Professional pilot kill recreation?

jspace17

1IyZbdR.jpg

I'd say that most guys are interested recreational flying but are too cheap to put up the cash to fly.  Here are a few RVs at a fly in, two air force pilots and a Army pilot.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

In a club flying 172/Cherokee 180/Cherokee 6 and as long as the pre-buy goes well, I should have a J-3 Cub next week.  Hoping to make it out to Sentimental Journey in a few weeks.  Planning on flying to the Stearman Fly-In in Galesburg, IL in September and maybe Oshkosh. I think there are only 2 of us in my squadron who love GA.  

YouTube Trent Palmer if you want to watch some great GA videos.

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 1

6 of us in our squadron who are into GA. Some guys can’t fathom the thought of flying GA ever again and some of us love it. Flying is awesome, and there’s plenty of fun flying I get enjoyment out of that doesn’t involve blowing shit up and going fast (though I do love that too).  To each their own.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

My kids are getting old enough now that I need to start taking them flying.  It's hard tho, after you pay your retirement accounts, the mortgage, the car, and all the other stuff it's hard to justify $120/hr.  I'm working on getting checked out on some local planes.  Would love an RV.

2 hours ago, brabus said:

6 of us in our squadron who are into GA. Some guys can’t fathom the thought of flying GA ever again and some of us love it. 

Your unit has good taste. Took a lesson with your old flight doc and he pointed this one out

7656EAAE-98D7-41C5-B6CE-BE6A41C4DD73.jpeg

14 hours ago, Homestar said:

Would love an RV.

Do it.

They are more economical than a certified airplane, you can do as much of the work on it as you like and only need an A&P for the yearly conditional inspection (and if you build it you can sign off the yearly inspection too).  

Hope to see some of you guys at Oshkosh this year!

8 hours ago, brabus said:

It’s a nice airplane, 180s are awesome.

It's that Wiley's 180?

RVs are awesome.  I know the owner of this badass RV.  He's not a Viper guy, just loves/appreciates what the military does and sees it as a tribute to the military.  Great dude that built an immaculate RV-8, with a ridiculously awesome panel.  That thing can fly full coupled ILS approaches and even has a freaking go-around button (only need to add power).  What's crazy is that everything you see on there (patches/numbering/tail letters) was all hand painted...no stickers.  You can't see it, but it even has the refuel door painted on the spine.

RV-8.jpg

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, SocialD said:

It's that Wiley's 180?

RVs are awesome.  I know the owner of this badass RV.  He's not a Viper guy, just loves/appreciates what the military does and sees it as a tribute to the military.  Great dude that built an immaculate RV-8, with a ridiculously awesome panel.  That thing can fly full coupled ILS approaches and even has a freaking go-around button (only need to add power).  What's crazy is that everything you see on there (patches/numbering/tail letters) was all hand painted...no stickers.  You can't see it, but it even has the refuel door painted on the spine.

Jason has a great paint job!   My RV-10 is at the same airport.  I'm not a Viper guy either.  (but my son is).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SocialD said:

It's that Wiley's 180?

RV-8.jpg

I need more money. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

I was floored how much fun an RV-8 was to fly.

I’ve had a good family cruiser since I was 25, love it. The wife and I used to load it with camping gear for long trips. Stop when we got tired or wx was an issue and set up camp.

We did Atlanta to Alaska and it was awesome.

I don’t enjoy heavy IFR, I also had a mechanical close call once so I’m
Much more cautious now of terrain and weather.

The freedom of private flying is where it’s at for me. I love jets but the USAF doesn’t make flying really much fun overall. I’ll fly long after military work is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/6/2019 at 2:16 PM, SocialD said:

It's that Wiley's 180?

RV-8.jpg

I've always thought the RV-8s were a sweet looking aircraft and their performance was pretty good too. Can anyone here speak to how these taildraggers handle during landing?

They are honest taildraggers with decent crosswind capes, 20 knots doable. The gear will wear outer half of tires, so you can get used to flipping on rim. I like Desser retreads, harder compound.

There are upgraded tailwheels and steering links that work great.

Current RV-6 owner, have had S1S, Luscombe, Kitfiox, SuperCubs. RV is about as easy as it gets, great visibility.

Edit, it is a solid SELLERS market right now. There are some models with either small or big vertical tails and rudders. I have a small tail RV-6, it is rudder limited in slip/crosswinds as much any RV, and it's still dandy. Full 40 degree flaps are fine at any crosswind, no tail interaction or aileron washing out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I fly a Piper Lance in my free time.  I love it.  While flying at the airlines is a great job, there's nothing like getting and going WHEN and WHERE I want.  Take the scenic route or take the quickest path?  Fly around NYC or take the Hudson corridor?  These options don't exist at my airline but in GA I can do whatever I want.  I can load the plane to the gills and fly for an hour or two or I can fly across the country if I want.  Recently put 5 grown adults in the plane with luggage and flew to the Finger Lakes in NY for a weekend.  Couldn't have done that without a couple hours in the car.  This way it was an hour in the plane and those who have never flown small GA got to experience it.  One thing I notice about the airlines, is a lot of the time I miss having no schedule nor a stack of rules to adhere too while flying.  Kick the tires and light the fire and we are off!  Of course not everyone is the same and hate the thought of an airplane after work.

*also, I have yet to be re-routed flying GA so that's a plus!

I was fortunate to partner with three other dudes on a Lancair “Legacy” as a mere LTJG, and after that partnership ended I recently purchased an RV-6 with my brother after I pinned on LT.  He enjoys the plane when I’m on deployment, and I get to fly it when I’m in the US.  General aviation allowed me to double my overall flight time last calendar year and introduced me to a whole new set of people I would never otherwise have known..  If you are at all considering flying “recreationally” before, during, or after the military you will not regret it!

066BF284-21AE-4570-84EA-4DF52BF55A4C.jpeg

Edited by KODAK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Orbit said:

Never would have thought there were this many RV owners on the forum.  I feel like we should start a thread dedicated to posting pictures of GA flying.

Huggy started one. Pretty neat to see the different subsections of GA that people take up. 

• Like 2