The new airline thread

FUSEPLUG

3 hours ago, guineapigfury said:

IIRC he was dumb enough to pay for it with a credit card as well.

Dave Ramsey should use that as a tag line. “Whether you’re trying to blow up the World Trade Center* or chopping your wife up in a wood chipper, pay in cash!”

*https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_A._Salameh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But if the murder bent pilot had run a couple trees through the chipper after committing the crime, the rental store employees would not have remembered him triggering the search for the credit card plus he would have had plausible rationale for renting the chipper in the first place thus working more favorably in his legal defense versus "No your honor, nobody has ever returned a clean chipper shredder".

I think I just learned how to murder my wife and get away with it on baseops?   Lol

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2022 at 10:38 PM, HuggyU2 said:

I grew up in CT and I vividly remember the whole trial as it was big news and dominated local headlines in the days before the Internet.

My old man worked for the Dept of Corrections starting in 1992 until he retired.  He worked in “prison industries” where the prisoners would come in and work.  His section did computer data entry for the State and other private entities.

I’ll never forget him coming home one day early in his tenure with a look of disbelief.  He said “remember that guy who put his wife through the wood chipper?  He works for me doing data entry.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My understanding was this guy got caught because he cleaned the wood chipper. The machine was so clean the people at the rental store remembered him and when he rented it. 
This was actually a Forensic Files episode for those who watch it regularly. I am always trying to learn new ways to strangle the wife...

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

For the SWA folks is the negative press impacting hiring?  My old squadron bros over there are posting some seriously nasty messages to the leadership about working conditions and an ongoing lack of a contract.  I am guessing the past few days with 70% of the flying scheduled cancelled is not helping the situation.

SWAA.thumb.jpg.40bd2fa39944e6759427bb1bee40eb4e.jpgSWAB.thumb.jpg.c098f074252678d0316f30f22a4d3f8a.jpg

I absolutely hate SWA after what they did to my family a few years back, treated us like garbage and I was a top tier customer (two more flights and I would have earned my second companion pass in a single year).  I know it is a management problem, sounds like a seriously unpleasant place to work.

It's the Walmartizination of airline travel. Cut product and personnel trying to maximize profit and leaving no margin for error. Cancel one flight when running 90% load factors and folks are going to be stuck for a while. Cancel a bunch of flights and fit hits the Shan. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

It's the Walmartizination of airline travel. Cut product and personnel trying to maximize profit and leaving no margin for error. Cancel one flight when running 90% load factors and folks are going to be stuck for a while. Cancel a bunch of flights and shit hits the fan

FIFY. have some respect you're a A10 pilot for fucks sake!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

For the SWA folks is the negative press impacting hiring?  My old squadron bros over there are posting some seriously nasty messages to the leadership about working conditions and an ongoing lack of a contract.  I am guessing the past few days with 70% of the flying scheduled cancelled is not helping the situation.

SWAA.thumb.jpg.40bd2fa39944e6759427bb1bee40eb4e.jpgSWAB.thumb.jpg.c098f074252678d0316f30f22a4d3f8a.jpg

I absolutely hate SWA after what they did to my family a few years back, treated us like garbage and I was a top tier customer (two more flights and I would have earned my second companion pass in a single year).  I know it is a management problem, sounds like a seriously unpleasant place to work.

the only hiring i'd see this affect is below the wing baggage workers or other hourly wage jobs. it's still a great place to be a pilot and every airline has their time in the meltdown machine

5 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Probably too soon to say but SWA has always faced hiring headwinds because of the obvious reasons. IMHO we had been successful in becoming a destination rather than stepping stone airline for 3 reasons: 

1. Best balance sheet among the majors

2. The whole never-furloughed thing

3. Pilots have genuinely loved their jobs. Most of that’s related to the work rules, some of it is tied to that Southwest “culture”

A year ago the company issued furlough warning letters as a political stunt. Everyone knew they didn’t need to furlough but the fact that they took that first step kind of blew up the surety of #2 above and chipped away big time at #3.

The pursuit of #1 came at the expense of investing in modern systems and maximizing efficiency. These meltdowns are a result, which throws into question how long #1 will remain the case. And of course the more meltdowns we have the less people enjoy their jobs. I do think SWA is the index fund of airlines though…doesn’t look so great when times are booming but suddenly pretty attractive in lean years. We’ll see if that remains the case.

I can understand how the mess of cancellations can become a mess quick.  What I can't understand is how the airline had so little SA continue to accept checked bags and not have a way to return them.  Especially if most of the flights are cancelled, there should be extra bag handlers.  I'm sure it is more complicated than that, but it can't be THAT complicated...

5 hours ago, Homestar said:

I’m interested to know how the model (the hub-and-spoke model vs point-to-point model) impacts the ability to recover from a system disruption. Has anyone researched this?

Hub-and-Spoke can centralize a schedule disruption at a hub (e.g., DEN for UAL) by re-routing to other hubs (ORD, IAH, etc.). The point-to-point model has a much harder time recovering from a mass disruption (e.g., aircraft going DEN - MDW - PHL - BOS is cancelled at DEN, which then dominos cancels the remainder of the points). The cancellations using point-to-point isn't normally a big deal until you have a massive weather system, fueling issues at DEN, now causing hundreds of cancellations and SWA's antiquated scheduling software that can't keep up the demand.

Edited by Sua Sponte
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1