The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

On 10/29/2021 at 12:19 PM, FLEA said:

He was actually reviewing resumes for free. I had him look at mine and he definitely had a more nuanced approach than the prep companies there doing the same. He said he used to be a Capt for Delta and United I think. 

Not sure about Delta but he and I were among the "570" that were hired by UAL in '85 to cross the picket line should (and did) the UAL pilots go on strike.  No one cross and UAL eventually hired the 570 and I believe he was one of them.  I went elsewhere, which in the long term was the correct decision for me.

Don't get me wrong, Kit and his previous partner, Louis Smith, are the good guys that were at the fore front in helping all of us be better prepared for the airline hiring process.

Louis Smith - Chairman and President of FAPA.aero | FAPA.aero | Meet the Team

What Huggy described in so few words, is what so many of us went through: furloughs, pay cuts, reduced or no pension (no defined contribution plans back then), mergers and BK's.  2008 seems to have been the turning point for the airlines.

Edited by Springer

On 11/1/2021 at 10:14 AM, BashiChuni said:

alright for the brain trust...WWYD...stay at DAL (1st year) and commute (living in DFW)

or

go to AA and eventually live in base at DFW?

good problems to have!

On 11/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, HossHarris said:

Move to a delta base or commute. 

Completely disagree. The first consideration: Where do you live? Work there.

I have friends at Delta (I'm AA) and I crush them on earnings and hours flown. But I work the system. What type of person are you?

If you are the I just fly my schedule type, then go Delta and move to a Delta base. If you are the I live in the loopholes type, then you want the airline with the most problems. That's AA 😂🤣.

Like someone above said, the particulars of the loopholes don't matter, you won't be able to appreciate them anyways. But by this point in your life (and especially after being in the military) you should know which type of person you are.

But in either case, if DFW is where you are staying, American and Southwest are your options (or cargo, if you can do that lifestyle). We have pilots from nearly every airline living in our Airpark in DFW. I don't know a single one that wouldn't transfer to American if they could take their seniority with them.

30 minutes ago, Internationalmesa said:

Anyone know of Army helicopter pilots in the airlines? If so, how did that transition go?

Know of at least three at my company. Probably significantly more than that. All had some army C-12/fixed wing time. A couple did some time at the regionals. The other one spent time with Dynamic (civ ISR) and then ACMI before ending up at a career airline. 

13 hours ago, Internationalmesa said:

Anyone know of Army helicopter pilots in the airlines? If so, how did that transition go?

Met several at RTAG, which was actually started as an event to advocate for Rotary to Airlines. 

13 hours ago, Internationalmesa said:

I know a quite a few helo types in the regionals, only a couple in the majors. The dudes in the majors now spent a good bit of time flying regionals, and one was a contract ISR bubba after helos.

2 hours ago, Bigred said:

I know a quite a few helo types in the regionals, only a couple in the majors. The dudes in the majors now spent a good bit of time flying regionals, and one was a contract ISR bubba after helos.

How is the lifestyle of a senior regional pilot? Also, how long did the helo guys stay at the regional before bumping to the majors?

16 minutes ago, Internationalmesa said:

How is the lifestyle of a senior regional pilot? Also, how long did the helo guys stay at the regional before bumping to the majors?

Can't speak to the lifestyle, but the general feeling I get is that it's less glamorous than you'd like...but it's only for a season. 

I interviewed at a regional along side another applicant who was career apache guy (no fixed with time).  We both guy the CJO.  He was told to expect about 2-4 years there based on needing to transition to the left seat (1-2 year) then get 500 (1 year)-1000 TPIC (2ish years) depending on where he was trying to get hired next.  He seems surprised it would be that quick.  It all depends on hiring movement...and right now it's moving quick.

For context, that was late 2019 pre-covid.  Not sure the environment now.  One lesson I did learn in all my interviews: publish the app and push submit as soon as the app is ready, and let the companies sort out who to hire.  You can't get hired if you don't publish the app.  Go for it!

Edited by FourFans130
words

Remember that some of the carriers out there do not require Turbine PIC time to get hired.  There were two in my DAL class in 2014 who had zero TPIC (with no connection and not minorities).  With a background like that and the hiring situation today, I could see it being much shorter stay at the regionals than some expect.  Big thing would be getting the fixed-wing time requirement.  

Technique I heard at RTAG:

A lot of them were using DoD Skills bridge to get employed at an FBO as a flight school instructor for 6 months. They were using this to pad some fixed wing time and hours. 

This may be harder with the new skills bridge rules but something to look into. 

• Like 1

Technique I heard at RTAG:
A lot of them were using DoD Skills bridge to get employed at an FBO as a flight school instructor for 6 months. They were using this to pad some fixed wing time and hours. 
This may be harder with the new skills bridge rules but something to look into. 

Skillsbridge was too good, probably the best transition program the DoD has ever had. So, logically, they had to hamstring it. For retention.
  • Upvote 1

On 11/1/2021 at 10:14 AM, BashiChuni said:

alright for the brain trust...WWYD...stay at DAL (1st year) and commute (living in DFW)

or

go to AA and eventually live in base at DFW?

good problems to have!

DFW has been awarded on newhire’s first vacancy bid lately.  Barely out of indoc, that quick.  March just published a few weeks ago, and the DFW plug had been on property 5 weeks (Sep 8 hire, Oct 15 final award).  So that new hire should finish IOE around now, commute to LGA/MIA/LAX till their DFW effective date of Jan 1.

For that matter, based on the forecasts contained in the vacancy announcements, I can’t imagine that DFW won’t make a showing in the indoc drop shortly.

Edited by BFM this
color commentary

13 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

Is the health of the company AA vs. DL something you’d consider as a new hire?

or would you just take the in base domicile 

If you are for sure wanting to or going to live in domicile, go with that specific airline.  
If you’re going to commute, go with the stronger airline.  

***** commuting sucks *****

54 minutes ago, icohftb said:

Thoughts on SWA vs AA as PHX dweller? 

Southwest has a bigger presence. There's always been a question at American as to whether or not Phoenix has a long-term future for AA. Considering how weak our footprint is in the west, I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon, but we certainly don't treat it like it has a future of growth. 

That being said, they decided to make Charlotte a megabase, so anything is possible. If you want to fly something other than the 737, then your decision is made for you.

5 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

If you want to fly something other than the 737, then your decision is made for you.

That seems to be one of the major benefits of AA and it seems they have more ralid seniority at this time. However if I were to stay NB to remain in base is it reasonable to assume schedule/qol/salary would be about equivalent?