The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

Anyone ever attend any of the aviation conferences for meet and greets? I’m the 9 millionth generic white man in aviation but if I was a woman (WAI), black person (OBAP), or gay person (NGPA), and all these folks show up purely to meet somebody from an airline and not at all to support the purpose of the conference, I’d be pretty annoyed by that.

Anyone ever attend any of the aviation conferences for meet and greets? I’m the 9 millionth generic white man in aviation but if I was a woman (WAI), black person (OBAP), or gay person (NGPA), and all these folks show up purely to meet somebody from an airline and not at all to support the purpose of the conference, I’d be pretty annoyed by that.
In this hiring climate, don't waste your time, money and/or energy. Those things are the biggest shlong swinging contests you'll ever attend (and yes, even the WIA...). Just submit your apps and update them bi-weekly.

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

and all these folks show up purely to meet somebody from an airline and not at all to support the purpose of the conference, I’d be pretty annoyed by that.

1. I don't think you'll need to go to those fairs to get interviewed.
  2. A bunch of dudes that don't fit the theme is part of the game - not gonna change any time soon.
  3. They'd be a lot more annoyed if you went to a White, Cis, Male Hetero Pilot's Association Conference.

11 hours ago, Danger41 said:

They aren't annoyed at all. Your white male money and airline ambitions are what make those conferences possible.

In this hiring climate, don't waste your time, money and/or energy. Those things are the biggest shlong swinging contests you'll ever attend (and yes, even the WIA...). Just submit your apps and update them bi-weekly.

This^^

Near Zero effort for qual’d military to get picked up right now.

I had no interview prep, no digital logbook, no resume check, no internal airline recs, 1x letter of rec from my buddy who isn’t an airline pilot and still got called 7 mos from availability date.
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheNewGazmo said:
3 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:
They aren't annoyed at all. Your white male money and airline ambitions are what make those conferences possible.

And your money and "membership" is what funds minority programs and grants to help get these groups into aviation.

Who's funding programs and grants for poor white people to get into aviation?

23 minutes ago, jazzdude said:
2 hours ago, ItnStln said:
Who's funding programs and grants for poor white people to get into aviation?

Civil air patrol and AFJROTC for high schoolers. ROTC and military academies for college age, though those come with a commitment

Since when are AFROTC, AFJROTC & CAP not allowing minorities to join? It seems like there are no programs or grants for poor white people to get into aviation whereas there are a plethora of said programs for minorities. This sounds both racist and sexist to me, and hetrophobic as well.

57 minutes ago, ItnStln said:

Since when are AFROTC, AFJROTC & CAP not allowing minorities to join? It seems like there are no programs or grants for poor white people to get into aviation whereas there are a plethora of said programs for minorities. This sounds both racist and sexist to me, and hetrophobic as well.

Well, I can see us going down a rabbit hole with this one, but I think we can all agree in general that people of color have had less professional opportunities than your average white dude.  I am a white dude and I can acknowledge that.  I can go into a decertation as to why this has been and will continue to be an issue in this country until things significantly change (on both sides of the fence), but I will say that I think a lot of people in these groups are in this predicament because of the way your average white dude has treated them, because of the way your average white dude has dominated how the legal system operates and how your average white dude could care less about cleaning up areas of poverty predominantly occupied by people of color.  I acknowledge that poverty has no color, but you can't tell me that your average white household living below the poverty line has generations upon generations of family members who've been discriminated upon and who've dealt with the social injustices of other minorities.  Just my .02.

Edited by TheNewGazmo
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, ItnStln said:

AFROTC requires you to pay for college. Unless you get a scholarship put of high school...which requires high academic achievement. 

Guess what's correlated to academic achievement? 

Well, I can see us going down a rabbit hole with this one, but I think we can all agree in general that people of color have had less professional opportunities than your average white dude.  I am a white dude and I can acknowledge that.  I can go into a decertation as to why this has been and will continue to be an issue in this country until things significantly change (on both sides of the fence), but I will say that I think a lot of people in these groups are in this predicament because of the way your average white dude has treated them, because of the way your average white dude has dominated how the legal system operates and how your average white dude could care less about cleaning up areas of poverty predominantly occupied by people of color.  I acknowledge that poverty has no color, but you can't tell me that your average white household living below the poverty line has generations upon generations of family members who've been discriminated upon and who've dealt with the social injustices of other minorities.  Just my .02.

Nope. We can’t all agree.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mostly because you were wanting to argue. You state things then say believe me I know what I’m talking about. Then refresh your page every 30 seconds waiting for someone to not agree with you.

Note all I said is we can’t all agree. I think it’s pretty bold of you to make a exclusive claim then claim everyone agrees with you. Then not really cite anything.

Just my .02.

Those opportunities I listed are available to many (though may be restricted by where you live), regardless of the applicant's race, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation. Including the poor white demographic you mention.

Why should you care if a special interest/minority group wants to fund a scholarship or grant for their community? It doesn't take away opportunities for the majority of people, especially when we're talking into to flying and breaking into the aviation career field.
  • Upvote 1

AFROTC requires you to pay for college. Unless you get a scholarship put of high school...which requires high academic achievement. 
Guess what's correlated to academic achievement? 

There are other paths to scholarships besides academic achievement, and the are grants and loan programs for low income students.

But I get your point, it's easier to excel and compete for scholarships of your family has the means to help push your development, whether through academics, sports, arts, etc.

Or there's always the enlist and use the GI Bill or other enlisted to officer programs, though timings became a lot tighter on the road to wings.

I will also say it's sad to see military aero clubs mostly go by the wayside, as that removed another means for military members to pursue their aviation dreams.

3 hours ago, TheNewGazmo said:

decthe force is strong in this one - Strong in this one the self-loathing is

"decertation" or dissertation?  I think I begin to understand your post...