The Next President is...

disgruntledemployee

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Zerohedge article pointing out how coverage from the New York Times and CNN has suddenly become critical of Biden within the last week.  It's not hard to believe that the Democratic Party is looking for an exit strategy for Biden, and this is just the beginning of them "softening the beach head" for an eventual Biden bow-out due to "mental health issues" or whatever they decide to call it.

It'll be interesting (in a train-wreck sort of way) to watch.  Age-related cognitive decline gets worse as time goes on.  It does seem like Biden has gotten noticeably worse over the past two years.  I can't imagine what it would be like after another two years, coupled with what's sure to be a bruising reelection campaign.

Looking back, it seems like early-on there was a concerted effort to put Kamala Harris in the public eye.  After several very public stumbles and gaffes of her own, she seemed to disappear into the background.  I wonder if Plan A was to put her out there, and get the public used to seeing her in a position of power.  Once that failed, I wonder if Plan B is to keep her out of the public eye until it's time for Biden to make an early exit due to "mental health issues" or what ever they decide to call it.

Going down that path, would be interesting to see who the Democratic Party pushed to replace Kamala in the VP office.  The 25th Amendment states that "The President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress."  So the Kamala and the Democratic Party chooses the nominee, but it's got to get past what will likely be a Republican House, and potentially a Republican Senate.

For the irony, plz say Trump! What a kerfuffle that would be!!! That’d be cable-news worthy ratings

6 hours ago, Blue said:

Zerohedge article pointing out how coverage from the New York Times and CNN has suddenly become critical of Biden within the last week.  It's not hard to believe that the Democratic Party is looking for an exit strategy for Biden, and this is just the beginning of them "softening the beach head" for an eventual Biden bow-out due to "mental health issues" or whatever they decide to call it.

It'll be interesting (in a train-wreck sort of way) to watch.  Age-related cognitive decline gets worse as time goes on.  It does seem like Biden has gotten noticeably worse over the past two years.  I can't imagine what it would be like after another two years, coupled with what's sure to be a bruising reelection campaign.

Looking back, it seems like early-on there was a concerted effort to put Kamala Harris in the public eye.  After several very public stumbles and gaffes of her own, she seemed to disappear into the background.  I wonder if Plan A was to put her out there, and get the public used to seeing her in a position of power.  Once that failed, I wonder if Plan B is to keep her out of the public eye until it's time for Biden to make an early exit due to "mental health issues" or what ever they decide to call it.

Going down that path, would be interesting to see who the Democratic Party pushed to replace Kamala in the VP office.  The 25th Amendment states that "The President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress."  So the Kamala and the Democratic Party chooses the nominee, but it's got to get past what will likely be a Republican House, and potentially a Republican Senate.

Nodding Nod GIF

If the Dems want a female, they could always go with this guy. 

• Haha 7

13 hours ago, Blue said:

Whaaa? Dude, you’re overthinking things. If the party decides Biden is a liability, they will simply nominate someone else in ‘24. Hopefully they can convince him to simply bow out a’ la Johnson 1968. If not, the fight within the party will be interesting & likely hand the election to the Republican candidate. I think it’s pretty likely at this point he bows out, but a lot can change in 2 years and who knows what the political playing field will look like. If you’re thinking Joe leaves before 2024, I’d say that’s highly unlikely but if he does, Kamala takes the torch for a few months & the same thing happens: she is either talked into bowing out of the race, or the party gets in a fight nominating somebody else. 

Ideally, for the country, I hope Joe decides to get out of the way sooner rather than later so the Dems can identify a viable candidate (Klobuchar? Buttigieg? Whitmer?) & run a coherent campaign. I also hope the Republicans can put forward someone other than Trump. I’d really like to vote FOR someone in 24 rather than against the worst of two bad options. 

Edited by Prozac
Clarity: “convince him TO simply bow out” (vs not to).
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

Whaaa? Dude, you’re overthinking things. If the party decides Biden is a liability, they will simply nominate someone else in ‘24. Hopefully they can convince him not to simply bow out a’ la Johnson 1968. If not, the fight within the party will be interesting & likely hand the election to the Republican candidate. I think it’s pretty likely at this point he bows out, but a lot can change in 2 years and who knows what the political playing field will look like. If you’re thinking Joe leaves before 2024, I’d say that’s highly unlikely but if he does, Kamala takes the torch for a few months & the same thing happens: she is either talked into bowing out of the race, or the party gets in a fight nominating somebody else. 

Ideally, for the country, I hope Joe decides to get out of the way sooner rather than later so the Dems can identify a viable candidate (Klobuchar? Buttigieg? Whitmer?) & run a coherent campaign. I also hope the Republicans can put forward someone other than Trump. I’d really like to vote FOR someone in 24 rather than against the worst of two bad options. 

This mid term pace is destroying him.  He's not going to get better and WILL get worse.   He won't be around by 2024. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Prozac said:

Whaaa? Dude, you’re overthinking things. If the party decides Biden is a liability, they will simply nominate someone else in ‘24. Hopefully they can convince him to simply bow out a’ la Johnson 1968. If not, the fight within the party will be interesting & likely hand the election to the Republican candidate. I think it’s pretty likely at this point he bows out, but a lot can change in 2 years and who knows what the political playing field will look like. If you’re thinking Joe leaves before 2024, I’d say that’s highly unlikely but if he does, Kamala takes the torch for a few months & the same thing happens: she is either talked into bowing out of the race, or the party gets in a fight nominating somebody else. 

When you say viable…

Mayor Pete took two months off of a cabinet position for baby leave when there was a supply chain crisis. A crisis well within his wheelhouse. 

Governor Whitmer is so unpopular she almost got kidnapped during Covid due to her draconian Covid policies. 

Amy? Already a swing and miss. 

The Dems are screwed, plain and simple.  They have no one in the national spotlight that doesn’t come with serious baggage and skeletons. There’s Gavin Newsome but even most moderate dems are tired of California ruining the rest of the country. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dream big said:

The Dems are screwed, plain and simple.  They have no one in the national spotlight that doesn’t come with serious baggage and skeletons. There’s Gavin Newsome but even most moderate dems are tired of California ruining the rest of the country. 

Find me any politician anywhere without baggage and skeletons.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Gavin in it in two years.  He's got charisma and tactical prowess...though he does suffer a terrible track record.  It all depends on how the next two years shake out after the upset over the cheating/election denial ends post 2022 elections.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dream big said:

When you say viable…

Mayor Pete took two months off of a cabinet position for baby leave when there was a supply chain crisis. A crisis well within his wheelhouse. 

Governor Whitmer is so unpopular she almost got kidnapped during Covid due to her draconian Covid policies. 

Amy? Already a swing and miss. 

Uh huh. And any Democrat can come up with 69 reasons each why DeSantis, Scott, or Haley is “unelectable”. The constant barrage of “The other party will wither on the vine! Total victory will be ours soon! Republicans (or Democrats) forever! Yaaayyyy!” is dumb. Everyone on all sides needs to stop buying into it. Here’s a prediction for you: Republicans will take majorities in congress tomorrow. After a few years, people will realize Rs are screwing them just as bad as the Ds were and there’ll be a “blue wave”. Wash, rinse, repeat. The sooner we stop acting like nine year olds & figure our the other side isn’t going away & that this isn’t a zero sum game, the better off we’ll all be. Accepting that the other side has it’s own valid positions & figuring out where we can work together is our only option for not just success, but survival. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Generally agree with Prozac above. Though currently the dem party is way further off the rails than the GOP; they’re actions, policies, and words are not defensible in any rational way. But to Prozac’s point, in no way does that mean it couldn’t be the GOP way off the rails in X years. The zero sum game ideology is crushing us. 

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 2

The problem is people are subscribing to a party and not to an ideology that belongs to themselves personally. The parties will always adjust ideology. They are not stagnant. Political parties are political organizations, and like all political organizations their singular motivation is the conglomeration of power--in this sense, by subscribing the largest electorate possible to attain their ends. What this means is, with any political issue, as soon as the party's platform on the issue becomes unpopular, they will move their platform into a position it becomes popular again. 

We as Americans, will work together better if we recognize that and instead of identifying as Republicans or Democrats, identify our own values. I have no problem saying I'm pro-life, pro-gun but also think we need a more robust social welfare system to help people in the trenches and some comprehensive criminal justice reform. These things make me incredibly unpopular on both sides and I don't care, because I have my own values and my own morals and I'm going to advocate those, I'm not going to advocate a party. 

But far too often we see people who subscribe to their party and it becomes an "us versus them" mindset. As the party's position changes their position changes as well because its not about values anymore, its about winning and losing and supporting your team. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prozac said:

Uh huh. And any Democrat can come up with 69 reasons each why DeSantis, Scott, or Haley is “unelectable”. The constant barrage of “The other party will wither on the vine! Total victory will be ours soon! Republicans (or Democrats) forever! Yaaayyyy!” is dumb. Everyone on all sides needs to stop buying into it. Here’s a prediction for you: Republicans will take majorities in congress tomorrow. After a few years, people will realize Rs are screwing them just as bad as the Ds were and there’ll be a “blue wave”. Wash, rinse, repeat. The sooner we stop acting like nine year olds & figure our the other side isn’t going away & that this isn’t a zero sum game, the better off we’ll all be. Accepting that the other side has it’s own valid positions & figuring out where we can work together is our only option for not just success, but survival. 

There are absolutely crazies in the R side and many of them are also screwing the American people. However, the fringe elements of the R side are not mainstream, their actions aren’t covered up by the mainstream media, and they constitute a minority of the party. On the D side, we are seeing the fringe philosophy become more mainstream and the media will blatantly hide it. 

You know I would love to see more Rs try to work with the dems and meet common ground. However, that’s hard to do when you have someone like our sitting VPOTUS threatening to “go after” Trump supporters after the 2020 election, or Maxine Watters telling her supporters to find Trump supporters in restaurants and other public places and scream them out. While similar rhetoric exists on the other side, it’s not nearly as large in scope nor as threatening. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dream big said:

There are absolutely crazies in the R side and many of them are also screwing the American people. However, the fringe elements of the R side are not mainstream, their actions aren’t covered up by the mainstream media, and they constitute a minority of the party. On the D side, we are seeing the fringe philosophy become more mainstream and the media will blatantly hide it. 

You know I would love to see more Rs try to work with the dems and meet common ground. However, that’s hard to do when you have someone like our sitting VPOTUS threatening to “go after” Trump supporters after the 2020 election, or Maxine Watters telling her supporters to find Trump supporters in restaurants and other public places and scream them out. While similar rhetoric exists on the other side, it’s not nearly as large in scope nor as threatening. 

I think we agree in principal, but many of us are only too happy to wear blinders. Republicans nominated and then elected as President of the United States an individual who as late as 2015 was considered an extreme outlier and frankly, a joke. They have Marjorie Taylor Greene, and Lauren Boebert in congress, both complete whackos. There’s a good chance they’ll elect a flat earther, abortion slinging, hit in the head way too many times, former running back to congress tomorrow. Some of the most extreme voices in media today are on the right (see: Alex Jones). I’m not denying that there are radical libs, but suggesting that one side is better than the other misses the point entirely. We’re all too quick to gloss over our own warts so we can demonize the other side. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, FLEA said:

We as Americans, will work together better if we recognize that and instead of identifying as Republicans or Democrats, identify our own values. I have no problem saying I'm pro-life, pro-gun but also think we need a more robust social welfare system to help people in the trenches and some comprehensive criminal justice reform. These things make me incredibly unpopular on both sides and I don't care, because I have my own values and my own morals and I'm going to advocate those, I'm not going to advocate a party.

I agree, but is that going to work in a two party system that is more polarized every day? I don't understand how to disrupt the system so that what you typed above is actually a legit approach.  Trump tried it, or at least campaigned that he was going to do it - massive, massive fail. His policies were in my opinion a huge win, but the rest of his presidency further polarized Americans.

The question becomes, when you aren't advocating a party (there's realistically only two), how are you going to change anything?  That's where I'm lost in our political system.  I don't want either of these trainwreck parties.  Where does that leave me?

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2022 at 6:01 PM, Prozac said:

Klobuchar/Buttigieg/Whitmer as viable candidates? I don't agree there. I agree with criminal justice reform and might could get on board with the New Call to Service plan as long as it didn't hinge on climate change, but they all get pretty woke after that.

Agree with your statement about Trump.  Republicans can't seem to figure out the easy stuff that conservatives have made clear:  get Trump out, put DeSantis in.  Makes me wonder if that party is not really about conservativism, and the Democratic party makes me wonder if they aren't really about being progressive.  

Maybe, just maybe the system that has evolved in Washington is about making the holders of office wealthy.  You vote a dem ticket and I vote a rep ticket.  Afterwards, maybe we pay higher prices at the pump.  Or maybe we get a tax decrease.  Peanuts, really.  Even less so for lower income folks.  You think any of them have been lifted out of poverty by either of these parties? I don't own three mansions and I'm not a multi millionaire.  And you're probably not either.  But they do, and they are.

16 minutes ago, filthy_liar said:

You think any of them have been lifted out of poverty by either of these parties? I don't own three mansions and I'm not a multi millionaire.  And you're probably not either.  But they do, and they are.

Agree. There are good people in both parties though, particularly at the grassroots level. We’re never all going to agree but you can participate at the local levels & seek out the good ones in whatever party you feel suits you better. I’ll do the same in my community. We should all also make an effort to consume less media and have more conversations. I really can’t stand Donald Trump. But I really like my Republican friends and have some great conversations with them. Extremist media is wrong to demonize swaths of this country because they vote a certain way. We need to agree as a nation to stop painting half the country with the same broad brush we use to identify & ridicule the most extreme elements of each party. We also need to recognize that people may vote for a candidate we find repugnant simply for lack of other options. I didn’t like Hillary but I wasn’t about to vote for trump. I imagine the feeling was mutual for many on the other side. 

5 minutes ago, Prozac said:

Agree. There are good people in both parties though, particularly at the grassroots level. We’re never all going to agree but you can participate at the local levels & seek out the good ones in whatever party you feel suits you better. I’ll do the same in my community. We should all also make an effort to consume less media and have more conversations. I really can’t stand Donald Trump. But I really like my Republican friends and have some great conversations with them. Extremist media is wrong to demonize swaths of this country because they vote a certain way. We need to agree as a nation to stop painting half the country with the same broad brush we use to identify & ridicule the most extreme elements of each party. We also need to recognize that people may vote for a candidate we find repugnant simply for lack of other options. I didn’t like Hillary but I wasn’t about to vote for trump. I imagine the feeling was mutual for many on the other side. 

Concur.  But does grassroots matter?  It certainly matters in the neighborhood, but does it matter at the national ballot?  I'm a conservative.  I live out in the sticks, don't consume a lot of media except when I show up to work every morning on an Army/NASA installation.  So I'm exposed to it.  There are no grassroots movements that matter at the ballot, hence, the two party system.  I don't see an end to it.

1 hour ago, filthy_liar said:

Concur.  But does grassroots matter?  It certainly matters in the neighborhood, but does it matter at the national ballot?  I'm a conservative.  I live out in the sticks, don't consume a lot of media except when I show up to work every morning on an Army/NASA installation.  So I'm exposed to it.  There are no grassroots movements that matter at the ballot, hence, the two party system.  I don't see an end to it.

They matter at the local level which honestly probably affects most of us as much or more than national level politics. And it plants the seeds for the future. School board members might be empowered to run for state office & then national races later on. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Prozac said:

They matter at the local level which honestly probably affects most of us as much or more than national level politics. And it plants the seeds for the future. School board members might be empowered to run for state office & then national races later on.

Agree, but have you seen the train wreck at the school system?  Everyone says local this and local that, but our voice isn't being heard in the school system.  And before you call me a redneck hillbilly Prozac, not that you would, at the local level, no voices are being heard.  They call a vote, the ayes say aye and the nay say nay and afterwards the ayes and nays get together and say wtf?  That's not what we voted on.  And some rich strolls on stage and thanks everyone for coming out. That's the school system

Local level is where you get the most bang for your buck. The public school system is a disaster - but it’s a good example of something local that regular people need to step up and run for. We have to rid our local boards, councils, etc. of all the shitty people. If we don’t, we get exactly what we deserve. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, brabus said:

Local level is where you get the most bang for your buck. The public school system is a disaster - but it’s a good example of something local that regular people need to step up and run for. We have to rid our local boards, councils, etc. of all the shitty people. If we don’t, we get exactly what we deserve. 

Finding state DOE is where the controls are though.  Most stuff is mandated by DOE at State.  You can decide to not do X but you'll lose X funding for not doing it.  It sucks.  

1 hour ago, GrndPndr said:

Is Kamala loyal enough to her party to quit if asked by them?  Then Uncle Joe nominates someone to replace her - then he quits.

Then we really have someone running things, who no one voted for.

It’s happened before, and not that long ago. Reference Gerald Ford. 

My final prediction:

GOP: 52 Senate seats, 241 seats in the House (that might be a little high).  For competitive Gov races, GOP wins KS, WI, NV, and AZ.  They “might” win OR, but I’d say no.  I think NY will be close, but GOP won’t win.

Assuming my predictions are correct, when will Biden/left say that democracy is over?  Since that’s what they told us if the Dems lose.