The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

19 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

Agree, a lot of the classification system is bullshit.  Why is something classified?  Because the sender or maker made it so, and not necessarily on content.  Friday donut sale at the breakroom is secret cause some dipshit sent the message out on SIPR? 

Remember the good old days when a paper slicer to the header/footer and some sharpie solved a lot of problems…

2 hours ago, brabus said:

Remember the good old days when a paper slicer to the header/footer and some sharpie solved a lot of problems…

Nooo, I have no idea what you could possibly mean.  

when we bugged out for the Iranian TBMs 3 years ago, we had a CSO find a secret kneeboard accidentally stashed in his go bag.  His first reaction— he ate it.

Edited by tac airlifter
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

when we bugged out for the Iranian TBMs 3 years ago, we had a CSO find a secret kneeboard accidentally stashed in his go bag.  His first reaction— he ate it.

God bless that young man, what a patriot 🫡🇺🇸

The SCIF pocket is also an unusual but approved method for transporting classified. Just gotta double-bag it, so stuff it in your underwear inside of your flight suit and Lady Liberty will remain tucked in and secure at home 😅

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Lol

You can take the CSO out of the Navigator but you can't take the Navigator out of the CSO.  

1 hour ago, SurelySerious said:

Smooth morning.

So the NOTAM system is broken beyond all recognition & finally shit the bed in a massively disruptive manner? Color me shocked! Good thing we corrected “Airmen” to “Air Missions” a while back. Maybe now we can move on to some more substantive upgrades. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"Air Missions". What if you're not doing a mission?  Maybe it's just a training sortie.  I'm offended that they assume everyone that is flying is performing an operational mission.   That's cultural appropriation.  

Really? Airmen is offensive? They should have changed it to Notice to Flying Genderless Humanoids.  

Fking Nerds

Afterthought:  Special consideration required operating the air machines, or simply SCROTAMs would ensure that nobody gets gender involved with flying duties.  

Make sure to check the SCROTAMs before you step.  

Edited by Biff_T
Afterthought
  • Haha 3

So the NOTAM system is broken beyond all recognition & finally shit the bed in a massively disruptive manner? Color me shocked! Good thing we corrected “Airmen” to “Air Missions” a while back. Maybe now we can move on to some more substantive upgrades. 

Image1673461695.588743.jpg
Happened to run across this one…someone didn’t get the Air Mission memo. Also, apparently he knows better than the dispatchers at every airline. #knowledgable
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

Also….this is appropriate in this discussion:

https://ops.group/story/a-field-guide-to-notams/

Awesome link, thank you for posting!  Pages of worthless NOTAMS with “runway closed” buried in the middle is one of many frustrating realities I’ve accepted but wish I could fix.  Genuinely refreshing to read that website.

Prozac, that post is the best we've had in a long time.  

Maybe... with the NOTAM system imploding... maybe the US govt will give itself a bailout??

Frankly though, it's the NOTAM system internally revolting against its woke name change.

But seriously, who actually reads all the NOTAMS?  Just look at them until your eyes glaze over while you daydream of something else for 6.9 seconds.  

Maybe book publishers should take a hint from the NOTAM system and print all books in ALL CAPS.  

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

Prozac, that post is the best we've had in a long time.  

Maybe... with the NOTAM system imploding... maybe the US govt will give itself a bailout??

Frankly though, it's the NOTAM system internally revolting against its woke name change.

But seriously, who actually reads all the NOTAMS?  Just look at them until your eyes glaze over while you daydream of something else for 6.9 seconds.  

Maybe book publishers should take a hint from the NOTAM system and print all books in ALL CAPS.  

Brotha, I think most here would call me fairly progressive but even I have a limit regarding ridiculousnesses. 😎 As any professional pilot knows, the NOTAM system has been badly broken for a loooong time. It’s absolutely gang loaded with chaff written by lawyers. I remember when one particular base got completely overloaded with NOTAMs describing every obstacle over 50ft within a couple miles of any direction of any runway, lest anyone forget that that particular area happened to be wooded. Meanwhile, the NOTAM about the ALS being out of service was poorly written & buried somewhere between the obstacle stuff & one that I think was about BQZip’s mom’s mass having an effect on local weather systems. Hopefully Mayor Pete sees an opportunity to do some good here. Maybe he can even work with our former congressman who might be pining for the SOT position once Buttigieg becomes Klobuchar’s (why are all their names so fucking hard to spell?) running mate. 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Awesome link, thank you for posting!  Pages of worthless NOTAMS with “runway closed” buried in the middle is one of many frustrating realities I’ve accepted but wish I could fix.  Genuinely refreshing to read that website.

Circa brand new Major SocialD days...I'm the flight lead on an AOS from the states to Eastern Europe.  I have 2 very young wingman (1 fairly weak swimmer) and a solid flight lead (generally) as my number 3.  The AOS rep (a Nav...foreshadowing!) briefs the notams as "no big show stoppers," and hands me the printout of notams.  I hand them to my number 3 and ask him to take a peak and make sure we're good, then go about my other duties.  

Fast forward to the middle of the Atlantic as we prep for another AR...bad news, boom won't unstow.  Only real options for an MRB is either Keflavik or Lossiemouth (is that even a real place?).  Lossiemouth is OVC003, +RA and direct cross at 20kts and we have just enough gas to make it there with IFR reserves.  KEF is winds calm and CAVOK and we'll be burners and boards to burn some gas for landing...obvious choice is KEF.  Check in with KEF approach and the conversation goes as follows;

Approach: Confirm you have the notam for the shortened runway? 

Me: (on AUX)....ummm 3, WTF?!?!  

#3:  Standby...

Approach:  Runway is shortened to 2,100 meters....

Me:  *pondering what that is in real units of measurement*

#2: (nerd type)...that's like 6,900 feet.

Me:  STFU #2...3 isn't that like 6,900 feet?

Me:  You awake 3?

#3:  Ya sorry dude, the runway notam was in the middle of page 2 of the KEF notams. 

On the plus side, we got to do an epic VFR tour of Iceland at like 4,000 ft while we burned gas.  FYSA, we can only go below 8k with an OG waiver.  Or...6,900 feet with a 4-ship flight lead, we ain't got anywhere else to go waiver. :thefinger:

Bottom line...never trust a fucking NAV!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, SocialD said:

Circa brand new Major SocialD days...I'm the flight lead on an AOS from the states to Eastern Europe.  I have 2 very young wingman (1 fairly weak swimmer) and a solid flight lead (generally) as my number 3.  The AOS rep (a Nav...foreshadowing!) briefs the notams as "no big show stoppers," and hands me the printout of notams.  I hand them to my number 3 and ask him to take a peak and make sure we're good, then go about my other duties.  

Fast forward to the middle of the Atlantic as we prep for another AR...bad news, boom won't unstow.  Only real options for an MRB is either Keflavik or Lossiemouth (is that even a real place?).  Lossiemouth is OVC003, +RA and direct cross at 20kts and we have just enough gas to make it there with IFR reserves.  KEF is winds calm and CAVOK and we'll be burners and boards to burn some gas for landing...obvious choice is KEF.  Check in with KEF approach and the conversation goes as follows;

Approach: Confirm you have the notam for the shortened runway? 

Me: (on AUX)....ummm 3, WTF?!?!  

#3:  Standby...

Approach:  Runway is shortened to 2,100 meters....

Me:  *pondering what that is in real units of measurement*

#2: (nerd type)...that's like 6,900 feet.

Me:  STFU #2...3 isn't that like 6,900 feet?

Me:  You awake 3?

#3:  Ya sorry dude, the runway notam was in the middle of page 2 of the KEF notams. 

On the plus side, we got to do an epic VFR tour of Iceland at like 4,000 ft while we burned gas.  FYSA, we can only go below 8k with an OG waiver.  Or...6,900 feet with a 4-ship flight lead, we ain't got anywhere else to go waiver. :thefinger:

Bottom line...never trust a fucking NAV!

Should have went to Lossie 🙂 Smack dab in the middle of the best scotch distilleries in the world.  

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, uhhello said:

Should have went to Lossie 🙂 Smack dab in the middle of the best scotch distilleries in the world.  

Kef has better local wildlife viewing tho…😎

Depends on one’s priorities. 

6 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

There might not be enough Scotch in Scotland to bring the British women up to Nordic standards...

Oh?

This is Liz Hurley when she was 50 years old... you Nordic-loving racist. 

131A967E-E581-4BB0-875A-DF4209B2FC11.jpeg

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Haha 1