**break break**
I'm grateful to say that I got through my sq/cc tour without a link being posted in this thread about me getting fired.  Today was my last day as the CC.  It was great and terrible all at the same time & glad it's over/wish it would keep going all at once.  
Time for a cocktail.  

Congrats Evil! Thanks for stepping up. I know it can be a thankless job but the good ones have impacts further than they know!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app