Seeking Council on My Situation

dmnhntr

Question

Ladies and Gents,

I'm currently active duty USAF.  I'm doing my level best to earn a pilot slot.  I'm not keeping my eggs all in one basket.  I'm looking at active USAF as well as ANG/AFRES.  I'm also looking at the USMC.  I haven't heard a whole lot from the USN.  I'm studying Aeronautics at ERAU and my grad date is April 2019.  That would put me at 30.  Before graduating, I'm looking at going to ground school as well as getting at least 10 flight hours under my belt to improve my PCSM score.  This is the dream.  All that being said, I could potentially transfer to another university that will potentially put my grad date in April/May 2018.  But, haven't heard back from them yet.  Could potentially this week.  What are your thoughts and council?

2 answers to this question

Having dealt with the USMC process while I was applying, they require an age waiver beyond 27, which has to go up to the Vice Commandant of Aviation. So that takes a lot of time, and they will likely only push that if you put up good numbers on the ASTB and have a good package (sts).

Earlier you can apply and better numbers you can put up on the tests, the better.

Cast a wide net and do lot of leg work researching units and calling Reserve and ANG units.  If you can travel there, ask if you can visit during a drill weekend.  A good starting point is to call recruiters at the units to ask if they have any upcoming hiring boards.  They worst they can say is no.  And you don't want to sit there wondering, "What if?"  There is a blanket age waiver for RPA pilot applicants right now.  You can ask individual units if they are considering age waivers.  Depending on their needs and your qualifications, things might work out.  Again, the worst they can do is say "No thanks" and you never know until you ask.