Hiring Freeze on Federal Employees

MitchS

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/trump-freezes-hiring-of-federal-workers/2017/01/23/f14d8180-e190-11e6-ba11-63c4b4fb5a63_story.html?tid=pm_politics_pop&utm_term=.576b451a82de

He says specifically that the military is exempted from this, but the reach of that exemption isn't clear. Does anybody know how this will affect civilian positions in military units?

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/pentagon-confirms-trump-hiring-freeze-locks-out-military-civilians

Looks like there's the answer.

@MC5Wes, how did you hear that it was for 90 days?

Those of you who have been in for a few hiring freezes, can we expect it to last exactly as long as they initially say it will? And once the freeze is up, does DoD hire at an accelerated rate to pick up the slack?

It's in the Executive Order 

Within 90 days of the date of this memorandum, the Director of
the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), in consultation with
the Director of OPM, shall recommend a long-term plan to reduce
the size of the Federal Government's workforce through
attrition.  This order shall expire upon implementation of the
OMB plan.

so it's 90 days or until the OMB comes up with a plan.

4 minutes ago, BUM15 said:

I'm assuming this wipes out the recent upt grad Temp-art deal on the reserve side?

I think that wiped itself out already anyway, except maybe for the goobers that signed it. 

• Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, BUM15 said:

Yea, sounds like it. Was thinking about it as a decent fall back plan but sounds like it's gonzo

Yeah the funny thing about it is that I'm sure plenty of people would be glad to take the offer as a means of having a full time employment. So to force a 6 year commitment on somebody when a lot of people would probably gladly take it anyway didn't seem to make a lot of sense. But based on what I've heard from talking to people in AFRC - there is likely enough demand for you to participate a lot even without the ART commitment. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BUM15 said:

Yea, sounds like it. Was thinking about it as a decent fall back plan but sounds like it's gonzo

We have a TDART on our UMD. It's a GS-12 pilot position. For a 2d Lt straight out of FTU it's not a bad gig. 40 hour work weeks and controlled queep levels.

Edit: It's vacant as well and we're still hiring ARTs.

Edited by LookieRookie

Edit: It's vacant as well and we're still hiring ARTs.

The T-DART program is alive and well but voluntary . I would like to know how you are working around the current hiring freeze, since AFRC A1 doesn't have anything in place to get around it currently. PM me if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

More guidance. Link to actual memo at bottom of article.

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Releases/News-Release-View/Article/1068676/department-of-defense-announces-guidance-on-implementation-of-civilian-workforc

Looks like the dual status jobs, mil-civ arts, are waiting on a case by case approval.

Edited by Earle P

In the Guard, we received guidance that title 32 technicians are not covered by the freeze and we are hiring. Title 5 civilians are covered and AFPC says we should not expect any hiring until fall of this year.

7 hours ago, SuperWSO said:

In the Guard, we received guidance that title 32 technicians are not covered by the freeze and we are hiring. Title 5 civilians are covered and AFPC says we should not expect any hiring until fall of this year.

Interesting. Do Reserve technicians fall under title 5 ?

On February 10, 2017 at 4:33 PM, BUM15 said:

Interesting. Do Reserve technicians fall under title 5 ?

I'm not sure what flavor of GS an ART would be.