Days for Volunteering for a 501c3 Charity

Not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how to get the government to pay you for doing volunteer charity work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I read, which sounded wrong, so I tried to keep my jump to conclusions mat put away. I am curious, though.

On 11/26/2016 at 1:17 PM, Danny Noonin said:

Not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how to get the government to pay you for doing volunteer charity work?

Get the mat out. Exactly what I'm asking. I've heard it happening but can't find any supporting documents to that effect. If the government put more effort into veteran care there wouldn't be a need for charity work but it is what it is and that is another topic.  There are a lot of vets that need our help.

Several squadrons I've been in have done charity work while on orders - community cleanups, toys for tots etc so there is precedent. 

I'll still volunteer regardless, but a few more pay days would give a few more days to help someone else out that really needs support. 

Get the mat out. Exactly what I'm asking. I've heard it happening but can't find any supporting documents to that effect. If the government put more effort into veteran care there wouldn't be a need for charity work but it is what it is and that is another topic.  There are a lot of vets that need our help.
Several squadrons I've been in have done charity work while on orders - community cleanups, toys for tots etc so there is precedent. 
I'll still volunteer regardless, but a few more pay days would give a few more days to help someone else out that really needs support. 

Most of the situations you describe, that I am aware of, are done in conjunction with OCONUS deployments such as the State Partnership Program. All are Humanitarian Assistance projects that the host COCOM funds. The ones I know of here in CONUS were done as part of an Annual Training, most of them by the MDG.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Do you have any specifics on how they were done as an AT?  It would be great to direct some AT towards it if there is any left over days at the end of the year. 

I do not. Check with your MDG, they may have some insight. Ours went out to SD and did some clinics for the Native Americans and to Bulgaria to help some remote villages.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

The med group treating medical problems on actual human beings in actual field conditions is pretty much exactly the kind of thing AT is intended to be used for. Squadrons doing group activity base cleanup or toys for tots over drill weekend is highly questionable.

An individual person trying to be put on status (and get paid) for the stated purpose of doing individual community service off base is most certainly not within the rational bounds of AT or any other mil status. I'd tread carefully.

11 hours ago, Danny Noonin said:

An individual person trying to be put on status (and get paid) for the stated purpose of doing individual community service off base is most certainly not within the rational bounds of AT or any other mil status. I'd tread carefully

Valid. I'm not trying to skirt the rules at all, hence the question. 

1 hour ago, gearpig said:

Why can't you just show up, take a 3 hour lunch, and sit around like a normal Guardsman/Reservist?

BWW's anyone?  Herding cats...

• Upvote 1

The Toys For Tots program is run by the USMC Reserve.  While I was in the other service at Willow Grove, we had USMC Reservists doing ADSW days specifically to work T4T; it was blessed by MARFORRES as an official place of duty for pay purposes.  IIRC, there was always way more ADSW money authorized for T4T than there were Reservists with the availability to use it, at least at Willow Grove.  As part of the AD staff (and later a Reservist with the same unit), every year we were pushed to remind our Reservists that there were paydays available for T4T work.

Not sure how AFRC/NGB would look at that, much less whether the USMCR would allow USAF Reservists/Guardsmen to work "their" program for paydays.  Even with both AFRC and ANG units at Willow Grove at that time, I don't ever recall seeing any of them working T4T.