The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

To add to the above posts by Sneedro/JS, they seem to be raising he eyebrow at blatant shit, not going back on long term orders.  Stuff I've heard of getting dudes highlighted is using one day of MLOA (per trip) to drop their entire schedule then picking up trips that gives them weekends off (multiple months).  Dropping MLOA and working at their contractor gig (really stupid).  Dropping a trip that spans Christmas with one day of MLOA to sit SOF...perfectly legal, but really?  

A few of the things I've personally seen that are probably low-level and I doubt get highlighted unless it's habitual.  All perfectly legal, but fits solidly into my bro fuck column and makes the rest of us look bad.   

- Doesn't pre-post MLOA.  Gets a coverage trip (forced to work) over Christmas.  Drops trip with a day of MLOA on day one.  Picks up a shorter (highly lucrative trip) that starts on day 2 of the original trip and gets him back early on Christmas eve.   

- Last week of the month.  Dude (who lives four states away and hasn't flown a trip yet in the month) gets assigned a trip on long call.  One hour later trip is dropped for MLOA.  Guess who got to go fly that trip...

- Bids 3 day reserve blocks then drops MLOA on the middle day of each block...days that can't be dropped normally due to staffing.  

I disagree with the implication that I should feel the slightest bit guilty for performing legitimate military duty just because it happens to fall on the first day of a long trip or splits up the middle of a reserve block. If my unit is begging for bodies because nobody wants to work Christmas, and I'd rather do that instead of going off on an airline trip, I should feel bad about that? Fuck that.

1) Drop your mil leave for legit duty that you actually attend, 2) do it with a reasonable amount of advance notice, and 3) be able provide documentation. Anything else is charity.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, joe1234 said:

1) Drop your mil leave for legit duty that you actually attend, 2) do it with a reasonable amount of advance notice, and 3) be able provide documentation. Anything else is charity.

Amen.  After all, trying to maintain currency/proficiency in 2 (geographically separated) jobs is difficult enough.  (ESPECIALLY as a commuter I might add)

Pre-post MLOA?  Did that once or twice.  What a joke.  Scheds just built a line "around" the MLOA.  Now I get to work 20-25 days out of the month.  No thanks.

My caveats.  Don't drop ML and then pick up trips that benefit your schedule/lifestyle.  Drop ML and perform your duty (no brainer here).  I don't sit reserve anymore, however, when I did I would not drop a mil day in the middle of a reserve block leaving 1-2 days coverage (looks bad).  Provide advance notice (MINIMUM 2 weeks for me).  

I have no problem working Thanksgiving and then dropping a trip for legitimate (what else is there?) ML on a trip(s) before and after Xmas.   In a unit with numerous requirements/high ops-tempo, flying is only conducted before and after the Xmas holiday.  Being able to complete all your beans by the end of the half, coupled with the units flying availability, limits your options.  

23 hours ago, joe1234 said:

I disagree with the implication that I should feel the slightest bit guilty for performing legitimate military duty just because it happens to fall on the first day of a long trip or splits up the middle of a reserve block. If my unit is begging for bodies because nobody wants to work Christmas, and I'd rather do that instead of going off on an airline trip, I should feel bad about that? Fuck that.

I couldn't agree more with your 3 bullet points.  You most certainly should not feel the least bit guilty about doing legit mloa that may happen to fall on a holiday.  Hell, I had to drop a holiday trip because I was thrown on orders for a deployment earlier than expected...and Guard standard, I didn't get my orders until a week out.  This isn't what I'm talking about.  It's habitual shit that happens month after month (and two months running to drop holiday trips when seniority/staffing doesn't allow).  I get it, some people give zero fucks about anyone other than themselves, that's life.  It's just shitty when there are dudes that habitually use it to give themselves super-senioirty, while the rest of us are out there get to deal with the increased scrutiny while trying to do the right thing.

18 hours ago, SocialD said:

I couldn't agree more with your 3 bullet points.  You most certainly should not feel the least bit guilty about doing legit mloa that may happen to fall on a holiday.  Hell, I had to drop a holiday trip because I was thrown on orders for a deployment earlier than expected...and Guard standard, I didn't get my orders until a week out.  This isn't what I'm talking about.  It's habitual shit that happens month after month (and two months running to drop holiday trips when seniority/staffing doesn't allow).  I get it, some people give zero fucks about anyone other than themselves, that's life.  It's just shitty when there are dudes that habitually use it to give themselves super-senioirty, while the rest of us are out there get to deal with the increased scrutiny while trying to do the right thing.

Delta?

• Upvote 1

Question for dudes at any Major commercial carrier....what kind of travel benefits are there for family? From what I've heard, it's easy yourself to sit jump and travel for free. Can you get discounted tickets for family members? If so, is there a quota or limit? Standby seems like it isn't really that reliable, especially for more than a few people (or is there a way to game it and make free flights work).

5 minutes ago, GoodSplash9 said:

Question for dudes at any Major commercial carrier....what kind of travel benefits are there for family? From what I've heard, it's easy yourself to sit jump and travel for free. Can you get discounted tickets for family members? If so, is there a quota or limit? Standby seems like it isn't really that reliable, especially for more than a few people (or is there a way to game it and make free flights work).

All immediate family fly for free but it’s similar to Space A.  They are the lowest priority but the nice thing is that you can look at the flight loads, see the standbys/upgrades and determine the chances of getting on the flights.  

You do get discounted tickets for your carrier and you can purchase ZED fare tickets on other carriers (Space A on other carrier).  

There is no limit or quota.  

If you don’t attempt to fly during peak dates or hours, flying standby works pretty easy; you just need to be flexible.  

In my case, I simply jumpseat and that is very reliable.  Therefore I never buy a ticket. 

However, I do not send my family members Non-Rev (e.g. "Space A").  

The company offers discounted positive-space tickets and I buy my family those.  I/We are almost never "flexible" on travel plans.  And I would rather pay than have them suffer through the pain of flying Non-Rev.  

Some people aren't bothered by Non-Rev... and they will get to travel for really cheap.  

Me... I hate Non-Rev and won't generally use it for my family.  

Personally, I think travel is a chore and I treat it as such. I like free stuff so I'll make a list of options to get from A to B with the fam on Non=Rev. Prioritize the list according to seat availability, travel time, and number of stops. I keep a whole category of non-rev apps, websites, and 1-800 numbers on my phone. If I can save a few grand by Non-revving the entire family to Paris, that means better hotels, restaurants, experiences.

It can be challenging, but there's always a way. That said, sometimes it's not worth the effort, but I'm more of a cheap bastard than most so I'll work for it.

Always, always, ask the gate agent if they prefer Starbucks or Dunkin.

9 hours ago, GoodSplash9 said:

Every time we have tried to non rev, it has worked out.  I'm not mentally good at it and tend to stress, especially with kids involved, but it has always worked.  On the rare occasions we had to be somewhere and couldn't take the risk, I bought (and SWA was cheaper than my own carriers discounts).  Non rev has gotten us some experiences we just wouldn't have had if buying tickets was the only way (NYC in a day, etc). 

International seems easier than domestic.  I've ruined travel for my oldest for life with first class across the pond.

Not here to tell anyone what to do with their money, but after a few years at the airlines the pay is enough that we can afford more than I could on active duty.  When I did "have" to buy tickets, it wasn't a big deal.  In general, we travel a lot more than we ever did when I was in the military, non rev is a big part of the reason we can do that.

1 hour ago, torqued said:

Personally, I think travel is a chore and I treat it as such. I like free stuff so I'll make a list of options to get from A to B with the fam on Non=Rev. Prioritize the list according to seat availability, travel time, and number of stops. I keep a whole category of non-rev apps, websites, and 1-800 numbers on my phone. If I can save a few grand by Non-revving the entire family to Paris, that means better hotels, restaurants, experiences.

It can be challenging, but there's always a way. That said, sometimes it's not worth the effort, but I'm more of a cheap bastard than most so I'll work for it.

Always, always, ask the gate agent if they prefer Starbucks or Dunkin.

Able to share what non rev apps and websites you’re referring to?

46 minutes ago, isuguy1234 said:

Able to share what non rev apps and websites you’re referring to?

Sure. I normally start with my company employee travel website first and that works 80% of the time.

To find routes, I use passrider.com, flightlookup.com, rome2rio.com, flightconnections.com, expedia, kayak.com, etc. 

Apps: Flightboard for "right now" at the airport, StaffTraveler, and FlightAware.

For international, myid90travel.com will give you a rough estimate of available seats, but I think you need a company provided account.

To check specific loads and other questions, I normally just call the airline. Airline websites normally display seats sold, but don't show standbys.

American Airlines Non-Rev: 1-800 933-5922

United Airlines Non-Rev: 1-800-359-3727

UPS Jumpseat: 1-502-359-1437

Yesterday, I got caught up in the mess around Chicago. Talked the company into releasing me from my deadheads early and had to get creative to get home. Passrider and flightboard got me home 18 hours early with one connection between United and Delta with near zero ground time.

Edited by torqued

As others have said, besides non-rev, most carriers have a discounted ticket program.  I've found DALs is pretty hit or miss with Orbitz sometimes being a better deal.  We also have a perks program that has all kinds of discounts on various things for travel (hotels, rental cars, cruises, etc...).  If you're still MIL, I would look at grabbing the AMEX platinum or Chase Sapphire Cards as the fees are waived while your still AD or on AD orders.  They offers some additional perks like pay for global entry (must have IMHO), some travel expenses and club access.  Might even be worth it once you're flying for an airline, especially if you commute.  

I've had pretty good luck with non-revving, but it's usually just me and a chick, traveling with kids might be more stressful.  At DAL we can reserve the JS for pleasure travel a few days out and once you sign up for it, it's yours, unless a FED or LCA kicks you out.  I think all other carriers are similar, though when I was at American it was still strictly seniority based and senior dudes could/would kick out last minute (terrible, but that may have changed). 

Some things I have learned from non-rev travel;

- If there are multiple flights a day, try to show for the earliest flight.

- Travel on off days/seasons (each market is different) greatly increases chances of success.

- Seek out the oddball legs when trying to get to Europe (IND/CVG/RDU to CDG come to mind)...they almost always have open seats.

- Even if the flight shows negative (or no open seats) I often get on.

- Figure out how to use ID90.com and get a ZED fare BEFORE you show up to the airport....painful lesson for me.

- If it's important, just buy tickets, we make plenty enough money.

- Be willing to call it a failure and make an impromptu vacation out of wherever you end up.  I've actually found these to be quite fun.

- NOTHING in Europe is worth riding in coach...come back back tomorrow when 1st class is available lol.  

To add to Torques post.

ALPA App - You don't have to be a member or even sign in.  It has a section that tells you how to JS on every carrier out there.  It also has a listing of all the KCMs, their locations and hours.

FlightStats App - Great for finding flights between two destinations.

Individual carrier apps - I've downloaded them all and found them useful from time to time.

Aside from the above, I find the following useful for non-rev travel

Mobile Passport - Great for getting through international security. It's quick, free and easy to use...I often zip through security and have to wait for my crew to get through Global Entry.

Hotel tonight - Not bad/not great.  Good for finding nearby hotels if you get stuck.

CityMaps2Go - Great for foreign locations.

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, SocialD said:

though when I was at American it was still strictly seniority based and senior dudes could/would kick out last minute (terrible, but that may have changed). 

Really good post but at AA it in First come first serve registration based, not seniority and hasn’t been for a while. 

On 11/28/2018 at 2:52 AM, xaarman said:

Really good post but at AA it in First come first serve registration based, not seniority and hasn’t been for a while. 

Awesome, glad to hear that got changed.  It was seniority based when I was there in 2014...not fun getting booted off the last JS out of town after a reserve block.  

This is probably a totally newb question but F it anyways.  I want to continue a post-AF career flying something but I'm an RPA driver and all of those hours in the container won't count for squat with the FAA or airlines.  Assuming I have my civilian certs (CFI, MEL, etc) but relatively low hours, what's the best path forward to the airlines?  I'm assuming the basics are build up to 1500 hours and then slog up through regionals and eventually to the majors just like everybody else but what has the timeline been like for those of you that have started at a regional to get picked up by a major carrier?  Would my RPA and military experience be a bit of a discriminator when it comes to hiring (assuming all other boxes are checked) or do they really mean nothing when it comes to the airlines?

Edited by soupafly06

This is probably a totally newb question but F it anyways.  I want to continue a post-AF career flying something but I'm an RPA driver and all of those hours in the container won't count for squat with the FAA or airlines.  Assuming I have my civilian certs (CFI, MEL, etc) but relatively low hours, what's the best path forward to the airlines?  I'm assuming the basics are build up to 1500 hours and then slog up through regionals and eventually to the majors just like everybody else but what has the timeline been like for those of you that have started at a regional to get picked up by a major carrier?  Would my RPA and military experience be a bit of a discriminator when it comes to hiring (assuming all other boxes are checked) or do they really mean nothing when it comes to the airlines?

Are you getting out soon? If not, go buy a private plane, build hours for the mins. Unless something changes, expect regionals til you can make the jump. Getting the mins for ATP is probably the big hurdle.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

4 hours ago, ImNotARobot said:

For everyone’s SA...yesterday FedEx changed their application website away from PilotCredentials. Link below.

If you had an app on file, they’re saying it all transferred. Login ASAP and make sure that data sync worked!

Good luck to all. Boxes > people.

https://careers.fedex.com/pilot

PIREP from a current applicant (me).  Yes, MOST of your pilot credentials info will transfer, but there are many transposition errors necessitating a complete scrub of your app.  Do not assume that just because you have and up to date PC profile that your app in the new system will be good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Napoleon_Tanerite said:

PIREP from a current applicant (me).  Yes, MOST of your pilot credentials info will transfer, but there are many transposition errors necessitating a complete scrub of your app.  Do not assume that just because you have and up to date PC profile that your app in the new system will be good.

Went back to reference my FDX.PC profile for some of the answers, but it’s gone.  So at least I got that going for me.

8 hours ago, Napoleon_Tanerite said:

The new website is totally stupid. You applicants are in for a firestorm of bvllsh!t trying to refine your details. I'm speechless at what a lackluster job the company did in taking control of the app process. Hope you had a recent pdf print of your PC app, since nobody told you that your entire old app would be deleted and "synced" to the new system. 

Good luck NT, and anyone else enduring the pain of transferring their entire app. The flying job is worth it...but this sh!tty website is ridiculous. Previously the smoke/mirrors of UPS's website was the cryptic winner of worst airline app. Nice job FDX...your app is now officially the worst POS of all the majors. I'm sure with AAL's highly agile hiring practices (no sarcasm), we won't lose great guys who freakin give up on this BS.

On 11/29/2018 at 8:21 PM, soupafly06 said:

Soupafly, I’m going through this right now as career RPA dude. I’m an 11U, so slightly different situation. I have about 300 hours and haven’t flown in the Air Force since UPT 7+ years ago.

Currently reaching out to C-17, C-5, and KC-135 units in places I’d like to move my family to that also have regional/major domiciles. If you qualify, you should really start looking into guard or reserve UPT slots. Way to build time, fly another cool mission set, and you could also go part time to work for a regional or cargo gig. It would also qualify you for the 750 hour military restricted ATP to get you to a regional faster. 

Ive spent the last 6 months learning about Guard/Reseve options and the airlines. I’d be happy to talk about what I’ve learned to try and pay it forward a little hopefully if your interested. Which base are you at?

3 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Dumb question but need the info...
My wife is an ER nurse working a fairly demanding schedule that is made a month plus ahead of time. If I jump the sinking AD ship and somehow land an airline gig how far out are the schedules posted? Just trying to figure the future out.

My wife could earn another 30% without breaking a sweat, or more if she cared to, but that extra in her paycheck pales in comparison to what my time on the road  nets the household.  Make no mistake, my work schedule effectively becomes HER work schedule.  In the most acute example, if I’m going to work an OT day, she is effectively working a day of OT, with all of the associated life disruptions as well.  So my schedule planning (especially OT) begins with her input.

Our ethos is that while we may be intentionally derating her career, doing so allows us to hunt the big game with my schedule.  We bid around the 14th of the month.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2