The Congressman is back yo

congressman

53 minutes ago, jazzdude said:

Without the Senate, big states can screw over small states, as well as the people within those states. For example, federal funding for programs (from federal taxes levied on individuals and businesses) could be diverted from small states into big states, and the small states would have no recourse due to their small population. Or big states could decide "nuclear power is great, let's do it, but where should we put the waste?" and vote to put it in say South Dakota, because SD wouldn't have enough representatives to block that vote.

It’s kind of funny, because I would support making a smart nationalized decision for the United States. And I would 100% desire nuclear waste from New York, Texas, and California to go to places that aren’t populated. Say, South Dakota.

Another example you will likely disagree with: I wouldn’t support “oil or coal states” getting to make up their own rules that counteract national policy just to maintain state jobs.

You’re missing the point. The argument is about how the government should be to achieve our ideals. And if you think modern day American government is the same as when it created, you’re not watching.

There have been more insidious and non drastic changes to our legislature that have popped up in recent history that have shifted the balance towards a differently balanced republic than originally intended.

Two examples: the capping of representatives at 435 and the increased proclivity of things like the filibuster that give more power to minority states than originally intended.

There, now we’ve gone full circle.

It’s kind of funny, because I would support making a smart nationalized decision for the United States. And I would 100% desire nuclear waste from New York, Texas, and California to go to places that aren’t populated. Say, South Dakota.
Another example you will likely disagree with: I wouldn’t support “oil or coal states” getting to make up their own rules that counteract national policy just to maintain state jobs.

What if, in my example, the citizens of south Dakota doesn't want their backyard to be used for nuclear waste storage? Or to have consideration (funding) for maintaining the site? What if they have concerns about safety, or believe the waste site hurts their economy? Since they're taking waste from other states, should they get extra funding as a "thank you" to fund initiatives for their citizens? In a direct democracy, their voice could be effectively silenced by the majority a thousand miles away, and that majority wouldn't even have to debate any of the concerns-just up straight skip to the vote because the votes would be there.

National policy (set by executive branch) is one thing. States are free to do their own thing. Of course, the federal government (executive) can encourage cooperation through slowing funding. But if other states are concerned about individual states doing things that affect them, it needs to be more than just policy. It needs to be law. And since multiple states could be affected, it should be handled at the federal level.

So in your second example, I'd agree with you. Though the issue you point out has implications outside the state. Pollution affects others, and energy resources are critical to national security, not to mention our economy. So it makes sense to have laws and policy at the national level. We also do it for other things we value as a nation-look at our national parks program and federally protected wildlife areas, or our airspace.

Another good example is minimum wage. There's a federal standard, but some states have set a higher minimum wage, and some counties or cities even above that. As long as the state or local governments don't break federal laws, they can make it more restrictive. If someone believes in raising the minimum wage, they should be lobbying at all levels. And the local level would likely be the most responsive, as we see with minimum wage.

I agree with that smart, nationalized decisions can be good. But we are a very (physically) large and diverse nation, so things that work in the New York may not work in Oklahoma or Oregon or. This makes it challenging to take a one size fits all approach, because that leaves a lot of people unhappy. Putting power in states lets power reside much closer to the local area, and be more responsive for the residents.
  • Upvote 4

I see your points, especially about things like minimum wage that are localized. I am just wary about the ability to stonewall the majority. As easily as the majority can overrun the minority, there is a tyranny of the minority that must be kept in check as well. Thanks for the response.

• Like 1

Man, I think it’s been three years or better since I’ve looked at Baseops. Almost Five years since I retired.  Since everything went crazy, I found myself wondering what the BO crowd was saying.Tonight, I finally looked.  I’ve read through a few threads, and must say...I am still impressed by the level of discussion here.  Y’all are awesome. And also, thanks to Congressman for standing up for what he believes is right. Takes some nuts.  Props to y’all for great discussion as well. Quality people here, man.  Proud to have served with most of ya!  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Thought he had a pretty good interview on Bill Maher’s show that aired Friday. Maher tried to get him to bite off on a “religion is bullshit” tangent, but Kinzinger did a good job staying on the topic at hand. He certainly seems to be finding his niche as a more traditional Republican. I sincerely hope he represents the future of the party. 

On 2/6/2021 at 11:13 AM, Homestar said:

But that’s fundamentally NOT what/who we are. It’s like saying you want a purple orange to eat. Great. But you’re going to get an orange orange. 

Or the old saying, Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for supper.

But that’s fundamentally NOT what/who we are. It’s like saying you want a purple orange to eat. Great. But you’re going to get an orange orange. 
Until your orange orange turns into a purple orange... Got curious and Google did not disappoint!
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-26/science-reveals-why-orange-turned-purple-overnight/10230418

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/02/man-who-refused-bow/618156/

“Kinzinger’s stance has earned him some critics. One of Trump’s fawning court pastors, Franklin Graham—the son of the prominent evangelical preacher Billy Graham—attacked the 10 Republicans who supported impeachment. “It makes you wonder what the thirty pieces of silver were that Speaker Pelosi promised for this betrayal,” Graham wrote on Facebook.

“He said we took pieces of silver from Nancy Pelosi because—what?” Kinzinger asked me. “Trump is Jesus Christ? Christians have got to open their eyes and be like, ‘What is happening?’”

“But while what happened to Kinzinger may be extreme, he is hardly alone; politics is placing stress on countless relationships among friends and family, and shattering more than a few. “Do you have any advice for people struggling to reach people they love at moments like this?” I asked. “What would you say on the interpersonal side of things? How can repair and reconciliation go forward?”

“It’s a tough one,” Kinzinger conceded. “Because I say, on the one hand, try to have compassion for them; they’re brainwashed. It’s true, but I also know truthfully that if I’m talking to somebody that is saying what they’re saying and I know they’re brainwashed, it doesn’t help me look at them any better. I’m just being honest.”

As we spoke, it became clear that Kinzinger was still trying to understand what’s going on beneath the anger and the hate, even as he has become its target. One clinical psychologist told me when the letter was published that Kinzinger was on the receiving end of a textbook cultlike response: remove yourself from the devil, cut the person off from the family, prove devotion to leader and mission.”

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Homestar said:

The GOP contingent in the House is now largely ballless Betas afraid of their own shadows.  For proof look no further than this weekend's Hunter S. Thompson fever-dream that is CPAC.  I have tons of respect for Rep. Kinzinger for sticking to his principles, ignoring the conspiracy theories, and fighting for the soul of conservatism.  The GOP needs as many Adam Kinzingers as they can find.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Too many politicians have joined the Trump-as-Jesus-Christ cult that has also swept the nation. Not that all Trump voters act this way, but the emergence and strength of the QAnon cult is evidence that there is a good percentage that believe this. It’s going to be an uphill battle and I wouldn’t be surprised if Kinzinger gets primaried by a Margorie Greene type. 

I hope this isn’t the case. I’m a big Crenshaw fan on policy and Kinzinger fan on leadership. 

I hope/believe Rep Kinzenger will make it through these times, and remembered for his courage to take on the party.  The rest are spineless or complicit. 

I remember a class in school where we learned about mass hysteria and some examples in history.  These times sound a lot like a mass hysteria event/s.  Its a psychology problem I guess.  That so many are influenced is quite amazing.  And our foreign adversaries are probably grinning and chuckling, giddy with joy.

Out

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Homestar said:

Too many politicians have joined the Trump-as-Jesus-Christ cult that has also swept the nation. Not that all Trump voters act this way, but the emergence and strength of the QAnon cult is evidence that there is a good percentage that believe this. It’s going to be an uphill battle and I wouldn’t be surprised if Kinzinger gets primaried by a Margorie Greene type. 

I hope this isn’t the case. I’m a big Crenshaw fan on policy and Kinzinger fan on leadership. 

He’s getting challenged by Catalina Lauf, she ran in 20 against a Dem and didn’t win. She was one of many female’s running last time. She had more support this time from the Republican Party, which Imo she should have last time as well, and isn’t afraid to put America First and not just ride the coat tails of the tea party movement then do something else. Only time will tell. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, cragspider said:

isn’t afraid to put America First

By this are you implying that Kinzinger doesn't have American interests in the front of the mind? Or do you mean that he isn't a good Republican because he didn't "kiss the ring?"  Because did you read the article?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Homestar said:

By this are you implying that Kinzinger doesn't have American interests in the front of the mind? Or do you mean that he isn't a good Republican because he didn't "kiss the ring?"  Because did you read the article?

Adam is a great American and I hope he wins another term.  He has done a LOT behind the scenes to help the men and women who serve....many of you on this forum have benefited from his efforts and don't even know it.  He was right to vote his conscience and stand on his principle.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Adam is a great American and I hope he wins another term.  He has done a LOT behind the scenes to help the men and women who serve....many of you on this forum have benefited from his efforts and don't even know it.  He was right to vote his conscience and stand on his principle.

See? Look, something we agree on.

No Fear

Thanks fellas.  Fear is really all over politics and its corrosive.  Im at total peace.  Put the above video out yesterday on Fear to begin that convo on what is driving our politics and what is the next generation learning, besides be crazy=get famous.

• Like 24
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1