The Next President is...

disgruntledemployee

On 1/23/2023 at 1:05 PM, nsplayr said:

and if you are not Catholic nor Christian nor religious at all

This is why I was reminding the nav that Catholicism is, in fact, Christianity.  It made a couple of more missteps in that regard in other posts.  No worries.  Just making sure that in spite of an expert Catholic's diatribe, we all understand the landscape.

13 hours ago, filthy_liar said:

That's about the answer i expected.  DFP?  IF?  From a nav turned UAV operator?  Yes, good luck to you also.

You really add absolutely nothing to any conversation you engage in, eh?

• Upvote 2

And on top of that, Ronna got re-elected. The DNC is pure hammered dogshit of the highest caliber, and should be simple to crush. And yet, the RNC is embarrassingly incompetent and living in a fantasy world. The only hope is someone like Desantis or Paul wins the primary, but the GOP establishment is just as corrupt and corrosive as the Dem establishment, so won’t be surprised to watch them “take the competition out” like the Dems did with Tulsi. Fuck! I need a whiskey. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, brabus said:

And on top of that, Ronna got re-elected. The DNC is pure hammered dogshit of the highest caliber, and should be simple to crush. And yet, the RNC is embarrassingly incompetent and living in a fantasy world. The only hope is someone like Desantis or Paul wins the primary, but the GOP establishment is just as corrupt and corrosive as the Dem establishment, so won’t be surprised to watch them “take the competition out” like the Dems did with Tulsi. Fuck! I need a whiskey. 

My biggest concern is that when Trump doesn’t win the Rep primary that he decides to run as an Independent and then in turn splits the Rep ticket.  

This would almost guarantee the Dems to win the 2024 election…

Edited by Tank
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Tank said:

My biggest concern is that when Trump doesn’t win the Rep primary that he decides to run as an Independent and then in turn splits the Rep ticket.  

This would almost guarantee the Dems to win the 2024 election…

Kinda like when Ross Perot kicked off the whole Clinton era back in the 90s. Never would have had an entire generation of bullshit without that guy. I liked him and have usually been a third-party/protest voter, but now I see the cost to such people. Without a different type of voting system in place, we're doomed to two candidates - especially with the way our politics currently operates.

40 minutes ago, nsplayr said:

We absolutely should have preference or ranked-choice voting in every election nationwide. It takes a bit of additional voter education, but it enables more nuanced preferences of the electorate to be expressed.

Couldn’t agree more! Is the moon Blue tonight? 

On 1/29/2023 at 1:47 PM, nsplayr said:

We absolutely should have preference or ranked-choice voting in every election nationwide. It takes a bit of additional voter education, but it enables more nuanced preferences of the electorate to be expressed.

On 1/29/2023 at 11:09 AM, ViperMan said:

Kinda like when Ross Perot kicked off the whole Clinton era back in the 90s. Never would have had an entire generation of bullshit without that guy. I liked him and have usually been a third-party/protest voter, but now I see the cost to such people. Without a different type of voting system in place, we're doomed to two candidates - especially with the way our politics currently operates.

Interestingly, there are a bunch of countries that don't do ranked choice voting but do have multi-party systems (3+).  So it makes you wonder how that came about. I also wonder if 3+ party systems are maybe inherently unstable and over time trend toward 2 party systems as the power gets more consolidated.  The other piece to consider in America is that as the political parties siloed into their two camps, so did the media.  To the point that you had a huge media infrastructure on the left, and on the right, with very little in the middle.

I think a big step in the right direction would be campaign finance reform. Right now the money is so heavily concentrated in the two parties, it's impossible to mount a competitive campaign without party donor backing.  Even Perot, a billionaire who pulled the best independent popular vote numbers ever, barely made the double digit percentages.  

I so desperately want there to be a viable 3rd party, and I think it could arise organically out of the reasonable middle.  But.. I think its far more likely you'd get a viable 3rd party from a full blown schism on one side or the other.  And you can bet whichever party isn't undergoing the schism will have the upper hand for quite a while.  Both extremes of the political spectrum seem to have gone particularly insane these days with the hardcore trumpers on the right and the hardcore wokes on the left, so I feel like the time is ripe for a moderate right or moderate left camp to break off into the middle.

1 hour ago, Pooter said:

Interestingly, there are a bunch of countries that don't do ranked choice voting but do have multi-party systems (3+).  So it makes you wonder how that came about. I also wonder if 3+ party systems are maybe inherently unstable and over time trend toward 2 party systems as the power gets more consolidated.  The other piece to consider in America is that as the political parties siloed into their two camps, so did the media.  To the point that you had a huge media infrastructure on the left, and on the right, with very little in the middle.

I think a big step in the right direction would be campaign finance reform. Right now the money is so heavily concentrated in the two parties, it's impossible to mount a competitive campaign without party donor backing.  Even Perot, a billionaire who pulled the best independent popular vote numbers ever, barely made the double digit percentages.  

I so desperately want there to be a viable 3rd party, and I think it could arise organically out of the reasonable middle.  But.. I think its far more likely you'd get a viable 3rd party from a full blown schism on one side or the other.  And you can bet whichever party isn't undergoing the schism will have the upper hand for quite a while.  Both extremes of the political spectrum seem to have gone particularly insane these days with the hardcore trumpers on the right and the hardcore wokes on the left, so I feel like the time is ripe for a moderate right or moderate left camp to break off into the middle.

In most countries with multi party systems the parties are organized along a single issue. For example the Green party in Germany is solely focused on the environment. They will vote left or right of their chamber, doesn't matter, so matter as they vote for their environmental stances. What ends up happening is you still end up with two larger mega parties that tend to dominate most elections, however, they cannot obtain a quorum without the participation of the smaller single issue parties. So their party leaders approach the smaller party leaders and begin to negotiate stances to form coalitions. In this case, the CDU for instance, might say "hey vote with us on all these issues and we will guarantee these other issues important to you get brought to the floor." 

Its a completely different game and I'm not so sure better than what we have now. 

Edited by FLEA

4 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Retired Air Force intelligence officer had 'hundreds' of classified documents in his Florida home including Top Secret briefs on the NSA's capabilities, feds say

WTF?

Former Presidents, Vice Presidents, Senators and now LtCol Intel types taking TS/SCI home...seriously what are these idiots thinking?

I'm sure they'll all be treated the same way. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2023 at 6:15 AM, ClearedHot said:

Here's what I'm worried about.  Back in 2016 my first question to the GOP was why are there so many candidates in the primary?  Jeb was the first on my hit list.  Is the GOP now a dynasty?  What is he doing on there?  Second one was Trump, because all I knew him from was from the tv show where he ended up saying "You're Fired" to some contestant and he was a liberal New Yorker.  I thought that was absurd.  And so did all of my conservative buddies.  I knew a neuro surgeon or one of the two senators running would get the nomination.  No worries.  Then the GOP started coming unhinged.  

Carson couldn't string together two sentences.  Cruz turned hostile (in the context of presidential debates) and Rubio devolved into personal attacks.  Jeb kinda fell into the "well, that was my dad and grandad that did that, not me" trap.  

So when Trump won, all of my fellow conservatives who just hours ago agreed that Trump was an idiot who should not be representing us suddenly put a cape on him and he was god's gift.  I'm worried that is about to happen again.  Including the 12 GOP primary candidates nonsense.

• Like 1

I hope I'm wrong that Trump won't primary his way in to the general by a hair margin, and then get crushed in the general election by whatever candidate the democrats want to throw up there at this point.  I don't think I'm wrong.  I think the GOP will eff this up again and somehow think Trump "You're Fired" is the correct choice.  And Biden will win a second term.  Hopefully you didn't bite off on the secret files stuff.  If the could survive the laptop stuff, he'll survive this unless the DNC comes out with a deliberate hangman.

The fact that I typed any of that shows how effed the GOP is.  It's Biden.  We have to strategize to get Trump out of the way so we can defeat Biden?  The GOP is ed.

5 hours ago, filthy_liar said:

Jeb kinda fell into the "well, that was my dad and grandad that did that, not me" trap.  

Jeb is too much of a policy wonk to survive in today's politics. No one gives a crap about how you're going to increase the effectiveness of program x by y percent. They want to hear how you'll punish people who think differently and spend money on people who think like them. 

4 hours ago, filthy_liar said:

I hope I'm wrong that Trump won't primary his way in to the general by a hair margin, and then get crushed in the general election by whatever candidate the democrats want to throw up there at this point.  I don't think I'm wrong.  I think the GOP will eff this up again and somehow think Trump "You're Fired" is the correct choice.  And Biden will win a second term.  Hopefully you didn't bite off on the secret files stuff.  If the could survive the laptop stuff, he'll survive this unless the DNC comes out with a deliberate hangman.

The fact that I typed any of that shows how effed the GOP is.  It's Biden.  We have to strategize to get Trump out of the way so we can defeat Biden?  The GOP is ed.

Do you really think it will be Biden? He cannot string two sentences together and clearly has dementia, and his party isn’t necessarily coming to his aid with the classified stuff. 

6 hours ago, filthy_liar said:

Quoted for posterity, because I think you're 100% correct.

• Upvote 1