The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

2 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

Some SWA pilot friends of mine have said the flight cancellations weren’t because of the employees. 

Fact. Our union pulled the data and showed this weekend we’ve just had an average number of sick/fatigue calls and higher than average volunteer pilots picking up trips. 
The root cause is boring: they stretched the network too thin before staffing was back to appropriate levels, so there’s no slack to absorb any disruptions at all, which is a compounding problem in a point-to-point network. SWAPA’s been warning about it for months, and sure enough this is the 2nd or 3rd time it’s happened this year.
The fact it happened a week after the vaccine mandate is coincidental, but it’s been fascinating and somewhat horrifying watching how rapidly misinformation is created and then propagated as fact. Is this how doctors have felt this whole time??

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Fact. Our union pulled the data and showed this weekend we’ve just had an average number of sick/fatigue calls and higher than average volunteer pilots picking up trips. 
The root cause is boring: they stretched the network too thin before staffing was back to appropriate levels, so there’s no slack to absorb any disruptions at all, which is a compounding problem in a point-to-point network. SWAPA’s been warning about it for months, and sure enough this is the 2nd or 3rd time it’s happened this year.
The fact it happened a week after the vaccine mandate is coincidental, but it’s been fascinating and somewhat horrifying watching how rapidly misinformation is created and then propagated as fact. Is this how doctors have felt this whole time??

It is an interesting coincidence and I heard the union put out a statement saying it wasn't them.  There is other information on the margins that is feeding the false narrative, didn't the union petition the court last week to shutdown the vaccine mandate?  Also, I believe I saw a report that said 40% of the pilots are still not vaccinated.

Despite the misdirection of SWA this weekend, there are thousands of pilots who are old enough with enough money to say “fuck your mandate!” and leave. A lot of airline guys in the 55-65 category who don’t trust anything and will never get the vacx…or so it seems at least. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that major airlines could be faced with epic shortages, or have to push back on the mandate. Maybe it doesn’t come to fruition, but it’d be naive to think it’s not a reasonable possibility at this point. 

A friend at General Dynamics said the company is struggling with this as they have thousands of employees in the south who in general are not getting the vax, and they also know firing all of those employees will crush the company. Biden has really put a hell of a lot of Americans and American companies in a terrible spot. Let’s go Brandon!

Edited by brabus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, brabus said:

A friend at General Dynamics said the company is struggling with this as they have thousands of employees in the south who in general are not getting the vax, and they also know firing all of those employees will crush the company. Biden has really put a hell of a lot of Americans and American companies in a terrible spot. Let’s go Brandon!

That is a common and so far closely held fact among MANY defense companies.  I think numerous critical DoD contracts will be impacted.  The current EO fines companies with DoD contracts $5000 PER employee PER day.  

6 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

Jacksonville Center is where the rumor about the vax is coming from. A majority of controllers called in sick Friday in protest of the Biden mandate. 

I think the press was mistakenly reporting it was Jax Airport when as Huggy notes it was Jax center.  The FAA spin was many had to take a mandatory two day break after getting the jab.

58 minutes ago, FUSEPLUG said:

Oh good!  pawnman is in the airline thread now.  Finally some real perspective on all of this.  

Just curious... do companies get to impose whatever restrictions they want, and if you don't like it, go somewhere else? 

Seems like I've seen that argument in a few threads on here...

Would you feel different if he'd gotten fired for smoking weed? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, brabus said:

Despite the misdirection of SWA this weekend, there are thousands of pilots who are old enough with enough money to say “fuck your mandate!” and leave. A lot of airline guys in the 55-65 category who don’t trust anything and will never get the vacx…or so it seems at least. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that major airlines could be faced with epic shortages, or have to push back on the mandate.

To all you airline bubbas out there, I enthusiastically support your fight against the mandate. Don't let them bully you. Resign your seniority number and show those corporate bastards the true power of voting with your feet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

It is an interesting coincidence and I heard the union put out a statement saying it wasn't them.  There is other information on the margins that is feeding the false narrative, didn't the union petition the court last week to shutdown the vaccine mandate?  Also, I believe I saw a report that said 40% of the pilots are still not vaccinated.

Correct on most counts. The union obviously would lose big if SWA can make a case that this was a job action, and ironically they’re not being helped by the outside voices who want it to be true.
But they pulled analytics and objectively there have not been any more sick calls than usual, and also we’ve had more off-duty pilots volunteering to pickup than usual…unless the union’s blatantly lying (which would be dumb because the company has the same data).
The union has had a suit against SWA for the past few months regarding status quo violations while in negotiations (SWA has unilaterally implemented all kinds of policies), so the vaccine mandate got tacked onto the suit as an additional violation. Haven’t heard anything remotely close to putting a figure on how much of the pilot group is fully vaxxed from the company or union, so I’ll leave that untouched.

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

Just curious... do companies get to impose whatever restrictions they want, and if you don't like it, go somewhere else? 

get out of here nav

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

get out of here nav

Oh no, is your post-discharge job looking like it's in jeopardy? 

What do you think...gonna vote with your "deeply held beliefs", or with your wallet?

I know which one I think you'll take.

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, pawnman said:

At one time slavery was the law.  And internment of innocent Japanese.  And prohibition.  And obeying the British crown.  And segregation.  Etc.  But people resisted unjust laws and eventually the laws changed.  

What’s interesting here is these aren’t even laws.  These are edicts that never passed the legislature.  And are clearly controversial.  Yet you’re in absolute glee watching peoples livelihoods wrecked as they voice dissent.

You’re usually a smart dude whose posts I enjoy; don’t always agree with but I know you’ve thought it through.  So as a thinking person, watching the “science” change as efficacy shrinks to months, seeing the slow leak of info about the origins which contradicts the certainty of “expert” opinions, watching flip-flop-Fauci, seeing the hypocrisy of democratic leaders who say one thing but act totally different when folks aren’t watching…. I have to ask you: do you think these posts will age well?  Do you think 3 years from now your smug condescension will still seem justified?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Ryder1587 said:

SWA - what a perfect example of how fast misinformation spreads and how quick people spread it to try to push their agenda.  What a sad social media world we live in when this is our reality.  Nobody wants the truth. They want confirmation bias. 

I actually have no idea what is going on with SWA. Just getting back from a trip with no signal, min turns, and max duty days...so what's going on/the truth?

1 minute ago, StoleIt said:

I actually have no idea what is going on with SWA. Just getting back from a trip with no signal, min turns, and max duty days...so what's going on/the truth?

Up to 30% of their flights cancelled this weekend. Major news sources pushing it was because of pilots calling in sick and vaccination strikes.  Sick call numbers published showing completely false and the flight cancellations broke down from Manning being below the required number to be able to handle any sort of weather or delay issues without causing huge rippling affects.  No one fact checks anything anymore. Just push any news that fits their agenda and it’s annoying and doesn’t seem very reputable sources around anymore that are on TV. 

• Upvote 2