What do you think?

71P/71N/68ABM/66V/50AA/35Q

PCSM: 35 / 0 hrs

2.57 GPA in Anthropology Concentrated in Sustainable Development

17OT02 Pilot/RPA/CSO/ABM

Played Rugby for 4 years in college, captain for 2.

Random volunteer work over the years.

5 LORs, 2 from an AF Major and Lt. Col, 3 professonal. 

No waivers.

Edited by Thundercathooo
Adding more shenanigans
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Thundercathooo said:

71P/71N/68ABM/66V/50AA/35Q

PCSM: 35 / 0 hrs

2.57 GPA in Anthropology Concentrated in Sustainable Development

17OT02 Pilot/RPA/CSO/ABM

Played Rugby for 4 years in college, captain for 2.

Random volunteer work over the years.

5 LORs, 2 from an AF Major and Lt. Col, 3 professonal. 

No waivers.

Study both afoqt and tbas and retake. Gpa is on the low side with your degree, but they say the time is now to apply if you were ever going to apply. Active duty ots upt is very competitive and you'll need as high of afoqt and tbas scores as possible to disconflict what is shown with your gpa. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

My recruiter seems confident is my application. He said he has seen people with lower GPAs and worse scores get in. That doesnt mean much till I get accepted. If I don't get accepted on this board, I am definitely retaking the AFOQT. I can apply to Non-Rated jobs now, as well.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Gtseth818 said:

I'm not trying to be that guy, but I honestly think you have very little chance of getting a pilot slot (if that's what you're after) with those scores/GPA. I've attached aggregate data from the last three fiscal years. The lowest PCSM score for FY16 was 78! Remember, you're competing against people nationwide with hundreds of flight hours, PCSMs in the high 90's, and AFOQT scores in the high 90s with relevant degrees and high GPAs.

It's not the end of the world though, study up and retake those tests! And get some damn flight hours! I'm confident you can get your PCSM up into the 80s and make your application stand out a bit better.

Untitled.png

lol, I definitely want to get some flying hours in. Honestly, I botched the Table Reading section. Couldnt get into the groove. I've seen the average PCSM for RPA was a 35. Does that hold any merit? 

Pilot would be nice, but I would take a job being an officer for a cupcake factory if offered.

Edited by Thundercathooo
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gtseth818 said:

It sure does. Sounds like a good portion of your application is stellar. It's definitely about the whole person concept. However, I'm not sure what the competition for RPA or other positions looks like out there. As others have said, it doesn't hurt to apply. If you don't get selected, get those scores up!

Can you get credit for flight hours if you are just sitting in the cockpit watching the pilot fly? Also, does simulator hours count?

5 hours ago, Gtseth818 said:

I'm not trying to be that guy, but I honestly think you have very little chance of getting a pilot slot (if that's what you're after) with those scores/GPA. I've attached aggregate data from the last three fiscal years. The lowest PCSM score for FY16 was 78! Remember, you're competing against people nationwide with hundreds of flight hours, PCSMs in the high 90's, and AFOQT scores in the high 90s with relevant degrees and high GPAs.

It's not the end of the world though, study up and retake those tests! And get some damn flight hours! I'm confident you can get your PCSM up into the 80s and make your application stand out a bit better.

Untitled.png

I believe those stats are for UFT (Undergraduate Flying Training) boards for those who are already AD commissioned officers. I'm no expert, but I've dug around this forum and airforceots.com a lot over the past few years and it seems that the OTS rated boards are a bit less competitive.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mb1685 said:

I believe those stats are for UFT (Undergraduate Flying Training) boards for those who are already AD commissioned officers. I'm no expert, but I've dug around this forum and airforceots.com a lot over the past few years and it seems that the OTS rated boards are a bit less competitive.

Keep the good news flowing! I find out in less then two weeks if I got selected. Ill hop back on here if I get accepted. I'll be known as 2ndLt Whole Package. 

Yeah, those stats are for the Active Duty board for current officers. If I'm not mistaken that's the most competitive avenue to a UPT slot. 

The Active Duty OTS process is entirely different. They're not selecting you on your potential ability as a Pilot but rather your potential ability as an officer. If you're in the Facebook group for 17OT02 you can see the grading criteria. To summarize it, the PCSM score is applied within the "education" grading block which also includes your AFOQT score and GPA. The education block makes up 3/10ths of your entire score. So it stands to reason that your PCSM makes up a relatively small portion of your overall application.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Gtseth818 said:

Good to know. My apologies for spreading misinformation. OP, I hope I didn't discourage you. Just keep a level head and remember to keep at it. If it's something you truly want, you will achieve it.

You're good! Honesty doesn't hurt my feelings. If not selected this round I am going to do everything possible to improve.

1 hour ago, rti35 said:

Yeah, those stats are for the Active Duty board for current officers. If I'm not mistaken that's the most competitive avenue to a UPT slot. 

The Active Duty OTS process is entirely different. They're not selecting you on your potential ability as a Pilot but rather your potential ability as an officer. If you're in the Facebook group for 17OT02 you can see the grading criteria. To summarize it, the PCSM score is applied within the "education" grading block which also includes your AFOQT score and GPA. The education block makes up 3/10ths of your entire score. So it stands to reason that your PCSM makes up a relatively small portion of your overall application.

I'm in the group. Do you have any idea where we discussed that? Or how I can take a look at the break down?