ANG pilot to Air Force Test Pilot School

I am currently in the process of rushing units, and have submitted an application to the active duty rated board.

It may seem like I am getting a little ahead of myself with this post, but I am thinking about what goals I would like to achieve if I can be hired to fly for a guard unit.  I have an interest in going back for an Aeronautical Engineering degree in order to qualify for Air Force Test Pilot School eventually one day.  I didn't rediscover my passion and enthusiasm for aviation until I was into my final year of college.  Is this possible to apply for USAFTPS if you are a Guard pilot with all of the educational qualifications? Or is only available to AD pilots?

Historically, USAF TPS has been an option only for AD.  I cannot access myPers right now, but I think last year's call for applications may have allowed for Reservists to apply as long as they were willing to reenter AD (or something to that effect).  This year's board message is not out, but given the state of pilot manning, which mirrors the AF writ large, I doubt AFMC and TPS will entertain using slots for ANG/AFRC that could be used for AD.

ETA: The above represents the current state of affairs.  By the time you qualify for TPS, about eight years from now, the policy could change.  If TPS is your ultimate aim, then AD provides your best bet.

Edited by Muscle2002

This was from the pub detailing requirements for applying to TPS 

"1.2.10. AFRC/ANG officers may apply if they meet the requirements of Table 1 and the following:

1.2.10.1. Use the Total Federal Commission Service Date (TFCSD) in place of the Total Active Federal Commission Service (TAFCS) date for computation of time in service limits.

1.2.10.2. To establish eligibility to compete, applicants must submit proof of eligibility to return to and remain on active duty for the entire Active Duty Service Commitment (ADSC) period from HQ AFPC/DPSIPR with their application package. If selected, AFRC/ANG officers shall return to and remain on active duty for the full period of the TPS ADSC"

Edited by rylepav
Clarity

I wouldn't put the cart in front of the horse. But you can do it and it's been done, not common however. Also, don't hang up on an absolute need to be a TPS graduate to get into flight test. It can be done otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But you can do it and it's been done, not common however.

Care to expand on this? Current 11F Guard dude with an engineering degree, have always been curious about TPS but have not looked into the requirements/process much yet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Although not "Guard", I personally know a former U-2 pilot that separated, and was actually recruited by the Reserves to go to USAF TPS.  (He turned it down for yet another great Reserve opportunity).  

With the whole "Total Force" thing going on, I certainly can envision Guardsmen going to TPS sooner rather than later.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2017 at 4:13 PM, Kenny Powers said:

Care to expand on this? Current 11F Guard dude with an engineering degree, have always been curious about TPS but have not looked into the requirements/process much yet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Test Pilot PSDM dropped today on MyPers. Reserve and Guard pilots are allowed to apply.

Make sure you search under Active Duty Officer.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

I'm a helicopter Guard guy who got selected for TPS (Navy TPS at Pax River) during last year's board and I know of at least one Reservist in each of the last two classes at Edwards. So yes, it's possible to apply/get accepted to TPS as a Reservist of Guardsman. For what it's worth, I'm a Guard baby and have always been a Traditional ("part-time") pilot while working as an engineer.

I just wanted to pass along some information for those interested.

Application Process:
The application process is no different if you are a Reservists or Guardsman. Simply follow the instructions in the PSDM. AFI 99-107 has a blurb that states that AFRC/ANG officers need to submit proof of eligibility to return to and remain on active duty with their application, but that was not true as of June of 2017. If in doubt, contact AFPC.

Active Duty:
If selected, you will be put on EAD under the Voluntary Limited Period of Active Duty (VLPAD) program for ~4 years (1 year for TPS and a 3 year TPS ADSC). Under the VLPAD program, Guardsman are separated from the ANG, but remain Reserve officers. Once your EAD tour is complete, you would have to go through a recruiter to join a Guard or Reserve unit again.

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

Just checking in here, curious what has changed in the last 6 years when it comes to AFRC/ANG applying to TPS, and what makes a package competitive vs meeting the minimum stated on edwards' website (any degree, as long as it has 2 calculus courses, physics, and statistics).

• 3 weeks later...