The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

3 hours ago, Guardian said:

Amen. Especially if you find a non TFI unit on a base by themselves. 100% pure gold best thing going. IMHO.

You got that right. Never share iron with the AD if you have a choice. Plus your jets are pridefully maintained and clean if you will. One of my best friends still in one of my old Guard units (formerly part-time) landed himself an AGR position and just started 1 Apr. Told him it was the best move he could have made. He especially believes me now as he was at United with 5 years of seniority and like most he was unsure what the future holds. He remained in good standing/great worker/known quantity and was a previous Technician like myself there! Wish all the best for those doing the Guard thang. Nothing like a true safe haven during tough times. More points for retirement and he got a signing bonus - nothing beats that, good for him.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Guardian said:

Amen. Especially if you find a non TFI unit on a base by themselves. 100% pure gold best thing going. IMHO.

I only regret that I have but one like to give this post.  Also, don't join the reserve squadron embedded into your current AD wing and expect all that much to change.  The people who say it isn't that bad, have never really experienced life in elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Example: During Hurricane Katrina as Chief of Scheduling/Air Guard HQ Combined Forces Lead Planner within my State, I burnt over 50 crew members (max allowable flying time) in less than 7 days running evacuation ops. Had the iron, desperate for bodies. I called Alaska ANG (C-17s) for crew members that might be hanging around and interested in helping out?

AKANG Response: We are all here wanting to help, but AD took ALL the remaining jets a few of days ago to the fight without us.

My Response: Can you help? We’ll pay the bill - Commercial Tickets, Per Diem, whatever you need. I need a minimum of 12 Pilots/8 LMs.

AKANG Response: Packed and Ready!

Thank You AKANG to this day!

*I understand that AD was ready and ran out the door the next day and it takes a couple of days to recall ANG folks at times. But 0 ANG taken, that’s a deplorable in charge and the friction of shared/rented iron. Still much friction on iron usage most likely.

God worked it out for us and them. They were greatly appreciated. ANG - One Call that’s all. We had so many ANG units show up without a call as well. Great credit shout out to the Kirtland Rescue Squadron/Special Ops Crews/PJs as well who were in the Air already when they called. Despite media crushing FEMA etc, military folks volunteer support was phenomenal.

Example: During Hurricane Katrina as Chief of Scheduling/Air Guard HQ Combined Forces Lead Planner within my State, I burnt over 50 crew members (max allowable flying time) in less than 7 days running evacuation ops. Had the iron, desperate for bodies. I called Alaska ANG (C-17s) for crew members that might be hanging around and interested in helping out?
AKANG Response: We are all here wanting to help, but AD took ALL the remaining jets a few of days ago to the fight without us.
My Response: Can you help? We’ll pay the bill - Commercial Tickets, Per Diem, whatever you need. I need a minimum of 12 Pilots/8 LMs.
AKANG Response: Packed and Ready!
Thank You AKANG to this day!
*I understand that AD was ready and ran out the door the next day and it takes a couple of days to recall ANG folks at times. But 0 ANG taken, that’s a deplorable in charge and the friction of shared/rented iron. Still much friction on iron usage most likely.
God worked it out for us and them. They were greatly appreciated. ANG - One Call that’s all. We had so many ANG units show up without a call as well. Great credit shout out to the Kirtland Rescue Squadron/Special Ops Crews/PJs as well who were in the Air already when they called. Despite media crushing FEMA etc, military folks volunteer support was phenomenal.

I was a ANG CRF Ops Officer when Katrina hit. We flew out the next day for Biloxi and drove over to Stennis IAP, where we stayed for 2 weeks. One of the best things I’ve done in my 28 yrs. Met some great people and worked with the best folks in the business. We moved a shit ton of cargo for the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

5 hours ago, herkbum said:

I was a ANG CRF Ops Officer when Katrina hit. We flew out the next day for Biloxi and drove over to Stennis IAP, where we stayed for 2 weeks. One of the best things I’ve done in my 28 yrs. Met some great people and worked with the best folks in the business. We moved a shit ton of cargo for the area.

Fantastic and we appreciate your efforts. So many TALCE’s working including ours. It was a great show of force and long long days of non-stop dedication. Will always remember HH-60 assessment flights and the Aegis cruiser being different colors on each side (like it was sandblasted), 60ft yacht miles inland by itself and railroad tracks pushed inland 20-30ft or more. New Orleans was a disaster, but mostly a man-made one. Hurricane was a direct hit/smashed MS with its right front quadrant. So many units, so many heroes. Thanks again to all who came on a dime and saved many!

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 7:06 PM, AirGuardianC141747 said:
now

I enjoy the variety and it’s very similar to AMC flying when engaged in change. Much better layovers for the most part, very nice hotels, decent support overall. Nothing like flying the Queen of the skies in the commercial world. I will admit I prefer the upper deck of the pure cargo birds vs the pax conversion freighters. True separated rooms vs the bunk garbage. Long trips but always interesting on the 74. Welcome aboard and it’s definitely what you make of it. Plenty of time to have fun or complain, it’s what you choose. Lady 747 will take you around the world faster than any other jetliner. She also will take you to most any airline of choice when hiring so there’s options. Not many if any other can provide a better steppingstone from the military to your 1st choice, it’s a smattering of everything. It’s not just a job, it’s an adventure. Well, it’s a job so there’s that again.

AirGuardian, as others have posted, thanks for your candid and balanced posts on Atlas.  Good info!  I've got a phone interview with them tomorrow; while the 17 days (really it's 19 right?) on the road might be a tough pill to swallow, I think it'd be a blast to fly a 747 for a bit.  I am Palace Chase-ing and will owe some time as a Traditional Reservist.. how has that traditionally worked out with an Atlas schedule?  Since it's one big block of time, I assume dropping MilLeave for a few days knocks out the entire trip, meaning my only real option is to do my mil job during the 13/14 days at home?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, herkbier said:

AirGuardian, as others have posted, thanks for your candid and balanced posts on Atlas.  Good info!  I've got a phone interview with them tomorrow; while the 17 days (really it's 19 right?) on the road might be a tough pill to swallow, I think it'd be a blast to fly a 747 for a bit.  I am Palace Chase-ing and will owe some time as a Traditional Reservist.. how has that traditionally worked out with an Atlas schedule?  Since it's one big block of time, I assume dropping MilLeave for a few days knocks out the entire trip, meaning my only real option is to do my mil job during the 13/14 days at home?

Curious on this answer too.

FedEx hiring info:

The last two classes (8 pilots in March, 10 in April) were all hired into our Hong Kong 767 domicile and will be arriving in HK in mid to late summer. 

Quick update we received today on future hiring via internal comm:

"Due to the increase in extra sections and charters, we were unable to post a realignment bid this spring as originally planned. However, we will begin hiring 757 First Officers right away to shore up staffing needs on the fleet. In addition, we will hire 767 First Officers to staff FY21 aircraft deliveries. The 767 fleet currently stands at 85 with 18 coming into the fleet in FY21 (June 2020-June 2021). In addition, some of the schedule opportunities for the 767 are in crew-intensive international long-haul, which is also driving this hiring need."

My takeaway from this is a steady hiring cycle continuing through this year and into next year with probably a minimum of 400 pilots simply for attrition.  Many of the companies that made a practice of moving their products as belly freight on passenger aircraft have obviously had to change their mode of transit.  FedEx has taken the opportunity to negotiate long term contracts (7 years in some cases) with them and locked in a significant increase in future expected business.  So, all things continue to indicate growth and hiring.

One other thing I forgot - We had a pool of about 200 that were interviewed late summer into the fall of 2019.  My guess is those poolies will take us into late 2020 before more "off the street" pilots are being put into classes.  But, I think late summer to fall interviews this year with start dates in 2021 are a realistic expectation for anyone not interviewed yet.  Caveat all of the above with an end to Covid BS by this fall if not sooner.  We won't dodge that bullet forever if this keeps up.

Edited by JeremiahWeed
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/6/2020 at 10:19 AM, herkbier said:

Bottom line up front, industry wide mil reservists pilots have duty they must perform/requirements. Many times it conveniently chops things/balances things out. Having mil leave within a pattern doesn’t necessarily mean you lose the pattern. Most of the time they just create new lines that plug holes within the active schedule. i.e.  You have a pattern you bid/won for 10-26 May 20, but have a mil leave request that is 13-17 May (5 days of mil duty whatever it may be). Most likely get 10-12 = R1 (Home Reserve) unless a quick trip in/out is available. Not likely on a 747, but a 767 if you lived in base is possible. Away from base with travel and rest required in a 3 day period not probable. They will build trips after your 5 days or whatever if enough time remains; therefore, this conflict bid does have some goodness if you catch my drift. Just don’t be predictable if you will. Regarding pure 17 days, contract indicates you owe the company up to 17 days. I have a 15 day trip tomorrow and the 1st day happens to be a DH on AA so that counts as Day 1 working day. Sometimes 14,15,16,17 and if your on a 60 Day Line it can be split up with smaller duration trips. 10 off, 12 Fly, 6 off, 15 Fly, 12 off, 5 fly as an example. Or bank $$$ and do mil during off days and fly 17... not always 17 so there’s that gentleman.

How your unit is set up or who owns what iron honestly doesn't really matter much if you're a part timer. Even if you're a guard bum. Let the fulltimers worry about the bullshit -- that's what they're paid for.

2 hours ago, joe1234 said:

How your unit is set up or who owns what iron honestly doesn't really matter much if you're a part timer. Even if you're a guard bum. Let the fulltimers worry about the bullshit -- that's what they're paid for.

Indeed. I've made a fairly recession-proof and homesteading-friendly living as a professional shield/deflector for TRs of that bullshit as you call it. 14 years and counting. No ragrets.

Based on my experience, troughers (AFRC equivalent to bums) were not immune to being bullshit handlers. Ask me how I know. Most of the time I took mandays as a trougher back in my Bush 43 Economy drought days, those days came with a lot of bullshit strings. Maybe the Guard will let ya 'fly, fvck off at the bar and go home' while on orders, but in AD-Lite I was expected to be a bullshit-handler of some sort while on a Res Code 1. At the time no sweat, beggars can't be choosers and all that. I suppose this could be MWS dependent, though I suspect it could be just another of the opportunity costs of ANG vs AD-Lite. 

"The other side of the story here is that the pilot has spent the past six years completing a two year training course, and still hasn’t passed any of the tests necessary to become a pilot. The airline became fed up, and since they’re firing pilots anyway and trying to cut costs, they also decided to terminate their contract with her at this point."

What's that saying? Six years of pilot training down the drain, might as well join the f**ckin' peace corps.

https://onemileatatime.com/qatar-airways-fires-pilot/

Well that came full circle for her. Contract wise (Emirates included), they all are strict on their training payback periods. Normally it’s the 2-3 years for their type rating. Most Expats or whomever just play til the Big 3, etc. called looking to return stateside and pay whatever is prorated/leftover. 

7 hours ago, di1630 said:

Heard United is furloughing 30% starting 1 Oct. 5,000 pilots.

Well the media is latching on to the idea that DAL is 7,000 pilots fat this fall so we must be furloughing 7,000 pilots.  🙄

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, di1630 said:

Heard United is furloughing 30% starting 1 Oct. 5,000 pilots.

That's not quite what United's bid meant.   At worst it set up about 2500 to be furloughed, starting in Oct.  Which definitely sucks, but is a hell of a lot less than 5k.

As for Delta's news, it also tees up 2500.  Which also sucks, but is far less than 7k.

• Like 1