The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

Cabotage, War in Eastern Asia/Pacific, Amazon, single pilot ops, recession, economy slowing down...plenty of boogeymen out there.  It's all a crapshoot, none of us have a crystal ball.  Go to where you can make plenty of money with the most amount of time NOT at work, then hope for the best. LOL.

Anyway, how about them contract negotiations?! :banghead:

Cabotage, War in Eastern Asia/Pacific, Amazon, single pilot ops, recession, economy slowing down...plenty of boogeymen out there.  It's all a crapshoot, none of us have a crystal ball.  Go to where you can make plenty of money with the most amount of time NOT at work, then hope for the best. LOL.

Anyway, how about them contract negotiations?! :banghead:

No major airline management wants to incur additional labor costs. Better vote in those strike authorizations to drive the point.

2 hours ago, herkbum said:

I stayed at the TWA Hotel at JFK the other day. It’s like a time warp. Wish I had more time to check it out fully, but min ground time.

Definitely one of the coolest layovers.  You gotta check out Connie.

• Upvote 1

The cargo side will reveal a lot more after peak is over. Perhaps a quarter or maybe two will paint a much cleaner picture and perhaps some stabilization to be hopeful once companies get their ducks aligned properly. Saw lower lines for the most part depending on base at my outfit of course. Spectator sport as a line flyer as it’s way above anyones pay grade on any forum. Always good to prepare for whatever.

AAL probably painted that jet in TWA colors then specifically made sure TWA guys didn't fly it.  You know, just to em one more time! 🤣

Actually scheduled them on that tail then waited until they were at the gate so they could see it, then rescheduled them to another aircraft/city pair and extended them into an off day.
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

Actually scheduled them on that tail then waited until they were at the gate so they could see it, then rescheduled them to another aircraft/city pair and extended them into an off day.

And that reroute was a DH in the middle seat of the last row in a 73, only to canx the flight they DH’d to.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brabus said:

And that reroute was a DH in the middle seat of the last row in a 73, only to canx the flight they DH’d to.

And all the hotels were booked on arrival...Wait, are we talking about every single narrowbody sequence of July 2022?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If a 4yr degree is not required by most of the majors, then being a commercial pilot is the best paying blue collar job on the planet. Just build up those hours any way possible with that HS diploma or GED.

Edited by alwyn2d

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Royal said:

What's the latest scuttlebutt on negotiations for everyone? The AAL's BOD is reviewing the TA at the moment. It does NOT look promising.

If what I saw earlier today is what the AAL BODs is reviewing, then we're all likely screwed.  Here's hoping it gets shot down.  

• Like 1

If what I saw earlier today is what the AAL BODs is reviewing, then we're all likely screwed.  Here's hoping it gets shot down.  

All rumors at this point because the BoD has a quiet period for review of proposals, but modest pay and the same industry-lagging bankruptcy-era work rules sounds underwhelming.

That is largely true.  Many of the union guys involved in or that voted for the TA faced recall. 

With inflation at a record high and the writing on the wall that profits are going up to pre-covid levels, the companies have no motivation for serious negotiations.  If I were corporate leadership, I'd start with a vastly underwhelming offer, then offer a small concession every few months just to keep kicking the can down the road while pretending to be negotiating in good faith.  Meanwhile, inflation is basically giving me labor at 10% cheaper per year while I'm selling tickets at 30-40% higher than last year.  Every year I can prolong finalizing a new contract, the better my profits.  And if the union is dumb enough to accept a mediocre offer in the meantime, then win-win.  I would bet that is why we're not hearing anything.  Inflation has given the company the upper hand and they know it.

The speculated AA TA is hot garbage. If the truth is even close to that, I hope AA pilots aren’t dumb enough to vote yes.

A lot of top heavy new balance dudes still who are looking at that increase in LTD as a meal ticket.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Royal said:

What's the latest scuttlebutt on negotiations for everyone? The AAL's BOD is reviewing the TA at the moment. It does NOT look promising.

I heard Alaska is happy with their new TA? So-so pay bump, but I’m told big fixes to work rules. And I think a snap-up too? Going to be high stakes when everyone adds a snap up and it all comes down to the final major to reach a TA that’ll carry the hopes of the industry along with it.