The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

8 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

Anyone worked an airline schedule with 50/50 custody of their child?

I do know of guys that make it work.  The important thing when analyzing these kinds of situations is that what works or doesn't work for someone else DOES NOT indicate likely success or failure for you.  Each case is very unique, and should be treated as such.  You'd be surprised how it can be done.

Example: One guy flies for Allegiant, is home almost every night, and has grandparents that help out with custody.

Edited by FourFans130

43 minutes ago, Agent P said:

Is there any legal problem with going to airline training while on regular leave? 

Got a lot to burn and want to use it up at indoc then sim training 

Technically you’d need approval from big blue to pick up a second job. 

and some airlines want you on no-shit terminal … but it’s been a while since I was in your place so I don’t know if that’s changed. 

• Upvote 1

Is there any legal problem with going to airline training while on regular leave? 

I did all my training on terminal leave. Deltas only requirement is you are not in a PTDY status or and have days after the first day of indoc you have to return to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically you’d need approval from big blue to pick up a second job. 

and some airlines want you on no-shit terminal … but it’s been a while since I was in your place so I don’t know if that’s changed. 

I don’t think that’s technically true. There is a form your CC can fill out and approve outside employment. But it’s not required. Just as long as your other job is on a non interference basis and doesn’t have a conflict of interest. Meaning you can’t do a job that is directly related to your mil job. Because that would create a bias. Otherwise as long as you don’t have a bias and you are doing it on your free time or leave that has been approved, there shouldn’t be any legal issue. With regards to the airlines, I have no idea. But I’ve known people flying for the majors prior to terminal. And on active duty or guard or reserve.

2 hours ago, Agent P said:

Question: Why would you not be on terminal in this situation?

Because how are you going to go back to your AD job after indoc/sim? Or start flying the line while still in the military?

4 hours ago, Agent P said:

There's not many ways to permanently fuck up an airline career, but getting fired off of probation and having to explain it at every future interview because you tried to pull some slick shit at the end of active duty and got caught is probably one of them.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, StoleIt said:

Question: Why would you not be on terminal in this situation?

Because how are you going to go back to your AD job after indoc/sim? Or start flying the line while still in the military?

Guard guy on long term (not AGR) orders, I'm just wanting to finish the set of orders I'm on in leave status and double dip legally and use up my leave, not returning to on-orders status and just DSG from that point on.

23 minutes ago, joe1234 said:

There's not many ways to permanently up an airline career, but getting fired off of probation and having to explain it at every future interview because you tried to pull some slick shit at the end of active duty and got caught is probably one of them.

Very true and hence the question

3 minutes ago, Hacker said:

This is a stupid idea.

Rog, more context - DSG dude on orders with an end date that would occur inside of when I'm at training.

If I'm on leave while at Airline X and in training and all my supervisors on the Guard side know it, you think the airline would have a problem with it?

I'm NOT trying to go on leave, train with Airline X and then immediately drop mil leave and go back on orders.

For those that work at AA:

What’s your honest thoughts/opinions on where the company is headed in the long term?

I ask, because of all my bros currently at the different airlines, it’s only several of the ones who work for AA that seem to express any reasonable doubt/concern/hesitation about their company when you talk with them about it. I’d be living in one of their main domiciles and not commuting, close to family, so that’s the big driver for me.

Definitely not trying to stir the pot or fling any poo…read enough of that from all the booger-flickers over on the APC forums… Thanks for sharing any insight!

4 minutes ago, WheelsOff said:

For those that work at AA:

What’s your honest thoughts/opinions on where the company is headed in the long term?

I ask, because of all my bros currently at the different airlines, it’s only several of the ones who work for AA that seem to express any reasonable doubt/concern/hesitation about their company when you talk with them about it. I’d be living in one of their main domiciles and not commuting, close to family, so that’s the big driver for me.

Definitely not trying to stir the pot or fling any poo…read enough of that from all the booger-flickers over on the APC forums… Thanks for sharing any insight!

I've been with AA for a little over 3 years.  I don't get much into the politics and armchair financial analysis, but I really don't see the company going anywhere.  The job is 100x better than the full-time ANG job I had before for various reasons.  I live in domicile with a relatively short drive to the airport.  99.99999% of the people I've worked with here absolutely great.  Contracts change and we'll be getting a new one soon.  Your progression to a wide-body may be a bit slower than other companies, but narrow-body captain is going to get more and more junior.  I believe this last bid has a LGA 737 captain with a hire date about 6 months before mine.  I've done a lot of mil leave over the past year and a half with COVID (got furloughed for a month), but I've definitely missed the job when I am not there.  The past 6 months or so has been busy with a lot of manning issues, but I know that's going to get better.  I'm on the 320 and now that hiring has started again, I've moved up about 6% in equip/base just over the past few months.  There is definitely some post-merger drama that still exists with a few individuals, but just about all the captains I've flown with have been great.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Agent P said:

Guard guy on long term (not AGR) orders, I'm just wanting to finish the set of orders I'm on in leave status and double dip legally and use up my leave, not returning to on-orders status and just DSG from that point on.

You know what, the only one who can 100% answer that question is the training department at your airline. Call them up and ask them, and let us know what they say.

edited to add: Just sell the leave back dude. Stop trying to game a system that you have no experience with. We don't even know which airline you're talking about, so the question is pointless.

Edited by joe1234

49 minutes ago, Agent P said:

Rog, more context - DSG dude on orders with an end date that would occur inside of when I'm at training.

If I'm on leave while at Airline X and in training and all my supervisors on the Guard side know it, you think the airline would have a problem with it?

I'm NOT trying to go on leave, train with Airline X and then immediately drop mil leave and go back on orders.

There are USERRA issues with doing things like this.  Have your unit curtail your orders and cash your leave in.   You are still on AD while on leave.  What happens if you are hurt while away at training?  Does AA cover it or the ANG?  

Edited by TheNewGazmo

18 minutes ago, Guardian said:

I think he’s asking for specifics of what those USERRA issues are.

Well I am no JAG, but if he is talking about long-term orders that aren't AGR, they are most likely Title 10 MPA orders funded by the gaining MAJCOM.  Taking accrued leave associated with a long-term MPA tour is not considered "Terminal Leave", which to my knowledge, is the only type of leave that allows starting a civilian job while in a leave status.

Edited by TheNewGazmo

How "long term" were the orders?  If under a year, and if they won't extend the order for you to take it, sell it all back.  There is no career limit on how much leave you can sell from orders less than a year and if they're not going to extend the order, you'll make more money selling it.  Besides, the money you'll make by double dipping for a month is peanuts to what you could lose in the long run.  I'm in the right seat in our lowest paying category and this week I'll make more than I would in a month as a 20 year O-5. 

Best of luck! 

• Like 1

I know multiple guys who have gone to indoc/started initial training on leave at the end of various types of orders. No issues amongst the mil or airlines. They will likely want you to submit orders and leave approval to prove the situation is legit, but AA didn’t even do that for a couple guys I know. Now trying to knock out indoc on leave while you still have a year left on the current orders - that’s a different story. 

EDIT: Probably the “cleanest” COA is what SocialD said - curtail orders and sell the leave. But you will lose money on that deal assuming you are working at the airline during the time period you could have been double dipping. Selling back only nets you base pay after taxes. 

Edited by brabus
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Agent P said:

I've seen a few active duty pilots do this successfully.  In all cases, the pilots were transparent with their CC's/leadership and everyone made it work.  But I recall this being a week or two... not months.  

I do not "speak Guard" and your multitude of types of orders you are on... but I'd say if you are transparent and trust your leadership to provide top cover, it can be done seamlessly.  

What are the risks?  I don't know.  I'm sure there are some.  Personally, I would not do it.  

Edited by HuggyU2

Spoke with my airline mentor today and described it, he said multiple dudes have done what I am asking to do without issue but to make sure no orders extension, orders end before training is over, leave covers the entire period and have the orders marked as Terminal as I will be ending my tour from FTNGD on these T32 orders.  

My risk mitigation is to have the OG sign the leave request (he's ok with my plan), state in the Remarks section pre-retirement employment training and document coordination & approval in an email if things get weird.  

If shit gets crazy, I'll let go of my double secret probation double dip legally plan and cash the leave out at retirement date, it's just so far all my direct POCs have not shut the door on this.  My orders run out in 3 months with no more requested or expected.

• Like 2

Not throwing spears, but I've heard many guys say "USERRA requires...." and not be correct.  USERRA is a relatively short document, the rules are really pretty general, and it is a fairly easy read.  If you are military and have another job, just read it yourself instead of relying on internet pilot lawyers.  They won't be out a job if you get fired and they won't be out your two months of BAH, etc if you sell your leave unnecessarily.

Probably 1/3 of most indoc pilots are on terminal leave.  If it is not terminal leave, have a good faith plan for your transition.  Communicate that plan to your commander and the airlines.  They will tell you if they have a problem with it.  Chances are that if it is no kidding a good faith effort to transition without having to drop any mil leave during your indoc or sims, and just use your leave in a suto-terminal manner, you're probably good.  But, just like that reading rainbow guy says, don't take my word for it.  Read it yourself and if you don't think that the leave status will allow outside employment, ask your JAG.  That would be a military requirement; from what I recall from the last time I read it, it doesn't specify anything about types of leave.

https://www.justice.gov/crt-military/userra-statute

On 1/17/2022 at 7:19 PM, Smokin said:

That would be a military requirement; from what I recall from the last time I read it, it doesn't specify anything about types of leave.

You’re not wrong, and of course the other piece of that is the airline policy. My memories are vague on this, but I think either my application or interview invite had some requirement that read along the lines of “military must be fully retired/separated or on terminal leave prior to the class date.” Then at the interview I remember signing something and later was asked to verbally attest to that. So, I have no recommendation about what to do, just a data point to consider how you’d respond.