The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

1 hour ago, Fast_N_Low135 said:

Does anyone else find it ironic that the airline tread has just turned into the financial advice thread, or is it just me?

Not at all.

The entire point of an airline career is to work little and get paid a lot...it isn't about the passion or enjoyment of flying.

An airline career gives you both the time and finances to enjoy life outside of work, rather than simply cramming your families, hobbies, and other passions into the little crevasses around that supermajority chunk of your time and emotional energy that a military career demands.

Manage that money correctly, and you'll be able to retire early and *really* do whatever it is you would do if you had financial freedom (like fly cool shit for fun!)

IMG_1190.JPG.0b4f644ac31c665437d761e76769c166.JPG

• Like 14

44 minutes ago, Hacker said:

Not at all.

The entire point of an airline career is to work little and get paid a lot...it isn't about the passion or enjoyment of flying.

An airline career gives you both the time and finances to enjoy life outside of work, rather than simply cramming your families, hobbies, and other passions into the little crevasses around that supermajority chunk of your time and emotional energy that a military career demands.

Manage that money correctly, and you'll be able to retire early and *really* do whatever it is you would do if you had financial freedom (like fly cool shit for fun!)

IMG_1190.JPG.0b4f644ac31c665437d761e76769c166.JPG

I fully agree being a major airline pilot myself.  My comment was tongue in cheek, my sarcasm emulator is clearly malfunctioning.

1 hour ago, Fast_N_Low135 said:

I fully agree being a major airline pilot myself.  My comment was tongue in cheek, my sarcasm emulator is clearly malfunctioning.

Nah, I'd guess it's mine that needs to be written up. 

4 hours ago, Fast_N_Low135 said:

Does anyone else find it ironic that the airline tread has just turned into the financial advice thread, or is it just me?

Next we'll dive into religion, politics, and COVID and it'll be just like the longest 5-day in history!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheNewGazmo said:

Lesson #1 in the ATP ground school should be - Avoid Marriage at all costs.
Lesson #2 in the ATP ground school should be - Understanding the beauties of the Prenup (if you failed Lesson #1).

Fixed it for you.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I figured the thread would morph into how airline pilot develop alimony mitigation strategies to deal with four ex-trophy wives.

Three easy steps: Move to the Philippines. Marry LBFM thirty years your junior. Give middle finger to prior ex’s. Might seem a bit extreme but this is a well worn path my friends. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Prozac said:

Three easy steps: Move to the Philippines. Marry LBFM thirty years your junior. Give middle finger to prior ex’s. Might seem a bit extreme but this is a well worn path my friends. 

It is for sure a “well worn” path 🤣

On 10/21/2021 at 11:15 PM, Prozac said:

Speaking from someone who was single his entire airline career, no need to commute from the Philippines when you work in a target rich (not slighting you Hacker) environment.

2 minutes ago, Springer said:

Speaking from someone who was single his entire airline career, no need to commute from the Philippines when you work in a target rich (not slighting you Hacker) environment.

Yeah, there is a certain age/generational demographic that seems to be attracted to this particular plan of action. For some reason, many seem to insist on buying the cow (often multiple cows, one after another), regardless of the price of the milk. To be honest, I don’t get it either, but I guess we all have our proclivities. 

• Like 1

Funny thing. Here in SAN on a layover and walked by the event location. Saw everyone walking out suit and tie etc. Had to google RTAG out of curiosity. Had no idea this existed.  

4 hours ago, Guardian said:

Huggy what did you do when not under the mil employ?

I had always wanted to try my hand in something where I was organizing/running a group or organization.  After a lot of networking, I accepted an offer to run an aviation non-profit (basically, a club of jet owners) as their Executive Director.  I could write a small book on the experience, but I resigned after 18 months and went back to the airlines... from which I had been absent for 15 years.  

Glad I worked in the ED job, otherwise I'd have always wondered if I should have done it.  With the experience behind me, I know now that I have a much better quality of life where I am.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 10/20/2021 at 4:20 PM, Hacker said:

Not at all.

In all walks of life - to work little and get paid a lot is the goal at its most purest form, no doubt. Flying cool stuff is awesome or the ability to fund any hobby and do it well is outstanding.

*Best case scenario still includes passion or enjoyment in whatever you might be getting paid well for. Just my take personally. When you enjoy going to so called “work” it is a blessing. Not all airline “jobs” are created equal by any means so hopefully a schedule/work lifestyle fits the bill. For some it will always be work and for others it becomes better with seniority. Lucky for you if it starts out that way, but most have started at X and end up at Y so usually gets better. 

Do your research to fulfill your priorities which is normally work little, paid a lot I will not deny. If you actually jump on board going somewhere with folks quite happy with the work they do it makes all the difference at times rather than falling back to “Well at least the pay is good/at least I don’t have to work much!” Cuz it’s exactly that, Work… Sometimes it works out not to be.

• Like 1

Wide body and international flying.  What are your opinions based on experience?  Obviously you’ll make more money long term. Pros.  Cons.  Has anyone been able to bid this and stayed NB and just done domestic flying ?

also, which airlines allow you to drop the entire schedule and build your own to maximize pay?

Edited by Ryder1587

8 hours ago, Ryder1587 said:

Obviously you’ll make more money long term.

Invalid assumption.  Gross income is not as simple as hourly rates.  It’s not even entirely dependent on left or right seat. Seniority is a pay raise all its own.

You want to stay domestic?  Yeah, you can do that everywhere and it’s not an uncommon career plan. Lots of guys don’t want to deal with the circadian interruptions, longer legs, customs, large international cities, etc. 

• Like 1