The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

So in airline news, AA management made a whole slew of procedural changes to include tasks during critical phases of flight, but provided no training on them except some vague distance learning videos. Then, after some objection they stated that “no one expects you to comply with 100% of the changes day one”…except that’s not how effective publication dates work.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2023/01/03/pilots-balk-as-american-airlines-imposes-new-cockpit-procedures/

Brabus mentioned the stacked lines aren’t the new normal and makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is that the KCM (for me and every 5th person in line with me (ORD) has been tagging a lot of crew members for security checks. Never really complained before and you still just cut in front of the pre-check folks, but it ramped up 200, 300% in my case. Maybe it’s just me or the funny name.

Germany laughs at me when the sniffer doohickey goes red from wiping my luggage. Definitely don’t use any of it at the range, but they rock their heads from side to side and mumble - Americans… Maybe its the hotel soap? 

11 hours ago, FLEA said:

I think your missing a lot of context here. If train prices were high in Europe you weren't buying correctly. I lived there up until this year and very rarely paid more than $50 to go anywhere. 

Ryan air isn't cheaper because they nickle and dime you with baggage fees/etc.... There are no flight guarantees, the highest cancellation rate of any airline in Europe and the fact you will likely have to cancel your trip. Ryan air is great if you're a 20 something digital nomad with lots of travel flexibility. Less so if you have a family and are trying to get away for a long weekend. 

And yes.... 2 hours early. Bro I don't know how often you're traveling by air but just 3 months ago Schippol was a literal dumpster fire with people lined up on the INTERSTATE, three miles from the airport, to get into security. 

ORD is not quite as bad but wait times for TSA pre check we're 1.5 hours going to DC as recently as November. 

IAD, I waited 45 minutes in TSA pre check to go to Houston. 

This is with TSA pre check.... I'm sad for the schmucks who can't afford that or are not in the military..... 

If I miss my flight and have to get rolexed 2-3 hours, I completely lost the speed advantage of air. 

Let's also not forget the premium on rail travel because it simply is more comfortable than air travel. If a trip was only 20-30 minutes longer or 20% more expensive, I'd probably still take rail to avoid the headache of having to wait in lines, be yelled at by gate agents, be stuffed in a tuna can.... 

Like let's face it man, regional airline travel sucks in almost every scenario. 

Maybe we are comparing apples and oranges (Europe vs USA). I agree that rail can be more comfortable and economical than air travel. The only point I was trying to make, is that right now, it's not.

I travel by air a LOT. I usually plan to show 75 minutes before my departure - it's usually way more than enough time. The only places I struggle to time perfectly are places like Vegas with their FUBAR rental car return circus and LAX where there could be wicked traffic at 11 PM on a Wednesday. One-offs like those places, yeah, you gotta give it a bit more to deal with the stupid.

33 minutes ago, ViperMan said:

Maybe we are comparing apples and oranges (Europe vs USA). I agree that rail can be more comfortable and economical than air travel. The only point I was trying to make, is that right now, it's not.

I travel by air a LOT. I usually plan to show 75 minutes before my departure - it's usually way more than enough time. The only places I struggle to time perfectly are places like Vegas with their FUBAR rental car return circus and LAX where there could be wicked traffic at 11 PM on a Wednesday. One-offs like those places, yeah, you gotta give it a bit more to deal with the stupid.

I agree with you that in the US its not a solution at the moment or even worth investigating. I've done exactly 1 AMTRAK trip in the US, in 2011, and it was literally one of the worst travel experiences I had. But since it was new and I was young it just added to the adventure and the fun of the story. 

When people advocate rail in the US, I think what they really want is what most of Asia has developed (which is far superior to even Europe IMO, especially mainland China). However, I recognize there are certain bureaucratic and economic hurdles for the US to get there.

What I don't appreciate though is the immediate defeatism that we shouldn't investigate something that could be highly beneficial and advancing for our society because of a few barriers. What happened to "America'ing the fuck up" and dumping huge sums of money into research and engineering to develop innovative and new solutions that are advancing on a civilization and industrial wide level. Remember when people said a rail to the west couldn't be built? Remember when people said space travel was impossible? Remember when people said airplanes were a fad? We're the smartest and most innovative country on the planet. If we want something that's going to make our lives better lets stop bitching about it and "America the fuck up" and do it. 

Edit: As a good example, recognizing there are a bunch of imminent domain issues for the east coast solution, have we looked at going subterranean? Boring Company's Prufrock-3 can tunnel SEVEN MILES a day! You can tunnel all 400 miles of the east coast 5 city rail line in a single month working from both directions and run the trains at full highspeed since there would be zero municipal concerns, making the worlds largest and fastest subway!? Like.... lets think outside the box! There is stuff our there, lets use it!

Edited by FLEA

Pretty sure we are all on board, especially when it comes to the getter dun know how this country has proven in the past. Definitely can surmount the issues of accomplishing this endeavor like most everything else, but timing is everything. Debt, debt, more debt what the heck it’s all credit with nothing to back it. Look at the past trillions spent and the latest FY 2023 Omnibus Bill. It is just that - another bill to pay and the narratives within do not support much of anything that is truly productive like dedicating a chunk to rail we are discussing. Currently mentality is NO WHERE NEAR any of the aforementioned “remember when we…” backbone we had during those times. Soft times, soft men or whatever… 

*Our cabinets are full of the self serving vs forward into the future types we need to support ideas on this thread and many other areas beyond. The cesspool is deep in the circle of so called trust we have elected.

**I do like train travel, just not ours. I appreciate great service on board airlines, just not ours. We can’t even begin with baby steps such as great service… that’s just training for the most part and a focused minor  investment in comfort/amenities crushed by bean counters; whereas, digging tunnels is actually heavy work, a true mental challenge of know how and commitment coupled with some peril to be sure. Nothing really truly rings out as “remember when” in the past two or three decades. What does that tell us?

Remember when “Candy Crush” first came out? Heck, I don’t know never played it. Easily distracted by $ and shiny objects.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

3 hours ago, FLEA said:

What I don't appreciate though is the immediate defeatism that we shouldn't investigate something that could be highly beneficial and advancing for our society because of a few barriers. What happened to "America'ing the fuck up" and dumping huge sums of money into research and engineering to develop innovative and new solutions that are advancing on a civilization and industrial wide level.

1. Our culture of "safety" and "equity" will stop a lot of progress.

2. Unless a politician can get rich off of it, it ain't got a chance.

The people in charge are the ones who lived in the glory of what their parents built. They don't understand America or the world in their most fundamental sense. Hence, we're complacent and have allowed ourselves to become preoccupied with feeling good vs doing good.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, FLEA said:

What I don't appreciate though is the immediate defeatism that we shouldn't investigate something that could be highly beneficial and advancing for our society because of a few barriers. What happened to "America'ing the fuck up" and dumping huge sums of money into research and engineering to develop innovative and new solutions that are advancing on a civilization and industrial wide level. Remember when people said a rail to the west couldn't be built? Remember when people said space travel was impossible? Remember when people said airplanes were a fad? We're the smartest and most innovative country on the planet. If we want something that's going to make our lives better lets stop bitching about it and "America the fuck up" and do it. 

Since we're talking about rail.  Building the rail to the west was done because they had monopolies, an abundance of free land (sorry Native Americans), access to basically slave labor, and a severe lack of laws/lawyers.  We also didn't have a shortage of people who were willing to do anything they had to do to get the job done, especially if someone got in the way...  One of the many reasons we moved west so fast was because of our ability to quickly move people/supplies down the Mississippi for relatively cheap.  Today...we have the Jones Act.  While I support the Jones Act, it's good thing it was enacted before we moved west, or it would have cost A LOT more in both time, and money.  

For a more real time example of how nuetered we have become.   We're stuck using this piece of shit Pex, which apparently is on funding life support.  Meanwhile, the free market has created a far superior product, but the AF keeps blocking that program from the network.  We get in our own way wrt efficiency and progress.  Why?  Because someone isn't getting paid. 

Edited by SocialD

In other news, flew with a CA yesterday that does interviews.  That made for some fun cruise conversation.

I finally had to stop the endless string of stories, many on par with GoT Red Wedding, of bad interviews of late.

Asked: "Ok, are there any positive interviews you've had lately?  Ones that give some hope for the incoming generation?"

"Oh, yeah, mostly the .mil folks.  Anyway, then there was the one with multiple DUIs, lost all their tickets, and then..." 🤯

4 hours ago, SocialD said:

Since we're talking about rail.  Building the rail to the west was done because they had monopolies, an abundance of free land (sorry Native Americans), access to basically slave labor, and a severe lack of laws/lawyers.  We also didn't have a shortage of people who were willing to do anything they had to do to get the job done, especially if someone got in the way...  One of the many reasons we moved west so fast was because of our ability to quickly move people/supplies down the Mississippi for relatively cheap.  Today...we have the Jones Act.  While I support the Jones Act, it's good thing it was enacted before we moved west, or it would have cost A LOT more in both time, and money.  

For a more real time example of how nuetered we have become.   We're stuck using this piece of shit Pex, which apparently is on funding life support.  Meanwhile, the free market has created a far superior product, but the AF keeps blocking that program from the network.  We get in our own way wrt efficiency and progress.  Why?  Because someone isn't getting paid. 

Did you know in the private sector they have AI driven software that can automatically scan and classify all documents in your companies IT spaces. But we are still stuck filling out a 6 question questionnaire every time we hit send on an e-mail because the DoD can't get onboard 2022 and as a result we have far more leakages and mislabled classifications that endanger our national security. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

Huh? I've been gone since '17. Is this literal?

Used to be worse a couple years ago, at least for me, but wouldn't doubt it's still happening in other comm fiefdoms. The whole IT enterprise is a mess. A buddy of mine transitioned from AD to the ANG last Feb and still doesn't even have an email address/account. And he works at a state's JFHQ and has been on orders for a couple months since then, so it's not like he's out of sight and out of mind. Good for him, I guess.

1 hour ago, Lord Ratner said:

Huh? I've been gone since '17. Is this literal?

On SIPR yes, you basically have to fill out the regular classification markings, OCA, declassification date, etc.... most people don't know all of that crap so they just put blanks in or x's and then hit send. Total shit show. 

On 1/3/2023 at 7:29 PM, FLEA said:

... words....

Edit: As a good example, recognizing there are a bunch of imminent domain issues for the east coast solution, have we looked at going subterranean? Boring Company's Prufrock-3 can tunnel SEVEN MILES a day! You can tunnel all 400 miles of the east coast 5 city rail line in a single month working from both directions and run the trains at full highspeed since there would be zero municipal concerns, making the worlds largest and fastest subway!? Like.... lets think outside the box! There is stuff our there, lets use it!

Then Cali would snap off the continent and float away at the next fault tremor.

10 hours ago, FLEA said:

On SIPR yes, you basically have to fill out the regular classification markings, OCA, declassification date, etc.... most people don't know all of that crap so they just put blanks in or x's and then hit send. Total shit show. 

Agree, a lot of the classification system is bullshit.  Why is something classified?  Because the sender or maker made it so, and not necessarily on content.  Friday donut sale at the breakroom is secret cause some dipshit sent the message out on SIPR? 

22 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:
While I like visting, WX and beer you know, it's full of CA douches.  Sat next to one today on a flight from LAX.  I cannot understand why they are such inconsiderate assholes.  
So snapping off would be a Pro.  Wx would move to the new coast next to Otisville (Superman ref) and breweries can be rebuilt.

lex-otisburg.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Clark Griswold

11 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

Snake Plissken is ready

13 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

Guarantee it would sink rather than float, make your own assumptions.

This would start a rash of new earthquake Tunnel Beach T-Shirts. Reminiscent of the “Menlo Beach” T-Shirts decades ago when I visited Menlo Park in the late eighties. Residents were sarcastically hopeful the “Big One” San Andreas fault line would hit and they would have beach front property with sky high value. 

*Desert Hot Springs, San Bernardino, Wrightwood, Palmdale, Gorman, Frazier Park, Daly City, Point Reyes Station and Bodega Bay might have some good investments if you choose the correct side of the fault line for the “Big One.” (Lived in San Bernardino many moons ago and doubt prices would go up much)

On 1/4/2023 at 9:49 AM, mcbush said:

Used to be worse a couple years ago, at least for me, but wouldn't doubt it's still happening in other comm fiefdoms. The whole IT enterprise is a mess. A buddy of mine transitioned from AD to the ANG last Feb and still doesn't even have an email address/account. And he works at a state's JFHQ and has been on orders for a couple months since then, so it's not like he's out of sight and out of mind. Good for him, I guess.

Good for your buddy! Before email life was simpler in a few ways. Wished I never had email when it first started out in the military so the bosses had to actually have the cojones to give me orders or directives in person vs shucking them out like a pez dispenser with no forethought. I know it’s been the norm for a long time, but those first few years were miserable coming back to work after a break and those who rarely worked passed the buck to those who did… Worst leader ever: “Didn’t you get my email…?” Douchebags!