The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

I really appreciate all the posts/replies. 

I’m sure the answer is “depends”, but I would still like to ask because there is a lot of knowledge and experience here not found in an AD squadron. 

If I’m not hired by a major airline at the end of my ADSC, should I pursue another flying assignment at a FTU/UPT base, or go guard/reserve + regionals? 

My goal is to acquire a line number at a major airline as soon as possible. My spouse is AD mil as well, so the lower pay of the regionals is not a factor. 

For reference: IP, 500 heavy PIC, 1850 total (2x MWS). 2 years left on my ADSC. 

Edited by Newb

I’m sure the answer is “depends”, but I would still like to ask because there is a lot of knowledge and experience here not found in an AD squadron. 
If I’m not hired by a major airline at the end of my ADSC, should I pursue another flying assignment at a FTU/UPT base, or go guard/reserve + regionals? 

My goal is to acquire a line number at a major airline as soon as possible. 

Isolating all other factors, if the goal is to be available to a major as soon as possible, then a two year ADSC for PCS to UPT isn’t the way to go.

At a regional you can give two weeks notice.
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, nunya said:

Palace chase to the ARC now.  
https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2606672/fy21-voluntary-force-management-programs-conclude-may-27/

edit: I can't even find the matrix for the eligible AFSCs.  Make them tell you no.

This!  The matrix doesn’t have 11x, however there is a note on the matrix that states PC incurs a 1:1 commitment, even if you’re AFSC isn’t included in the program. However it may be to late for that option as they moved the close-out date to May 27ish. 

2F2D0998-55AE-4AB6-9F41-6E70677543E5.png

Edited by Nodeskjobs
Added matrix

3 hours ago, Newb said:

My goal is to acquire a line number at a major airline as soon as possible. My spouse is AD mil as well, so the lower pay of the regionals is not a factor. 

For reference: IP, 500 heavy PIC, 1850 total (2x MWS). 2 years left on my ADSC. 

I'd consider the Guard + other flying options.  Regionals are a great place to gain some experience and check the box.  With your time, even if you had to go to a regional, I'd be surprised if you had to stay there very long.  Also, don't count out places like Atlas, ATI, etc...  Some of those places allow you to be home based, so you could conveniently live wherever the spouse career allows.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If your goal is to fly in The Majors, then going to a Regional airline is most likely your best option. 

As an aside, corporate / Part 91 flying is getting interesting. Big demand. It’s still “network centric” and the owners often go cheap when looking for pilots. But those that don’t change are going to be hurting bad very soon. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/18/2021 at 7:20 PM, nunya said:

The highest paid pilot at DAL for a few years was a narrowbody FO.  That is until 2019 when they couldn't compete with the 7-figure 350 captains.  Let's just say you won't miss the AF's paycheck if you land at any major airline.  We might be singing a different tune during COVID 2.0, but short of that, you'll be ok on the outside.

From everything I have heard, the 7-figure Captains were a juicy rumor.  

There was one guy who banked 272 hours in a month (272x$353=$96,000, plus $15,000 in 401k contribution), so I think the rumor mill started with the logic leap that if he had kept that up EVERY month he would have cleared $1M.  I had also heard 11 guys topped $1M but can’t find anyone who actually knows these guys.

I will add that said Captain always bought dinner and drinks for his entire crew of 13 people.  Class act and very nice guy.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 5/10/2021 at 3:06 PM, Gazmo said:

I've flown with Captains that run off the airplane and asked me to shut her down because they're trying to make it to the next terminal so they can get home that night. Some have to stay in a hotel that night because they had no way to get back home and they're flying home on their off days. I couldn't imagine living that way.

I commuted 1200 miles for 24 years but early on realized it was not worth racing home on the last flight to save a buck just to be wiped out the entire next day.  Having said that, I was single and had an airport car the entire time.  The locals were very friendly at the home base.

Edited by Springer
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bergman said:

From everything I have heard, the 7-figure Captains were a juicy rumor.  

There was one guy who banked 272 hours in a month (272x$353=$96,000, plus $15,000 in 401k contribution), so I think the rumor mill started with the logic leap that if he had kept that up EVERY month he would have cleared $1M.  I had also heard 11 guys topped $1M but can’t find anyone who actually knows these guys.

I will add that said Captain always bought dinner and drinks for his entire crew of 13 people.  Class act and very nice guy.

It's true, but it was an issue with the A350 training capacity that allowed a few (I think 3?) Captains to make a killing. Once they finally fixed the glitch, their incomes returned to "normal."

6 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

It's true, but it was an issue with the A350 training capacity that allowed a few (I think 3?) Captains to make a killing. Once they finally fixed the glitch, their incomes returned to "normal."

I heard the same from a 330 instructor friend.

Ret NERD

On 5/23/2021 at 9:45 AM, Lord Ratner said:

Not that this is anything worth arguing over, so don’t take this that way please, but you’ve actually talked to pilots that no-shit topped $1M?

$1M - 16% 401k - 16% PS = $743,000

That’s $62,000/mo average, or about 175 hours of pay at $353/hr (A350 captain).

I know the 350 rollout was a fiasco, but averaging that many hours a month would be very difficult.  Kudos to them if they did it, and please teach me how!

Active duty guys take note...we are actually discussing whether a pilot made $1M to fly the newest airplane in the fleet, maybe 12-15 days a month.  YMMV.  Choose wisely.

Edited by Bergman

7 minutes ago, Bergman said:

Not that this is anything worth arguing over, so don’t take this that way please, but you’ve actually talked to pilots that no-shit topped $1M?

$1M - 16% 401k - 16% PS = $743,000

That’s $62,000/mo average, or about 175 hours of pay at $353/hr (A350 captain).

I know the 350 rollout was a fiasco, but averaging that many hours a month would be very difficult.  Kudos to them if they did it, and please teach me how!

Active duty guys take note...we are actually discussing whether a pilot made $1M to fly the newest airplane in the fleet, maybe 12-15 days a month.  YMMV.  Choose wisely.

Them specifically? No. People at Delta who know them? Yes.

Like I said, it was only a few guys qualified on a new plane with a totally FUBAR training process. So every month they started by having their entire schedules bought back by the company for training. At Delta you can double dip, so if you have your schedule bought, then pick up a bunch of green slip trips (200%) to replace it, that's 300% of a normal schedule. At the highest pay rate. 

At AA there's always a debate over getting contractual provisions that some feel the company would never use. For example, I'd love to see a 300% emergency premium option. The company (especially AA) would *hate* using that. But cancel a full flight instead? No way. It's better to have things in the contract that are highly unlikely to be needed. They are cheap to negotiate for, and chances are you won't see them used. But if they are...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

Them specifically? No. People at Delta who know them? Yes.

Like I said, it was only a few guys qualified on a new plane with a totally FUBAR training process. So every month they started by having their entire schedules bought back by the company for training. At Delta you can double dip, so if you have your schedule bought, then pick up a bunch of green slip trips (200%) to replace it, that's 300% of a normal schedule. At the highest pay rate. 

I suppose it’s possible with OE buys and GSWC, but pulling that off for an entire year would be difficult.  I’ll keep my eyes out for these unicorns once I’m reinstated.

3 hours ago, Bergman said:

I suppose it’s possible with OE buys and GSWC, but pulling that off for an entire year would be difficult.  I’ll keep my eyes out for these unicorns once I’m reinstated.

I knew one that made just shy of 700k that year.  He showed me his profit sharing, which was impressive.

My personal assessment was  dudes were adding in profit sharing.  And excess cash from when they passed the 415 limit, which they all did.

I do know guys were hitting 100k a month at the beginning of that year, how long they kept that up I've no idea.

Personally I doubt anyone made a million without including PS, and excess, if then.  But man, what a great conversation, eh?

• Like 1

I knew one that made just shy of 700k that year.  He showed me his profit sharing, which was impressive.

My personal assessment was  dudes were adding in profit sharing.  And excess cash from when they passed the 415 limit, which they all did.
 I do know guys were hitting 100k a month at the beginning of that year, how long they kept that up I've no idea.

Personally I doubt anyone made a million without including PS, and excess, if then.  But man, what a great conversation, eh?

Probably (and arguably) the highest hourly rate of 99% of other careers fields on the planet (when it comes to income per actual WORK performed)... I think.

35 minutes ago, Gazmo said:

Probably (and arguably) the highest hourly rate of 99% of other careers fields on the planet (when it comes to income per actual WORK performed)... I think.

What happened in that category is a one in a career, fleeting opportunity.  The true winners are the professional reserve bidders.  Some of those dude put up some serious numbers, wrt longest time between putting on a uniform.  Let's call it pay per day putting on a uniform 😁.  Those are the guys you'll want to break out the notepad and take notes from!  Being able to sit SC from your house/boat/hangar is a beautiful thing! 

• Like 1

What happened in that category is a one in a career, fleeting opportunity.  The true winners are the professional reserve bidders.  Some of those dude put up some serious numbers, wrt longest time between putting on a uniform.  Let's call it pay per day putting on a uniform .  Those are the guys you'll want to break out the notepad and take notes from!  Being able to sit SC from your house/boat/hangar is a beautiful thing! 
Yep... did that on the 190 at AA the whole time I was on that jet. I miss that thing. My record was 23 days with being called. Been out for a while on mil leave, but we shall see if I have the same luck on the 320.

6 hours ago, sputnik said:

But man, what a great conversation, eh?

That’s some serious coin.  I honestly don’t know what I’d do with that much money.  Well, besides (more) hookers and blow.

Yes, what a great convo to have.  From “holy shit the entire industry could collapse” back to full flights, crowded airports and profit sharing.  Thank God.