The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

2 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

All checks. The one legacy I have a CJO with called me 10 months out…crazy. I’d have just thought that inside 4 month out, in this environment, I would have maybe heard from a few more… Either way, I’ll gladly go with the one I have, if nothing else materializes!

Are you updating your apps weekly? You should be if you’re not. 

Been closely monitoring for over 18 months now….it ebbs and flows at each legacy. 

Had buddies get called from DAL 6-9 months out but nothing from AA For 2-3 months and UA 3-4.

I got a UA CJO 8 months out. YMMV. 

Unless you’re within 30 days of terminal and haven’t heard anything you’ve got nothing to worry about and if you are in that situation you’re probably a bob that had piss poor planning anyway. 

Edited by FT11

@WheelsOff Anecdotal story: I submitted at DAL and UAL same time, DAL called 1.69 weeks later and I still haven’t heard a peep from UAL. Navy dude in my interview group exact opposite 5 months prior. He’s been carrying a UAL CJO for 5 months without a peep from DAL (waiting to leave AD), and then gets a DAL call a month out from separation…he’s now going DAL. 

How many recs (including internals) do you have at your desired company?

@brabusYa I’ve seen quite a few iterations of that story with the bros here as well. I have 6 internal recs with the company I’m still waiting on. Talked with their recruiters one on one at 2 job fairs now. Other than whipping it out on the table, I’ve done everything I can to get them to look at me. It will happen eventually I think, just kinda hard to make a solid plan on “what ifs” and then move the wife/kids on a short timeline if/when they call, especially in this current housing market. 

Otherwise, we’ll find a way to try and stay put and see what shakes out. I’m happy with the CJO I have already, so it’s really a first world problem I’m bitching about here.

2 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

then move the wife/kids on a short timeline if/when they call, especially in this current housing market. 

Why are you moving the wife and kids when they call?  Maybe you want to move eventually, but changing airline jobs doesn't mandate a move right away and maybe not ever.

Edited by nunya
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

@brabusYa I’ve seen quite a few iterations of that story with the bros here as well. I have 6 internal recs with the company I’m still waiting on. Talked with their recruiters one on one at 2 job fairs now. Other than whipping it out on the table, I’ve done everything I can to get them to look at me. It will happen eventually I think, just kinda hard to make a solid plan on “what ifs” and then move the wife/kids on a short timeline if/when they call, especially in this current housing market. 

Otherwise, we’ll find a way to try and stay put and see what shakes out. I’m happy with the CJO I have already, so it’s really a first world problem I’m bitching about here.

im glad you recognize this as a first world problem. you could have separated in 2020 during a pandemic...when no one was hiring...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nunya said:

Why are you moving the wife and kids when they call?  Maybe you want to move eventually, but changing airline jobs doesn't mandate a move right away and maybe not ever.

Long story. Generally speaking though, what you’re saying is true. 

12 hours ago, nunya said:

Just curious, if retiring active duty do you still have a year for the paid for move/final pcs if you will to most anywhere you choose? (Might be based on your initial active duty entry point?) Or was it just having your goods in storage for one year and being able to extend every year up to five years if you submit your request on time?

*UPS may still move you on their dime to base? Or was that FedEx, or both?

Congrats on those moving into their newly chosen career destinations. Enjoy the differences and we’ll done!

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

19 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

It will happen eventually I think, just kinda hard to make a solid plan on “what ifs”

Completely understand the stress of living under “what ifs.” I know a few guys who went through 1-2 airlines in a relatively short amount of time prior to landing at their #1. Sounds painful for all the training and restarts, but long term their decision probably makes sense given their personal life desires. So, even “worst case” you take the current CJO and get called 4 months into that job - fuck it, jump ship and start over at #1 if that’s best for your long term life. 

• Like 2

A couple of questions from someone looking at options towards the end of my commitment. Background is fighter test, so only got about 1300 hours.

Does an R-ATP do anything actually useful for you?

Is it worth it to just pay 30k to get the other 200 hours in private rentals?

Just curious, if retiring active duty do you still have a year for the paid for move/final pcs if you will to most anywhere you choose? (Might be based on your initial active duty entry point?) Or was it just having your goods in storage for one year and being able to extend every year up to five years if you submit your request on time?
*UPS may still move you on their dime to base? Or was that FedEx, or both?
Congrats on those moving into their newly chosen career destinations. Enjoy the differences and we’ll done!

Yep, retirement move within a year and Separation move is 6 months.

On 4/29/2022 at 2:26 AM, SurelySerious said:

Have they done a pro app review? As you’re aware, can catch errors one wouldn’t realize they had that could keep even the otherwise best applicant from getting a call.

I'm assuming they have. 
But irrespective... in this climate, I would find it rather amazing that these pilots, with their extensive turbine aviation backgrounds and letters of rec would be overlooked due to a missed error on their application. 

Certainiy, it's up to these pilots to produce an error-feee product... but c'mon. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1

Have a buddy at Southwest who posted this:

We had a full class of 30 new hires; only 10 showed up for class, why? Long time to upgrade (10+ YEARS), we fly more than our peers for same or less pay, poor contract. Not so at Delta and FedEx…for starters….

56 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Have a buddy at Southwest who posted this:

We had a full class of 30 new hires; only 10 showed up for class, why? Long time to upgrade (10+ YEARS), we fly more than our peers for same or less pay, poor contract. Not so at Delta and FedEx…for starters….

That sucks.  WN was my rock solid #1 choice, which was really an emotional position more than anything else due to family ties.  Hell, if they cold called me right now I'd seriously consider bailing on my 3yr legacy spot.  Unfortunately, while I was updating that application most frequently, it was the least penetrable of all the majors.  I had the longest list of contacts on property who were willing to walk my resume into whatever office necessary to get me a call.  Unfortunately, HR had (and assuming still has) an iron grip on the hiring process.  Hell, one of my senior CA references said that if Rocky himself owed you a huge poker debt there was nothing even he could do to budge the needle.

FedEx learned their lesson and course corrected.  Hopefully WN follows suit.

17 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

Yep, retirement move within a year and Separation move is 6 months.

Thanks to both of you answering this. Didn’t think an immediate move was paramount, but with kids (school year) and other priorities it does make sense to get settled in before all the initial mayhem/stress starts. 
*Storage answered as well, thx.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747