Well that was nice while it lasted

HossHarris

I'm a free market guy.

Recruiting a problem? GI Bill bennies increased

Retention a problem? GI Transferability easier

If not, make us pay and see where the market goes. My opinion, recruiting isn't swayed - retention is already fvcked 

Eh, from one who enlisted under Montgomery GI bill, my take is it isnt about the money.  The money from the GI.  "They" know a certain number of enlistees will look at the 100 a month and say F that.  And then no matter what, they can never use it.  

The 2400 dollar buy in is not at all the point, it is ensuring a sizable chunk of financially illerate 18 year olds will sign away fhe benefit dorever.

11 hours ago, sputnik said:

Eh, from one who enlisted under Montgomery GI bill, my take is it isnt about the money.  The money from the GI.  "They" know a certain number of enlistees will look at the 100 a month and say F that.  And then no matter what, they can never use it.  

The 2400 dollar buy in is not at all the point, it is ensuring a sizable chunk of financially illerate 18 year olds will sign away fhe benefit dorever.

Which I mean is great if you're  a politician trying to save some cash here or there. "Hey I have a great idea, we can charge for this benefit and those young whippersnappers will want every penny of their paycheck so they won't use it." Screwing over the young and poor, way to go congress making America great again as always... next up is a contract for a defense contractor in the congressmans district for useless stuff the military doesn't need which is double the cost it needs to be and will be pushed to "support our troops..." thanks for your service...

Edited by Snooter

$20T in debt.  Should be $200 for four years.  Still incredibly cheap for the benefits received.

$20T that doesn't need to be paid for on the backs of those that serve. How about entitlement reform across the board instead of singularly on the backs of Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines. When that occurs then come back and let's talk.

FYI, you don't have to defend every terrible, short sighted policy that Congress tries to pass. If you picked your battles on here then more people might actually listen when it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

This is for prior-E Officers but according to the VA if you paid the $1,200 for the MGIB (the $600 kicker doesn't apply) you'll receive it back in the final payment of the Post 9/11 as long as you're receiving BAH while you use the Post 9/11.