The Congressman is back yo

congressman

Thanks for the opportunity to chat.  My question: when will congress debate and authorize (or disapprove and bring us home) any of the current OCOs?  We are using lethal authorities of the AUMF still, for enemies not listed there.  Why has congresss absconded it's role in authorizing military force, and what can be done about it?  

Thanks so much for this opportunity and insight. Your desire to slash the civilian behemoth within the DoD fires me up! I'll be watching that one.

If sequestration is rolled back as you expect and military spending increases, where will we get some savings? It can't just come from DoD civilians. What social programs will get cut? What would you cut? Any prognostication from you on this issue would be a good read.

The cuts to BAH down to 95% feel like a break in faith and I would appreciate it if this would get repealed.

As some of the bros and I approach 20 years of service and we look at what would keep us in the 11F ranks, here was one proposal: pay one year of the ARP bonus for every year the pilot will stay on AD. This would be a year to year bonus contract so as to not make us feel like we are locked into something that is crazy long term, but would pay for the experience we bring. This won't keep everyone, but anecdotally, it will keep those who love serving their country, but are simply too enticed by the airline pay.

I grew up an Illinoisan in what is now the 13th district, and I appreciate who you represent and how you represent them. I wonder as the population of IL continues to dwindle if there will be fewer districts after the 2020 census? There are fewer and fewer reasons for my family members to stay.

Thanks again.

4 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

Hey, an easy way to talk to a Congress Man, I'll bite.  And this one can't be too hard to tack on to a Defense bill.

Did you know that when any of us has a pay issue that results in over payment, DFAS will start charging the member 5% interest until its paid.  This occurs even if the amount is in dispute/wrong.  And to get any of that interest back takes a very long time (I'm at a year).  The red tape is soooooooooooooo excruciating in that department.  So, I propose that DFAS can't charge interest any higher than my checking account, currently less than 1%.  Tie it to the Fed rate, no more.  BTW, if anyone here is making 5% on a savings or checking account, please tell me know; DFAS isn't into banking yet.

So there, an easy line item change to current law. Reduce the interest rate DFAS can charge on debts.

Out

I'll echo this - DFAS debt collections are super fucked up. My debt was easily shown to be incorrect and it still took 6 months to get it back. You pay or they send you to collections. Their communications take 150 days from when you send in an issue and when they answer.

• Upvote 2

I'm loving some of the ideas being presented by individual congressmen to limit the power and increase the transparency of government.  One in particular that's caught my attention is being pushed by Mia Love from Utah.  It involves setting rules that all legislation be single subject, with clear titles, effectively preventing sneaky riders.  Do you see any potential of a caucus forming around such an idea, or is the current paradigm too deeply entrenched in the culture of both sides of the aisle?

15 hours ago, 11F said:

Thanks so much for this opportunity and insight. Your desire to slash the civilian behemoth within the DoD fires me up! I'll be watching that one.

If sequestration is rolled back as you expect and military spending increases, where will we get some savings? It can't just come from DoD civilians. What social programs will get cut? What would you cut? Any prognostication from you on this issue would be a good read.

The cuts to BAH down to 95% feel like a break in faith and I would appreciate it if this would get repealed.

As some of the bros and I approach 20 years of service and we look at what would keep us in the 11F ranks, here was one proposal: pay one year of the ARP bonus for every year the pilot will stay on AD. This would be a year to year bonus contract so as to not make us feel like we are locked into something that is crazy long term, but would pay for the experience we bring. This won't keep everyone, but anecdotally, it will keep those who love serving their country, but are simply too enticed by the airline pay.

I grew up an Illinoisan in what is now the 13th district, and I appreciate who you represent and how you represent them. I wonder as the population of IL continues to dwindle if there will be fewer districts after the 2020 census? There are fewer and fewer reasons for my family members to stay.

Thanks again.

I think we really have to talk about entitlement reform.  Im not optomistic it will happen but it needs to for us younger types.  Tax reform will help grow the economy too which is the best way to close budget gaps.  In a hurry so that is a quick response.

14 hours ago, HU&W said:

I'm loving some of the ideas being presented by individual congressmen to limit the power and increase the transparency of government.  One in particular that's caught my attention is being pushed by Mia Love from Utah.  It involves setting rules that all legislation be single subject, with clear titles, effectively preventing sneaky riders.  Do you see any potential of a caucus forming around such an idea, or is the current paradigm too deeply entrenched in the culture of both sides of the aisle?

I like it, though legislating is messy so not sure how feasible.  Like watching sausage being made

19 hours ago, Jaded said:

I'll echo this - DFAS debt collections are super fucked up. My debt was easily shown to be incorrect and it still took 6 months to get it back. You pay or they send you to collections. Their communications take 150 days from when you send in an issue and when they answer.

Not to mention the Department of Treasury tacks on a 25% fee to collect the debt which is outrageous in its own regard not mention when the debt is incorrect to begin with.

Edited by Fuzz

Will there be anymore threats to retired veterans who work now as a Federal civil servant over pension issues? Active duty for 23 years and the last two as an WG employee. I came in the VEAP era and was never allowed to join the Montgomery GI bill and barely eligible for the 9/11 bill. Thank God for Tricare!! Always hear leadership trying to come up with plans to degrade our retirements to save a buck. What is the reason my service comp date is only the day  I started as a civilian instead of the first day I enlisted in 1980 since I retired? 

Will there be anymore threats to retired veterans who work now as a Federal civil servant over pension issues? Active duty for 23 years and the last two as an WG employee. I came in the VEAP era and was never allowed to join the Montgomery GI bill and barely eligible for the 9/11 bill. Thank God for Tricare!! Always hear leadership trying to come up with plans to degrade our retirements to save a buck. What is the reason my service comp date is only the day  I started as a civilian instead of the first day I enlisted in 1980 since I retired? 

Federal employees can use Tricare now?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, nsplayr said:

He's retired from AD, now a fed civilian I believe.  Thus, griping about benefit cuts to fed civilians who are veterans but still glad to have tricare from his AD days.  That check @Prosuper?

affirmative

Work/Guard-life question: How often are you able to get in the jet given your hectic schedule? Any trouble getting a good year? Do you even have time to dip into the AFTP bucket? I know the challenge of balancing a non-airline .civ job with the ANG...but you are on a different level. The AFRC -135 unit at ADW able to get you on for a quick 1-1-1 now and then? 

55 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

serious question

how many hot interns are running around DC?

Follow-up - How many have Russian... Eastern European accents?

I actually wonder this as well.  The number of pol's who get caught up in women chasing.

4 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

serious question

how many hot interns are running around DC?

Must be enough to warrant this:

http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/11/lawmakers-vote-against-barring-sexual-contatct-interns/96448914/

" A legislative panel voted down a proposed rule change Wednesday that would have explicitly prevented them from engaging in sexual contact with legislative interns and pages. "

• Upvote 1

Any chance the Pentagon accurately communicates to Congress that 35k is not enough blood money in time for the 2018 NDAA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the article it specifies a range of per square foot costs of office building construction/renovations for the CSprings area. This falls at the high end of the scale, but on the scale nonetheless. For an office area that you would expect to look nice, in a 60 year old building that fits within the normal range, I think they're making a big deal about nothing, honestly.

• Upvote 1

"the cost to construct a commercial building in the region runs between $220 and $260 per square foot. According to the website BuildingJournal.com, average commercial renovation costs in Colorado Springs run about $110 per square foot - about $150 per square foot less than what was spent on Johnson's foyer."

They spent more than what it costs to build a new area from scratch, I agree it would run on the higher end due to the nature of the area but seems excessive, given the comparable costs of other areas on the campus.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot going on in DC.  I like most of what I hear.  However, how do I keep score?

We hear a lot about what the new President and Congress are going to do: Bring back jobs, fix immigration, repeal Obamacare, fix healthcare, etc.

When you look at the news, there is a lot of analysis on the day to day, and who said what to whom.  But, I struggle to understand exactly what the road map looks like for all of these changes, and how far along we are.

Is there some resource on the web that illustrates what concrete steps are being taken to get to the administration's goals?  What bills are being introduced, what bills are passed, what executive orders are being issued, etc?

• 6 months later...
On 1/10/2017 at 4:09 PM, congressman said:

Hey guys, after a little break from Baseops, was checking back in with you all to see what stuff I need to be aware of.  Are there issues out there you think I need to know about or concerns, etc?  Im not going to engage in debates or complaints about votes I have taken, but was curious if there is anything I need to be aware of.  I'm still flying in the guard so I know about many of them, but wanted to see what was up

Feel free to PM if youd rather, cant guarantee Ill be on often but Ill take a look occasionally.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Congressman, first thanks for coming on here and honestly soliciting feedback.  Not many bag wearing pilot types on Capitol hill these days.

It has been mentioned before, but one of the biggest qualms us lowly operator types have is the "do more with less;" whether that is a reduced budget, less flying hours, antiquated equipment, etc.  I've seen numerous mishaps (some unfortunately fatal) where one of the root causes was lack of proficiency.  The worst day of my Air Force career was to see two of my squadron buds crash a perfectly good airplane.  One of the pilots had just deployed out there and had hardly flown the new airplane because of sequestration.  Without making this a red v blue arguement, it boils our blood to see so much money wasted on "foreign aid," social programs etc. only for war fighters to be asked to go to the deepest sh*tholes of the world without the money or resources.  

My old airplane was 1970s made, broke all the time; how the heck are we supposed to go to a real war with ancient equipment?  Not to mention the even older bomber fleet.  How much money have we wasted in the acquisition process of the F-35? We must do better.

Most of us on here love serving our country, would do it again and will continue to do so! We just wish our elected officials would have our backs.  16 years of war takes a toll.

Edited by dream big