The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

How would you guys discuss RPA time on an airline resume? I did a 3 year TAMI 21 tour and while I understand the hours and flight time are meaningless, I don't think the experience overall is. Besides the fact it needs to be documented on the resume as employment history anyway, I feel like there is some value added if I can discuss it in terms of the increasing growth of technology and automation in air operations? Is that reasonable? 

32 minutes ago, FLEA said:

How would you guys discuss RPA time on an airline resume? I did a 3 year TAMI 21 tour and while I understand the hours and flight time are meaningless, I don't think the experience overall is. Besides the fact it needs to be documented on the resume as employment history anyway, I feel like there is some value added if I can discuss it in terms of the increasing growth of technology and automation in air operations? Is that reasonable? 

Incorporate it into your 3-5 minute bio when they have you introduce yourself; put together "tell me about a time" stories with your RPA experiences that include CRM, time-critical decision making, and/or something that makes you sound relatable. Don't overthink it too much.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FUSEPLUG said:

Oh good!  pawnman is in the airline thread now.  Finally some real perspective on all of this.  

Sometimes it's nice to hear from the passengers...

...like when they say "Nice landing" or the hot chick in first class says "here's my number."

But the rest of the time -  yeah, sit down, put your seat belt on, and STFU.  Nobody cares what you think.

• Upvote 1

On 10/11/2021 at 10:42 AM, ClearedHot said:

I think the press was mistakenly reporting it was Jax Airport when as Huggy notes it was Jax center.  The FAA spin was many had to take a mandatory two day break after getting the jab.

No idea the inner working reasons at Southwest why this happened, anecdotally I flew into JAX on Friday through some semi crappy weather and out on Saturday - absolutely no issues with center, approach, or tower controllers on either day, and besides deviating around the wx it was a pretty standard situation with that. 

Edited by LJ Driver

3 hours ago, LJ Driver said:

No idea the inner working reasons at Southwest why this happened, anecdotally I flew into JAX on Friday through some semi crappy weather and out on Saturday - absolutely no issues with center, approach, or tower controllers on either day, and besides deviating around the wx it was a pretty standard situation with that. 

Secondhand information to offer, so assign whatever value to that as you may. Saw text screenshots sent to our pilots from 2 center controllers, one JAX and one HOU, and both said Jax is perpetually undermanned. Weather forced traffic into an area where 6 sectors were being covered by 6 controllers. Couldn’t route around other side of weather due to airspace in use by the military. TMU attempted to slow roll traffic but not enough. All 6 controllers worked past their mandated in-the-seat time without breaks and eventually timed out, hence the ground stops. Again, no direct knowledge, just regurgitating. 

The SWA schedule problems are due to the Chinese trying to take over Taiwan. Or is it because gas prices went up 1% which caused crews to go bankrupt at the pump.  or space noise interfered with ph calls to skeds, or rising ocean levels caused more thunderstorms in Orlando and FAA Controllers at Jax didn't show cause the moon didn't align properly with Saturn.

My special interests are X, and I will make any event in the world line up up with my interests.

To my SWA buddy's out there, taxi fast, fly faster, and make bank on the ineptitude of ops.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Khruangbin33 said:

Ok my posting skills are weak, couldn't embed the tweet.  Here's the link:

My favorite strategist's take on the SWA/airline issues writ large

Kirby was smart, he put the mandate in place well before anybody had radicalized behind their position one way or the other. That left only 3% by the time the government stepped in and guaranteed compromise was dead.

American is in a different boat. Something like 3, 000 are on vaccinated, and they've had months of telling everybody who will listen that they're not getting the vaccine. Pride is not so easily overcome, and 3,000 Pilots have a whole hell of a lot of more leverage than 300. I'm genuinely curious as to what's going to happen, because American Airlines couldn't afford even 500 Pilots quitting, and I've flown with multiple Pilots who claim to have already submitted their retirement paperwork. These guys are in their 50s.

But our CEO played the same game last year during the furlough crisis. Hardball with the government up until the last minute, and even past it. Then throw his hands up and say he did everything he could but if the government doesn't change their position, all is lost.

There's a 0% chance that this administration is going to tolerate this type of turmoil, especially one that will have an effect on the market, when their approval ratings are dipping below 44%.

I'm vaccinated, so I don't really have skin in the game. But this mandate stuff is bullshit. The vaccine is no longer sufficient to stop the spread, and thus any justification for mandates, questionable as they were before, are now completely invalidated. And if you're stupid enough to think that it stops here, and won't involve a whole slew of medical decisions starting with mandating boosters, I've got a bridge to sell you. 

• Upvote 5

Your so right, tip of the iceberg on so many things. Sank the Titanic didn’t it. Collectively it seems like a strategy for everything to come crashing down, but either way if your vaccinated you probably will go up a line number unless you have been in the business over 20 years perhaps. Do not agree with any mandates, but this one will not be the sword to fall on for most.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

Your so right, tip of the iceberg on so many things. Sank the Titanic didn’t it. Collectively it seems like a strategy for everything to come crashing down, but either way if your vaccinated you probably will go up a line number unless you have been in the business over 20 years perhaps. Do not agree with any mandates, but this one will not be the sword to fall on for most.

Yep.  A lot of people will talk a big game on the internet, but when faced with getting the same shot over a billion others have or losing hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, most will get the shot.

• Downvote 3

Yep.  A lot of people will talk a big game on the internet, but when faced with getting the same shot over a billion others have or losing hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, most will get the shot.
I'm sure that a lot of the airlines have guys who have millions in the bank, have side hustles and are living on a military pension that could flick their Airline job away like a annoying fruit fly at any moment. Not all of them have the stereotypical three kids from two ex-wives and a boat to pay for.

On 10/18/2021 at 1:28 PM, TheNewGazmo said:
On 10/18/2021 at 12:51 PM, pawnman said:

I'm sure that a lot of the airlines have guys who have millions in the bank, have side hustles and are living on a military pension that could flick their Airline job away like a annoying fruit fly at any moment. Not all of them have the stereotypical three kids from two ex-wives and a boat to pay for.

You might be shocked by how many have MORE than two ex wives. Also, despite their hyper inflated views on their ability to act as their own financial planners, many, many of the “old heads” have done poorly in the markets & despite making millions over their careers, are not in a great retirement position. Add on the fact that regardless of personal financial situations, a majority of dudes in this business are blatant money whores, and when push comes to shove, I don’t think you’ll see too many leaving the career early. For the record, I agree with a lot of Lord Ratner’s post. At least as far as pilots are concerned, CEOs do not really have to force the vaccine issue. That will be, and is being done for them by foreign governments. Even most “domestic” fleets regularly see Canada & Mexico & there won’t be many places to hide for those who wish to remain unvaccinated. 

You might be shocked by how many have MORE than two ex wives.

Also, despite their hyper inflated views on their ability to act as their own financial planners, many, many of the “old heads” have done poorly in the markets & despite making millions over their careers, are not in a great retirement position.

a majority of dudes in this business are blatant money whores

Couldn’t figure out how to bold your statements here. I’m not smart.

You nailed it, particularly with point #2 above. This is definitely true at FedEx. I couldn’t tell you how many old heads I fly with that insist on forcefully telling me how to invest in some sweet schemes. It’s just sad to fly with dudes who have been widebody Capts for 15+ years and have found creative ways to get their burn rate to exceed their earn rate.

I diffuse these situations with humor…wait until I can fit a word in, and then “I’m really glad you brought up investing, because I normally come to pilots for two things—investing advice and conspiracy theories, and I can’t WAIT for the second half of this conversation”

I use a financial advisor; I’m a big scared oversaver; I don’t touch any investments until my annual rebalance with the financial advisor. His projections for my retirement are psychotic. I’m actually rooting for 5-10 years of a down market where I will (boring) just keep buying the sale every paycheck, see where it goes from there. Not saying it’s the right way, just that it’s my “sleep at night” way.

I can’t even correctly bold an internet quote; where would I find the time/smarts to stress about the market?
  • Upvote 3

Listen to the guy who talk about how they make side income/tax write-offs via a business, not the guys trying to get you go in on this "no fail" deal that promises to make you rich (I've never actually flown with one in my decade in the airline business).  On my last trip, I learn a shit ton about S-Corps and how you can use them to your benefit, especially when you start making Captain pay.  Dude wasn't trying to sell me anything or hype up anything, simply answering questions about a small business he's ran for well over a decade.  Crazy enough, he was still on spouse number #1.  

• Upvote 1

It's not about how much you make -- it's about how much you spend. My best friend was one of the top five earners at SWA for three years in a row, never divorced, and is in debt up to his neck. He says he'll never take the shot, but I got money on the table that says he will.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ImNotARobot said:

I don’t touch any investments until my annual rebalance with the financial advisor.

This is about the smartest thing 99.69% of us can do; invest conservatively in a few ETFs/funds and just keep plugging away at building it up. A financial advisor is helpful, too, if you find one you trust. Just be wary of them trying to push anything too hard or crazy; some are not fiduciaries bound to your best interests and are paid commissions to sell you specific products that might not be what you need.

"Time IN the market is better than timING the market," and most of us would be better of following George Carlin's advice ("It's a big club and you ain't in it") over thinking we can beat the market with some "only we see it" investment. Sure, every once in awhile, you hear of someone hitting it out of the park, but those voices are always pushed to the front and much louder than the thousands and thousands of folks that bet big on the next big XXXXX and lost their asses. People don't talk nearly as loudly about their failures as they do their successes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ironic? I don’t think so. Airline guys can make more money than is rational. Trying to smartly place/invest excess funds is all part of managing monthly schedules (how much do I NEED to work?) and annual family budgets.

But I get your point…

FedEx is hiring! Based on recent anecdotal info: It’ll take about 6 months from app publication until a potential email interview invite. There are approximately 300 in the hiring pool right now; looks like another 3-4 months after job offer before Basic Indoc.