Leaving the Air Force for Something Other than the Airlines

HU&W

If you’re an academy grad, going to one of the Service Academy Career Conferences is probably worth your time. They do some seminars that are helpful (to include resume writing tips) and the career fair is also very good.

17 hours ago, SCRIMP said:

Would any of the old heads be willing to post some redacted resume examples to show the writing style that helped them in transitioning to the civilian world?

Whether it's airlines or something else, much is done on line now.  But, it you have a chance/need to go old school with a resume, "writing style" is probably going to make it a fail.  An effective resume is 1 page/1 side - just the facts.  If you start trying to go for style points, it's going to grow to multiple pages and whoever you give it to is going to stop reading.  If you're looking for an example of an airline focused resume, I can send a generic one if you want to message me an email address.  Not sure I have the technical ability to just post it.  Non-airline, I'm probably not going to be much help other than what I've already offered.

17 hours ago, SCRIMP said:

Would any of the old heads be willing to post some redacted resume examples to show the writing style that helped them in transitioning to the civilian world?

Civilian-izing OPR/EPR bullets will be a great start in addition to using the STAR method:

• Managed 69 professional aviators during worldwide operations; implemented scheduling tool that reduced required man-hours by 6.9%

"2" to JeremiahWeed and Day Man. 

1-page resume with clean/professional look (no stupid-ass fonts), "civilianized" job titles. and metric-based bullets devoid of military jargon.  Ignore the garbage that TAP (taught/teaches) for resumes.  YMMV with TAP, just reflecting on my TAP.

STAR.  Learn it...love it or get smashed in interviews.

I have a dual-rated gig on a small (tiny) island in Micronesia as a contractor.  Take home is less than $100k, but it's tax free, my house is included, and there's no car payments or associated insurance as there are no POV's on Island.  

I work 3 days a week with a minimum 4 hour lunch break, which I often spend spearfishing in warm, clear water.  Home every day by 5pm, play golf and go scuba diving at least 3x a week.  Polo shirt and board shorts to work, and was told on day one to never come in unless I'm flying that day.

I'll never make Delta money, but my QOL (for me) is untouchable and I have well into 6 figures of play money year after year with retirement.

While the remote island life is not for everyone, the point is there are plenty of amazing opportunities out there that are off the beaten path if you go searching.  

The industry needs us, which is pretty exciting.

Edited by Grabby

The Reserves must be getting desperate for folks. I got a call today from a Lt. Col. asking me how my transition to civilian life was going and offering that the Reserves are hiring if the transition is harder than expected. I told him that my transition went great when I separated in February 2013. Waiting over 5 years to give the sales pitch for coming back to the AF was probably a little too long.

The Reserves must be getting desperate for folks. I got a call today from a Lt. Col. asking me how my transition to civilian life was going and offering that the Reserves are hiring if the transition is harder than expected. I told him that my transition went great when I separated in February 2013. Waiting over 5 years to give the sales pitch for coming back to the AF was probably a little too long.

Unit and/or MDS of said Reserve unit? Still an employer’s (unit’s) market for TR jobs in my neck if the woods. ARTs, well, that’s another story.

16 hours ago, MilitaryToFinance said:

How how quickly we forget...

At least do a USAFA liaison job. The airlines will tank again, and your life will be much easier if you can go fly something versus selling insurance and waiting for that call back.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 11:24 PM, ayz33 said:

Advise when ready to copy full route clearance

--Do you have coords for that?  I don't have any of those points in my system.  Also, unable for gas.  

--Sigh, cleared direct...

23 hours ago, skibum said:

At least do a USAFA liaison job. The airlines will tank again, and your life will be much easier if you can go fly something versus selling insurance and waiting for that call back.

I may be off on this, but I don't think MTF is an airline guy.  Though he may still have to "sell insurance" if the economy tanks.  

Edited by SocialD

On 6/9/2018 at 10:32 AM, skibum said:

On 6/10/2018 at 10:27 AM, SocialD said:

I may be off on this, but I don't think MTF is an airline guy.  Though he may still have to "sell insurance" if the economy tanks.  

Yes, I always assumed my username was a not particularly subtle clue as to my post-AF career path. My industry is prone to booms and busts as well but I don't see any scenario where I end up back in blue at this point. I just thought it was odd to get a call in June 2018 after I got out in early 2013.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone used any recruiters/head hunters for transitioning to something other than flying? My father talks about how many job interviews these kind of companies got him and fellow officers leaving the military back in the day.

Seems like it would be easier to find opportunities that might be more aligned with what you want to do vs randomly shooting resumes out to companies. 

Edited by Kenny Powers

4 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Has anyone used any recruiters/head hunters for transitioning to something other than flying?

The vast majority of recruiters I've worked with on the civilian side have been colossal wastes of time. However, if you find a good one they are worth the pain & time you put in to finding them. The good ones have strong relationships with hiring managers within companies and can easily put you on top of the piles of resumes. That's how I got my current position. The flip side is that they make money by putting you in a position, so sometimes they're pushing for the easiest/quickest way to do that. I've seen recruiters try to pressure people into lateral moves for less money or into bad companies/positions.

In my experience, finding a good recruiter is almost as much work as landing a good job but can be worth it. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 2:41 AM, Kenny Powers said:

Has anyone used any recruiters/head hunters for transitioning to something other than flying? My father talks about how many job interviews these kind of companies got him and fellow officers leaving the military back in the day.

Seems like it would be easier to find opportunities that might be more aligned with what you want to do vs randomly shooting resumes out to companies. 

From my experience most of the opportunities come from networking.  I was contacted by several recruiters when I retired but they were conducting confidential retained searches.  One led to a series of interviews for a very high-level position that I ultimately decided against.  The job market is hot right now and I would not work with a recruiter who wants to charge you anything.

• Like 1