Vance OG/CC bans alcohol

flyusaf83

14 minutes ago, Herk Driver said:

That's what I figured and hopefully you are correct. Without being at Vance this is an academic argument ...no email is going to lay out specifics since those are best covered at CC calls or other forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Fair enough.  I'm not there, thankfully.  However, I've endured several mass punishments and never knew exactly why, how I was supposed to make it better, what the end state was, why I was responsible, etc.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ram said:

Hmm...you say JQP only told one side of the story just to generate traffic?  You say he doesn't care about the truth? 

Yep.  Ever since Tony sold to Bright Mountain Media, let's just say the blog's quality has declined a little.

• Upvote 2

It jumped the shark before that.  TC just can't fathom that he could ever be wrong about anything.  Reading his diatribes was a peak into the mind of a very special kind of narcissist. 

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, Ram said:

It jumped the shark before that.  TC just can't fathom that he could ever be wrong about anything.  Reading his diatribes was a peak into the mind of a very special kind of narcissist. 

For a recent example, check out his "analysis" on the Thunderbird mishap...laughable.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

I never had a stud or IP in my flight get out of control or attempt to drink and drive after a beer-light Friday. But guess what? If that would have happened, I would have been there and been able to intervene. This new policy would have made that harder if the event would have been off base somewhere where I have less ability to control the situation.

Well congrats on looking after your folks.  This obviously isn't happening at Vance.  Additionally there is only so much "harsh" punishment you can dole out to someone who just self-identified to end their career before it barely started.

21 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

And then he has the audacity to give the only blanket waiver to the freaking O-6 promotion party?  Are you kidding me?

I agree the optics are bad on this one, but to be honest the exemptions were probably the official events people had already shelled out money to the club for kegs.

16 hours ago, Bowser36 said:

Dude, it is a big deal. He's taking away one of the best things about the Air Force and one of the things that differentiates us from other organizations. It may sound crazy, but hanging out in the bar with the bro's is one of the things that makes a 70 hour work week palatable. I feel bad for you if your community has lost that tradition. If all I can do is fly planes and go home, I might as well work for Delta- a lot more money and a lot less BS.

This paragraph should be framed and put in the "Why other services think the USAF is a joke" museum.  My community loves their beer-drinking traditions just as much as the next, but we have a pretty good track record of protecting that privilege by watching out for each other.  Having fun and being responsible aren't mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 1

Beerman, you make some good points. I hope this mass punishment doesn't last too long. I could see it backfiring if it does.

5 hours ago, drewpey said:

This paragraph should be framed and put in the "Why other services think the USAF is a joke" museum.  My community loves their beer-drinking traditions just as much as the next, but we have a pretty good track record of protecting that privilege by watching out for each other.  Having fun and being responsible aren't mutually exclusive.

Sounds like a lame-ass museum. The grunts I've protected on the ground didn't think we were a joke. The squadron bar is an important part of the Air Force culture. I'd hate to see it go away. Good learning occurs there.

Thank you for stating the obvious. I never implied you had to break rules to have fun.

I wonder how many DUIs would have happened if the SPs/Cops let them go (ie...have someone get them) or drive them home...like happened back when this Colonel was a LT?  Not that I'm condoning drinking and driving.  

Been a part of more than a few mass punishments.  All it did was make the rest of us resent, and lose faith in leadership.  Why the fuck am I being punished when I wasn't there, or had no knowledge of said incidents?  It permanently damaged their ability to effectively lead us, and did nothing to solve the issue.  

There are more than a few states that ban alcohol on Guard bases.   Ours was imposed by our state leadership  (Army General) after a rash of ARMY guard incidents...in a different city!  Until "creative measures" were taken, it SEVERLY impacted the debrief.  We're on year 10ish of this alcohol ban.  

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 3

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:42 PM, jazzdude said:

Something like 3-5 DUIs in a short period of time (like a month or so), as well as some shenanigans involving roll calls.

Vance does have AADD, and I believe casual LTs (or the baby class) are the drivers for events (track select, assignment night, graduation).

I love how leadership thinks they can actually control this in an effective manner, especially with civilians.  No wonder the clubs are no longer any fun or are shut down.  I have been out of the service for a while, but still don't enjoy drinking with my coworkers.  It seems to only lead to trouble. 

You can't really control people or really save them from themselves.  People who drink and drive will drink and drive.  People who want to end their lives will.  We tend to go full retard and go into accident/risk prevention mode on numerous issues in all service. 

• Upvote 4

On 3/12/2017 at 4:48 PM, Waingro said:

The irony... I remember when Huge was the Mayor at a certain flying training squadron at Moody. Those roll calls were some of the rowdiest I've been to, even 15 years later. I wonder what 2002 Huge would say to 2017 Huge. 

The Mayor has lost control!

The Mayor sucks!

• Upvote 1

The Mayor sucks!

I love how leadership thinks they can actually control this in an effective manner, especially with civilians.  No wonder the clubs are no longer any fun or are shut down.  I have been out of the service for a while, but still don't enjoy drinking with my coworkers.  It seems to only lead to trouble. 
You can't really control people or really save them from themselves.  People who drink and drive will drink and drive.  People who want to end the8uthe8uiruuuuuuuuuuuu u

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

The Mayor sucks!

You can't really control people or really save them from themselves.  People who drink and drive will drink and drive.  People who want to end the8uthe8uiruuuuuuuuuuuu u

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...