The cadet email thread

Guest tiplax

Guest stusakss

That is funny, but I guess I think about it like a cop, since that is still in my blood. When you are dealing with an individual that is posing a threat, you are authorized to use the minimun amount of force to stop that threat, you can't just beat the person's ass because they were dumb or you had a bad day. Sadly, that is just what the Maj did. He Rodney Kinged the kid, and when you do that, (regardless of weather it is "right" or not), there will be a bill to pay to the man. In this case, the kid got royal treatment because the Maj lost SA and screwed up.

But like in the cop world, if no one sees you do it, you may just get away with your indescressions, but again, the virtual video cameras were rolling and he got caught.

What's sad is the lesson this kid learned from this whole thing. He's pestering the wrong people, going outside the chain of command, and whining when he doesn't get what he wants. As a result he has a full bird kissing his ass and acting like the kid is actually an officer.

This will cripple him someday.

But then again, from what his blog said, he's pretty much tarnished his image at the academy. Hopefully the ride is worth it.

HD

My guess is that Toro and Hoser won't have any comment on this until after 5 Jan... in fact, they may decide that posting anything about this incident is a bad choice.

As one who hit "Send" about 5 years ago and incurred the wrath of a 4-star and MAJCOM Chief Master Sgt, I wouldn't blame Toro and Hoser if they stayed quiet.... but I got to say that I hope someone outside of the 4th finds out what happens on this ort sortie, and posts it.

Side note on the 4th Wing CC: I met him when he was the OG at DLF around Jan '04. You don't see too many O-6 OG's with Senior Pilot wings. This guy is on the high speed track to some stars.

[ 21. December 2006, 01:18: Message edited by: Huggyu2 ]

I've interviewed the Wing CC a few times before he made O6. He struck me as being a really good bloke, and he made a lot of stuff happen for me when I was writing a Strike Eagle book a few years back.

As for the author of the email response, I think he's a good bloke, too. A couple of years back he took the time to set-up a guided tour of the Strike Eagle for a WWII Spitfire pilot - it was a great day for the Spit pilot, and I am sure that the Major's actions that day were totally in the spirit of the USAF. Too bad this email has probably caused him no end of ball ache.

I recieved 1 phone call and 1 email today asking for flights this christmas break from C4Cs (freshmen) at the academy.

Looks like the windfall from this will be bad. I tried to make it known as politely as possible that they werent flying with us this break for obvious reasons.

Now time to see how long it is until I recieve a phone call from the 3-star at the academy demanding a flight for him.

Originally posted by Dunce:

I recieved 1 phone call and 1 email today asking for flights this christmas break from C4Cs (freshmen) at the academy....

Oh yea? Where's MY ride (or for that matter, all of "our" rides)?! If possible, could you schedule a sortie to drop me off at a designated location so I can pick up my 40 acres and a mule? That'd be greeaaat.....thanks!....

- Crog

I doubt they would say anything here whether it was them or someone they knew. Not a good idea to publicize the guy anymore than already has been done....man, what happened to the good days when everyone would just laugh at what he wrote and move on.

Originally posted by Dunce:

I recieved 1 phone call and 1 email today asking for flights this christmas break from C4Cs (freshmen) at the academy.

Looks like the windfall from this will be bad. I tried to make it known as politely as possible that they werent flying with us this break for obvious reasons.

Now time to see how long it is until I recieve a phone call from the 3-star at the academy demanding a flight for him.

That scenario is exactly why the 3-star (if the 3-star involvment portion of the story is, in fact, true) should have kept out of it - whether or not it was justified. He has opened the flood gates for every USAFA and ROTC douchebag to irritate the ever-living-shit out of scheduling shops everywhere and then whine when they don't get their way (entitlement generation, anyone? How about a nice cup of 'shut the f_ck up' for these whiners?!)

Yet another example of a shoe clerk completely out of touch with reality. The same 3 star, back when he was a Captain, would probably be b1tching about this right along with us. Don't know what happens at charm school, but those dudes certainly forget from whence they came (sts).

Originally posted by BeerMan:

Why does a cadet deserve such special treatment?

The cadet himself doesn’t deserve special treatment. What does need to be addressed is the image of that FW as a result of that email. The Wing King was trying to stem the tide of huge PA disaster… since we’ve all received that email in our inbox, who knows who else is getting it? We all know how quickly an insignificant email can turn into a media frenzy. I bet it really sucked when the CC had to hear about the email from one of his buddies. I wouldn’t want to be that Major. Merry Christmas, there’s a LOC under your tree.

This cadet is retarded. What the hell are they teaching at the zoo? That you deserve everything you want? I'm a nav stud a couple months away from graduating, but I sure as hell am not going to strut over to the 99th and ask for a -38 ride.

Take what you are given, and don't ask for more.

• Toro featured and unfeatured this topic
  • 6 months later...
On 3/16/2017 at 11:21 AM, bluedevil said:

Great insight, thanks. So a 2.5 hr drive pretty much puts short call out of the question but makes long call quite a bit easier than a jump seat commute.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Not necessarily, if you have your bagged packed, uniform ready to go, and are sitting in the house, maybe no big deal.  But if you have just drained the oil out of your car doing an oil change or are on the road knocking out miles running or cycling, you could be in a time crunch.  A long drive on short call might limit your sphere of activities.

Edited by TreeA10

3 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

Not necessarily, if you have your bagged packed, uniform ready to go, and are sitting in the house, maybe no big deal.  But if you have just drained the oil out of your car doing an oil change or are on the road knocking out miles running or cycling, you could be in a time crunch.  A long drive on short call might limit your sphere of activities.

Indeed.  I live about 3 hours away from the airport so when I had short call, I'd drive 1.5 hours closer, then double-dip some pay at Starbucks doing my quarterly CBT, or go cruise Best Buy or CarMax for a while.  Sometimes go to the beach or do a short run (they never said you had to show up clean!)  Thankfully I never got called for a true short call, usually just assigned flying at 0600 the next day...so I'd just drive to an airport hotel and hit the pool and/or bar until bed time.  Rough life.

• Upvote 1