The Next President is...

disgruntledemployee

14 minutes ago, Biff_T said:

<snip>

Why don't we just ban Twitter?  It's harming so many lives.

<snip>

This question is less rhetorical than it appears.  I am very surprised we don't more idiots (I mean people) demanding a total ban on this very harmful, racist, and xxxphobic platform (now that the radical and violent right wing have control of it).

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Biff_T said:

Democrats are now the party of censorship

And it will only get worse until enough people tell them to GFY in every form of verbal and physical means. A lot of conservatives are pushing for better quality GOP candidates who are more in tune with “the masses;” that’s certainly a real challenge that must be faced cranium on. But holy shit, supporting directly or indirectly the insanity, including widespread censorship and other general fuckery, that the Dems are pushing is throwing gas on a 5 alarm fire. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Biff_T said:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/elon-musk-scorches-media-free-speech-asking-wh-monitor-twitter-messed

Let's make sure we use Federal resources to censor Twitter.   F-ing Twitter.   Democrats are now the party of censorship.  Who would have guessed?   The president and his cabinet are clowns.  Why don't we just ban Twitter?  It's harming so many lives.  People can't live unless Twitter tells them to.   Maybe it's our own fault for letting the internet control our thoughts?   Twitter and majority of social media platforms are the equivalent of high school gossip.  If you can't handle people (who you'll probably never meet) having a different opinion than you without getting the Feds involved, then there's something wrong.   This is obviously an issue because Elon is not playing ball with Joe and the censorship/feelings party.  The irony is they loved this dude a few years ago.  There were and are plenty of smug Tesla drivers everywhere  in  CA.   Now they have to turn their Teslas in because unlce Elon is now a "threat".  I think it's funny to think about them charging their cars at night and having to look at Elon's work in the process.  They have to drive the Telsas around knowing they are supporting Elon "Hitler" Musk.  Lol. Morons 

I wish Tesla would put out an update with some sort of twitter logo on the screen at start up..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Elon is fantastic at what he's good at (launching cool shit into space, promoting cool EVs) and incredibly bad at what he's bad at (running a social media company, being a good dad, being funny, etc.) He has massive Recently Divorced Energy right now and he's just trying to shitpost his way through it after likely unwisely blowing $44b on a bird app worth at best 25% of that, which is not a recommended tactic to say the least. Hey guys, someone who is good at money, is selling $4b of your shares in a great company at the 52-week low a good financial move?? 😆

But I'd still drive a Tesla no questions asked, and FWIW I currently drive a VW EV that's also fantastic! My all-electric Nazi sled will be taking no questions at this time thank you very much. And I use Twitter every day 😅 More people gotta separate the art from the artist if ya know what I mean.

Look, just because R. Kelly pissed on all those girls doesn't mean I have to give up listening to "Ignition (Remix)," that song is still a jam.

You can build a thousand bridges and they won't call you a bridge-builder, but you suck just one dick...

6 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Elon is fantastic at what he's good at (launching cool shit into space, promoting cool EVs) and incredibly bad at what he's bad at (running a social media company, being a good dad, being funny, etc.) He has massive Recently Divorced Energy right now and he's just trying to shitpost his way through it after likely unwisely blowing $44b on a bird app worth at best 25% of that, which is not a recommended tactic to say the least. Hey guys, someone who is good at money, is selling $4b of your shares in a great company at the 52-week low a good financial move?? 😆

But I'd still drive a Tesla no questions asked, and FWIW I currently drive a VW EV that's also fantastic! My all-electric Nazi sled will be taking no questions at this time thank you very much. And I use Twitter every day 😅 More people gotta separate the art from the artist if ya know what I mean.

Look, just because R. Kelly pissed on all those girls doesn't mean I have to give up listening to "Ignition (Remix)," that song is still a jam.

You can build a thousand bridges and they won't call you a bridge-builder, but you suck just one dick...

Here's the thing though. Elon Musk has $190B. Even if Twitter goes Tits up tomorrow and he loses everything, He's still the second richest person in the world, the richest American, and most importantly, still richer than Jeff, Mark and Bill. 

And even if that happens, the worst outcome, at the end of the day--Elon would have been successful at dismantling one of the largest liberal disinformation machines on the planet. 

There isn't a single universe where that all happens and Elon isnt considered winning. 

That said, I don't think it's going to happen that way. Because in the end, Twitter isn't doing as bad as people think. All of tech is hurting bad right now which is kind of obfuscating how much of an effect Elon on his own is having on Twitter. And lots of people still using Twitter, including liberal celebrities who use it to announce they're trading their Tesla's. Vast majority of people are too lazy to try new social media platforms because "bad space man say mean things." 

What's really whacko about this is Elon isn't even conservative, he's very neutral. Dude was out supporting Obama, Clinton and Biden over the last 3 elections. But like so many other moderates the progressive wing of democrats totally threw him on the pyre for even insinuating their narrative of Uber wokeism is even possibly incorrect and now the whole party has attempted to follow.

Edited by FLEA
  • Upvote 1

Look I don’t hate Elon or endorse a lot of the online leftist nonsense, but to say that overpaying ~10x for a social media company, becoming the main character of its discourse every single day, and then shitposting your way through it while having to sell other valuable assets just to cover your new loans is winning…ok. I don’t think Twitter is immanently dying but I also don’t think it’s all that important in the lives of everyday people either!

I would much rather have Elon focus on SpaceX and Tesla where legit great stuff is happening and where he’s done a lot of good. I mean to each his own but…

Jumping face first into the pile of shit that is online social media moderation discourse just doesn’t seem fun or profitable or worth spending your time given the other options on the table for the richest man in the world. 

• Upvote 1

No surprise that this conversation is trying to be steered away from the main issue. 

No one cares or is debating what Elon should be spending his time or money doing or what his best skills are. 

The issue is the blatant hypocrisy of the left and the fact that they now want to sack an individual they used to love because he doesn’t toe their leftist line. The Biden administration wants to investigate Musk as a potential national security threat now due to this Twitter purchase. They of course claim this is “standard procedure”, despite Elon and his companies having in been involved in national security related activities for years now. 

All this is, is proof that the current admin and the leftists supporting it are threatened by anyone and everything that doesn’t support the approved narrative and will stop at nothing to try and shut it down and regain control over their own set of approved “facts”.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

🤷‍♂️ I don’t think anyone here is making any of those arguments. I would drive a Tesla or go to space on a SpaceX rocket, and I use Twitter every day. Certainly not canceling Elon or his companies!

I just think he is a quirky guy with big Recently Divorced Energy that is just stepping on rakes and wasting his time and money with Twitter when he could be doing better stuff. I also don’t support empowering bigots and Nazis to post their vile trash, but I guess then again he owns Twitter and I don’t, so do as you like. The real free speech story of this year is in China and Iran, not on any US internet sites or apps. 

The off-hand remark about “looking into Musk” is silly like you said, he already is launching NSA satellites with his other company!

image.thumb.jpeg.168d16b2b0dacf7170c2cc3ebbe0ac7d.jpeg

Edited by nsplayr

It's funny watching them get bent out of shape over this.   Abortion, guns, trans and Twitter.  That's essentially what they care about.    

Meanwhile, our infrastructure is decaying, there are more homeless people in CA than there are citizens living WY, and I'm a bad guy because I'm Irish/American or otherwise white (everyone else is proud of their pre American heritage so why can't I be?).  

Clowns.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Even before twitter valuations tanked Elon offered hugely over market value to buy the company.  I don't think making money in the short term on twitter was ever part of the plan.  

He's spoken at length numerous times about how he's a free speech absolutist and how important it is for humanity to have a public square that isn't hampered by censorship.  I think Elon genuinely cares about turning twitter into that and he's okay with ad revenue/profits suffering in the near term at the expense of a long-term vision.  

But @nsplayrhas a point.  The dude needs to get out of his own way.  Shitposting 24/7 and rolling out (and then retracting) half-baked features while simultaneously firing 75% of the employees is not how you make sustainable, thoughtful changes in a social media company.  Twitter does need to make *some* money, and the CEO acting like an erratic scatterbrained douche isn't helping keep advertisers around.  

Would the left have tried to de-platform and de-app store twitter regardless of Elon's strategy? Of course.  Their new (actually old) move is to simply claim everything they don't like is a dangerous existential threat, and the simple fact that someone who believes in free speech now runs twitter is "dangerous" to them.  

So maybe it's good Elon came in guns blazing with middle fingers in all directions if the left was going to act the same way regardless.  I just hope the near term financial turmoil of twitter isn't enough to compromise the platform in the long run.  

30 minutes ago, uhhello said:

Lots of billionaires in here with vast experience running social media companies too.  It's awesome.  So much knowledge and insight as to how many workers are required and what needs to be done to sustain/grow the company.  

Doesn't take a billionaire investor galaxy brain to tell that things aren't going swimmingly over at twitter right now.  But you keep telling yourself Elon is playing 4D chess as he posts pictures of handguns on his nightstand as twitter valuation tanks, they roll-out and then immediately retract features, and 14 of the top 50 largest advertisers on the platform pull chocks.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pooter said:

Doesn't take a billionaire investor galaxy brain to tell that things aren't going swimmingly over at twitter right now.  But you keep telling yourself Elon is playing 4D chess as he posts pictures of handguns on his nightstand as twitter valuation tanks, they roll-out and then immediately retract features, and 14 of the top 50 largest advertisers on the platform pull chocks.

Have you ever been a unit that went from oppressive leadership to excellent leadership?  Did it perfectly improve overnight, or was there a transition period?  Of course there's going to be speedbumps.  Go lookup how many spacex rockets blew up or crashed before the first one worked...even a little.  Purchasing Twitter wasn't an impulse buy, but a strategic move.  Hell it might have been REAL virtue signaling.  I'm pretty sure Musk knows what he's doing.  What none of us have right now is the "aha" information from the behind the scenes.  Just wait.

Edited by FourFans130

4 minutes ago, FourFans130 said:

Have you ever been a unit that went from oppressive leadership to excellent leadership?  Did it perfectly improve overnight, or was there a transition period?  Of course there's going to be speedbumps.  Go lookup how many spacex rockets blew up or crashed before the first one worked...even a little.  Purchasing Twitter wasn't an impulse buy, but a strategic move.  Hell it might have been REAL virtue signaling.  I'm pretty sure Musk knows what he's doing.  What none of us have right now is the "aha" information from the behind the scenes.  Just wait.

I hear you man, and I really do support what Elon is trying to do.  I don't think twitter was an impulse buy either.  But that doesn't mean the guy in charge hasn't behaved impulsively since. 

Exhibit A: tweeting conspiracy nonsense about Paul Pelosi hours after a brutal attack.  

Don't get me wrong, the media line that the attacker was some "ultra maga" dude was ballwash from the start too.  But where in the social media CEO handbook does it say you should inject yourself into the public discourse by mean tweeting at an assault victim?  Is this just a natural part of the transition period to excellent leadership?

42 minutes ago, Pooter said:

Is there an article or statement somwhere specifically stating which companies have stopped adverstising?  I'm just saying there has been thousands of "such and such according to so and so" lately.  I'm not taking any sides here.  

I don’t have any special insight but this is extremely googleable: https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2022/11/28/musk-says-apple-cutting-twitter-ads-here-are-the-other-companies-rethinking-their-ties/amp/

And FWIW I don’t know how much it matters or really care who advertises where or how (or if) Twitter makes money. If Elon wants to own it as a hobby and pay a much smaller payroll from his personal funds and call it a day, cool, go for it.

• Upvote 1