The Congressman is back yo

congressman

15 hours ago, Random Guy said:

YES, homelessness in democratically controlled regions, such as California and Washington State, and large cities like SF, Portland, and Seattle have serious problems with inequality, employment, and asset prices. This is what [economic] liberalism produces. We are seeing the conclusion of 40 years of liberal [economic] policy pursued by both parties.

Surely it has nothing to do with California regulating building so tightly that a 1500 sqft home costs over a million dollars to build, right?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pawnman said:

Surely it has nothing to do with California regulating building so tightly that a 1500 sqft home costs over a million dollars to build, right?

I think people misunderstand that CA natives don't want people moving there, and they use their legal system to intentionally restrict housing, driving up home prices to increase their own wealth, and make the people moving to the state miserable in the hopes they will some day go home. And it's working, inflow to CA was negative for the first time last year. Honestly, CA natives just want to go back to a state of 1900's rural beach property and empty land. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Random Guy said:

I think people misunderstand that CA natives don't want people moving there, and they use their legal system to intentionally restrict housing, driving up home prices to increase their own wealth, and make the people moving to the state miserable in the hopes they will some day go home. And it's working, inflow to CA was negative for the first time last year. Honestly, CA natives just want to go back to a state of 1900's rural beach property and empty land. 

So it isn't just monetary policy making housing expensive there. It's deliberate refusal to build enough housing to meet demand, coupled with the insane notion that letting people live on a sidewalk is somehow more compassionate than getting them into a treatment program. 

And now you know how Colorado natives feel about Californians…

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, pawnman said:

So it isn't just monetary policy making housing expensive there. It's deliberate refusal to build enough housing to meet demand, coupled with the insane notion that letting people live on a sidewalk is somehow more compassionate than getting them into a treatment program. 

Nothing about liberalism is compassionate. Treating individuals as labour inputs cannot be compassionate given basic properties of a human being, like family, community. 

CA purposefully under supplies housing because they don't want to live in a populated area. They don't want coastal CA to be like Hong Kong.

If you mean that low interest rates drives up housing prices--yes, it does. But ultimately banks create the money they issue to home buyers, so house prices reflect whatever banks are willing to create. That's accounting convention--houses are priced according to comparables rather than some other metric, which produces a pro-cyclical dynamic: the more banks lend, prices go up, the more collateral prices go up, the more banks can justify creating money (larger loans). When the income of households fails to cover the interest burden, households take on short term debt to pay off their interest burden, which makes the system more susceptible to short term changes in interest rates. But the bubble dynamics of housing are much more complicated than that today, because the financial instruments themselves (MBS) serve as collateral for other money creation. A house of cards within a house of cards within a house of cards. This is why the Fed has placed itself in as a dealer in money markets via the Standing Repo Facility and Bond Purchasing program. Its has woven a web of interrelated debt structures which everything depends on but can't sustain itself. This is why @Lord Ratner is talking about there being 'too much debt', which is generally correct but an oversimplification--the wrong kind of debt (the wrong kind of money). Debt is money. You can't just reduce debt, that reduces money--the deficit reduction we see happening now may reduce the money supply far below the required amount needed to sustain the private debt structure.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Looks like a great time to own property in Canada 

Only if you're selling, now.

Canada uses adjustable rate and intro-rate mortgages almost exclusively. The rate hikes are having much more immediate effects in Canada, and will profoundly impact the foreclosure and eviction statistics. Prices rarely stay above historical income ratios for long (for obvious reasons), so expect a big crash.

And since, like here, there is political pressure to fix the "housing shortage," tanking the housing market is not going to cause much heartburn with the Fed, though that may change when the baby boomers see their only retirement plan (an overvalued home) vaporize.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Random Guy said:

inane babbling

edit: I went over to the money thread...time I'll never get back...and realized what Random Guy really is, so I'll stop feeding the troll.

Edited by FourFans130
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

edit: I went over to the money thread...time I'll never get back...and realized what Random Guy really is, so I'll stop feeding the troll.

I was surprised how many are feeding him.

News about this clown keeps showing up on my feed. He may not have a seat in the House soon, but he has social media and an insatiable need to create drama. He's picking fights with another low quality Republican, Meghan McCain. LOL

Adam Meghan.jpg

4 hours ago, torqued said:

News about this clown keeps showing up on my feed. He may not have a seat in the House soon, but he has social media and an insatiable need to create drama. He's picking fights with another low quality Republican, Meghan McCain. LOL

Adam Meghan.jpg

Speaking of the burn pit bill hold up, is there more to the story? I find it hard to believe that a handful of Republicans would blatantly hold up a non partisan bill helping veterans unless there was some typical pork barreling / diversion going on.  

3 hours ago, dream big said:

Speaking of the burn pit bill hold up, is there more to the story? I find it hard to believe that a handful of Republicans would blatantly hold up a non partisan bill helping veterans unless there was some typical pork barreling / diversion going on.  

According to one Sen. it something about discretionary spending. Can find the interview.

4 minutes ago, BrightNeptune said:

Nothing happened, nothing is going to happen, and she was never at any risk. She would not go if a deal had not been struck that ensures her safety while letting China save face.

Taiwan had a big cyber attack this AM.  Chicom AF also flew some sweeps right up to the line in The past few hours.  I expect the Chicoms will launch some missiles and other bluster, more worried about an accident than something purposeful.

NINTCHDBPICT000751151240.jpg?strip=all&w

Props to the men and women of the 73d & 54th AS! Maybe this can help save their wing from being shutdown.

22 minutes ago, BrightNeptune said:

Nothing happened, nothing is going to happen, and she was never at any risk. She would not go if a deal had not been struck that ensures her safety while letting China save face.

Yea, that's not how these missions work. We get DIPs just like everyone else does (well, kinda).

Edited by StoleIt
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
55 minutes ago, herkbum said:

The congressman should have simply responded with the ever popular “your an idiot” reply used by all of us linguistically gifted internet warriors. What a rookie.