The Next President is...

disgruntledemployee

1 hour ago, M2 said:

Hopefully "The Donald" will be smart enough to stay under the radar this time and no longer divide the Republicans...

On that we agree. I wouldn’t expect him to ever be “smart enough” do do anything other than put himself first though. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BeerMan said:

CH I get it and I'm mostly with you but I wouldn't want Trump as my SQ, GP, WG/CC, etc. Leadership matters.

Concur...I don't like Trump and would not want him as a boss, I truly hope he doesn't run again.  That being said, was all of this damage worth it? 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Prozac said:

Careful counting your chickens before they roost. Lots of Dems were thinking the same thing in 2016. 

As did the Republicans in 2020, and while that election still has considerable stink associated with it, it's not worth arguing about anymore!

Conspiracy theories aside, I believe Trump was his own worst enemy far more so than Biden being a viable alternative, and time has proven me correct.  Had he stood on his accomplishments, and parked his ego in the corner for a while (yes, I realize that's an impossible task for him), he would/should have won re-election by a landslide. 

I still cannot fathom what anyone saw in Biden, he stayed out of view as much as possible during the run up and let Trump put a noose around his own neck (probably the best strategy he could have used). 

Personalities aside, there is no way anyone will convince me that Biden is a better president than Trump.  For all is faults, Trump did get the economy going in the right direction and put this country's best interests before others.  The current administration seems hell bent on sending it into the toilet!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, M2 said:

Trump was his own worst enemy far more so than Biden being a viable alternative, and time has proven me correct.  Had he stood on his accomplishments, and parked his ego in the corner for a while (yes, I realize that's an impossible task for him), he would/should have won re-election by a landslide.

I saw the first Presidential Debate (Sept 29th, 2020) as a prime example of this.  Trump could have "parked his ego in the corner" and just let Biden run his mouth.  Biden has historically been a poor performer at debates, normally providing a steady stream of verbal gaffes.

Instead, Trump came in with both guns blazing, all all Biden had to do was sit back and watch the night implode.

Still shake my head at that whole debate.

7 hours ago, M2 said:

Conspiracy theories aside, I believe Trump was his own worst enemy far more so than Biden being a viable alternative, and time has proven me correct.  Had he stood on his accomplishments, and parked his ego in the corner for a while (yes, I realize that's an impossible task for him), he would/should have won re-election by a landslide. 

Bill Barr has quite a good take on the whole Trump phenomenon and the end of his presidency. I didn't know what a statesmen he was.

https://www.hoover.org/research/more-one-damn-thing-bill-barr

7 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Joe can't handle stairs or a bike but his finger is on the button.  Who is really running the country?

Damn stairs...

Stupid bike...

Those darn stairs again...

I’ve been asking the same damn question, it sure as hell isn’t Crackles. 

On 6/18/2022 at 4:37 AM, Danger41 said:

I’d take W as a CC. Probably would have pretty wild roll calls and a good party atmosphere.

He did a gala for my wife’s company, he was a total bro. Politics aside I love how committed he is to wounded veterans and helping them rehabilitate. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, ecugringo said:

All that money Germany invested in Green energy appears to be wasted.  Going back to coal!

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/20/ukraine-war-germany-turns-to-coal-as-russia-throttles-gas-supplies.html

More like they foolishly shut down half of their nuclear plants shortly before deciding to finally get off russian gas. Seems unwise! Meanwhile France gets 70% of its electricity from nuclear...all carbon-free!

FWIW while I'm a strong supporter of renewables (solar/wind/hydro/geothermal), I'm also a strong supporter of nuclear. Steady nuclear with peaky renewables are really an excellent pair if you wanted to design a sustainable fuel mix for electricity.

All until we crack the nut on fission, then it's game over for anything else. The power of the sun, in the palm of my hand!

Edited by nsplayr
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, dream big said:

He did a gala for my wife’s company, he was a total bro. Politics aside I love how committed he is to wounded veterans and helping them rehabilitate. 

Agreed. I would 100% have a beer with him & his work with veterans is commendable.

On 6/17/2022 at 10:48 PM, M2 said:

Honestly, after 18 months in office, tell me one "success" the Biden Administration has achieved.  Just one.  I'll wait.

I'm not super into debating politics around here anymore (haha), but to help fill in the gap of the other ~50% of the country tends to think compared to what you typically read on BO.net:

1. Unemployment under Biden is down about 2.5% from when Trump left office, and is basically tied with the record low unemployment we saw under Trump in Jan 2020. More jobs is good!
  2. The strong allied response re: sanctions & war materials supporting Ukraine and opposing the Russian invasion.
  3. Going from 1.1% of the US population vaccinated against COVID to 67.4%. The vaccine development under Trump admin was a highlight for me and the distribution under Biden admin is similarly important. At this point everyone who wants one can get one and dying from COVID-19 is relatively optional for all but the most elderly and/or vulnerable.
  4. Almost forgot, but the bipartisan infrastructure bill was good and long-overdue. Biden actually got this done where several previous admins had talked about it and failed to get something across the line.

Obviously there are counter-points to what I wrote above, different interpretations of what happened, and other prevailing factors that influenced those "successes" I mentioned. Copy, cool. I can understand why if you're a conservative you will never like a Dem administration much, fair point. No need to @ me and stir the pot on any of these points.

I do think the GOP will win seats in Congress in 2022 and the WH in 2024, which is utterly predictable given Dem congressional control since 2018 and the Dem presidential win last time. It would be unusual to have 2x 1-term Presidents in a row but I guess we'll see. The advanced age of both Trump and Biden is a factor there I think & will be even more so an issue in 2024 if it's those two facing off again. I am a big proponent of an age ceiling (70?) so long as we accept an age floor of 25 for Congress and 35 for being President.

Personally I'm rooting for DeSantis on the GOP side in a theoretical 2024 primary. I think he's the only one who might be able to be Trumpy enough to win but not actually be named Donald Trump. There are lots of Republicans I as a Democrat like better, but none of them can win, so I'll settle for him over Trump. I imagine some of y'all should have felt the same way about Biden vice someone like Sanders or Warren based on policies more than personalities.

Policies aside, Trump's negative personal characteristics and opposition to a peaceful & lawful transfer of power after taking a valid electoral loss is disqualifying to me beyond any policy disagreements.

IMHO Republicans can get all the policies of Trump with a more normal, less dangerous leader in DeSantis. DeSantis/Crenshaw or DeSantis/Haley or some such arrangement, the GOP has plenty of bench strength beyond one or two families.

I'm curious to see if that matters at all or if what GOP primary voters really want is the Trump id or "vibes" as the kids say now and perhaps they don't care one lick about policies...after everything I'm more and more in that camp TBH.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, nsplayr said:

I'm not super into debating politics around here anymore (haha), but to help fill in the gap of the other ~50% of the country tends to think compared to what you typically read on BO.net:

1. Unemployment under Biden is down about 2.5% from when Trump left office, and is basically tied with the record low unemployment we saw under Trump in Jan 2020. More jobs is good!
  2. The strong allied response re: sanctions & war materials supporting Ukraine and opposing the Russian invasion.
  3. Going from 1.1% of the US population vaccinated against COVID to 67.4%. The vaccine development under Trump admin was a highlight for me and the distribution under Biden admin is similarly important. At this point everyone who wants one can get one and dying from COVID-19 is relatively optional for all but the most elderly and/or vulnerable.
  4. Almost forgot, but the bipartisan infrastructure bill was good and long-overdue. Biden actually got this done where several previous admins had talked about it and failed to get something across the line.

Obviously there are counter-points to what I wrote above, different interpretations of what happened, and other prevailing factors that influenced those "successes" I mentioned. Copy, cool. I can understand why if you're a conservative you will never like a Dem administration much, fair point. No need to @ me and stir the pot on any of these points.

I do think the GOP will win seats in Congress in 2022 and the WH in 2024, which is utterly predictable given Dem congressional control since 2018 and the Dem presidential win last time. It would be unusual to have 2x 1-term Presidents in a row but I guess we'll see. The advanced age of both Trump and Biden is a factor there I think & will be even more so an issue in 2024 if it's those two facing off again. I am a big proponent of an age ceiling (70?) so long as we accept an age floor of 25 for Congress and 35 for being President.

Personally I'm rooting for DeSantis on the GOP side in a theoretical 2024 primary. I think he's the only one who might be able to be Trumpy enough to win but not actually be named Donald Trump. There are lots of Republicans I as a Democrat like better, but none of them can win, so I'll settle for him over Trump. I imagine some of y'all should have felt the same way about Biden vice someone like Sanders or Warren based on policies more than personalities.

Policies aside, Trump's negative personal characteristics and opposition to a peaceful & lawful transfer of power after taking a valid electoral loss is disqualifying to me beyond any policy disagreements.

IMHO Republicans can get all the policies of Trump with a more normal, less dangerous leader in DeSantis. DeSantis/Crenshaw or DeSantis/Haley or some such arrangement, the GOP has plenty of bench strength beyond one or two families.

I'm curious to see if that matters at all or if what GOP primary voters really want is the Trump id or "vibes" as the kids say now and perhaps they don't care one lick about policies...after everything I'm more and more in that camp TBH.

1- Unemployment, these were jobs we got back from Covid losses so they aren’t specifically “new jobs”, crediting Biden with that is disingenuous.

2-Ukraine support- mostly NATO led, which isn’t a bad thing.  I’m sure Biden gets briefed when he’s awake.  There are still serious issues and way forward strategy in terms of our response that I won’t discuss here.

3- Biden had a mandatory vaccine policy for the GOV; if you are for the vaccine mandate for government workers  and are praising the rise in numbers, then sure I guess?… but not sure how much he affected the rest of the population? 

4- Devil is in the details and execution.  Let’s reevaluate in a year. 

100% agree with you with regards to DeSantis vis a vis Trump.  We get Trump’s policies without the drama, theoretically.  Trump’s behavior after the election was an embarrassment.  Had he walked away in grace he would still be held as an icon by half the population.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Same here but the lead dog at this point rarely winds the race.  He has done some great things here and I think he can do the job without being a giant narcissistic douche canoe.  Sanders/Warren could have been catastrophic.  For the record, I don't want EITHER party to have so much power that they can pass straight party line legislation.  I prefer we stay in the middle and SLOWLY agree on change. 

Concur, but his negative personality traits will likely prevent him from stepping to the side for the good of his party and the country.  I also think Biden should be disqualified.  The suppression of the Hunter Laptop is in my opinion hiding some corruption, but the bigger issue is his mental decline.  It is obvious and very concerning.

DeSantis/Haley would seem the most powerful option and I think they would do good things.  Both are highly intelligent and seem to make choices that match their beliefs not their politics. 

We are seeing a new generational gap.  Think about the last 50 years where the WWII generation shaped politics as the boomers grew up.  Living through a world war gave folks great perspective.  The current generation has their face buried in a cell phone and is beyond entitled.  For them, war (GWOT/ISIS/Ukraine), is a normalized thing that is FAR away and does not impact their daily life.  They see occasional snippets but it doesn't interfere with their insta selfie while holding a venti vanilla sweet cream cold brew with three pumps of vanilla, three pumps of caramel syrup, one pump of cinnamon dolce syrup, three pumps of hazelnut, two pumps of toffee nut syrup, two pumps of mocha, two pumps of white mocha, eight pumps of pumpkin sauce, three pumps of maple pecan syrup, and five shots of espresso.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

They see occasional snippets but it doesn't interfere with their insta selfie while holding a venti vanilla sweet cream cold brew with three pumps of vanilla, three pumps of caramel syrup, one pump of cinnamon dolce syrup, three pumps of hazelnut, two pumps of toffee nut syrup, two pumps of mocha, two pumps of white mocha, eight pumps of pumpkin sauce, three pumps of maple pecan syrup, and five shots of espresso.

and can I have that about 115 degrees, no make that 120 degrees

21 hours ago, nsplayr said:

More like they foolishly shut down half of their nuclear plants shortly before deciding to finally get off russian gas. Seems unwise! Meanwhile France gets 70% of its electricity from nuclear...all carbon-free!

FWIW while I'm a strong supporter of renewables (solar/wind/hydro/geothermal), I'm also a strong supporter of nuclear. Steady nuclear with peaky renewables are really an excellent pair if you wanted to design a sustainable fuel mix for electricity.

All until we crack the nut on fission, then it's game over for anything else. The power of the sun, in the palm of my hand!

I think this just shows that an advanced country like Germany is still primarily dependent on Gas for their energy needs.  Even Nukes didn't supply 100% power.  The Nordstream Gas Line was to go directly to Germany to fill their energy needs.  Yeah they have Solar Panels everywhere and some wind farms but the reality is they still are dependent on Gas and were nowhere close to replacing it.

3 hours ago, ecugringo said:

I think this just shows that an advanced country like Germany is still primarily dependent on Gas for their energy needs.  Even Nukes didn't supply 100% power.  The Nordstream Gas Line was to go directly to Germany to fill their energy needs.  Yeah they have Solar Panels everywhere and some wind farms but the reality is they still are dependent on Gas and were nowhere close to replacing it.

Nuclear power would have supplied a lot more if Germany hadn't closed a bunch of plants. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-01-25/what-the-u-s-can-learn-from-germany-s-nuclear-power-plant-shutdowns#:~:text=At the end of 2021,in the next few years.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

The current generation has their face buried in a cell phone and is beyond entitled.  For them, war (GWOT/ISIS/Ukraine), is a normalized thing that is FAR away and does not impact their daily life. 

Agree 100% but let’s not forget that, for the most part, the boomers have been equally ignorant and obtuse. The ultimate “me” generation’s attitude of “I got mine” has laid landmines for successive generations throughout their time in power. Is it any wonder that the millennials and younger gens feel disillusioned and shafted? Why should they care if they’ve been more or less shut out of participating in the economy and politics anyway? If we want them to look up from their phones and off of mom’s couch, we need to listen to their issues and take them seriously. Instead, they watch us fight over petty cultural issues and shake their heads as their future slides further and further out of reach. 

• Upvote 4

On 6/12/2022 at 8:33 AM, Negatory said:

The bottom line is that neoliberal economic policy, which both parties fully support, is driving us off a cliff. Unlimited economic growth in a limited society (actually approaching contracting) isn’t possible. It’s time to raise the interest rates to 6-9% and deal with our poor decisions we have made thinking we could avoid natural economic cycles. The real marker in failure economically was October 2019 when the government saw that quantitative tightening (the right call) made the stock market go down and abandoned all logic to maintain the illusion of a green DJIA. Then COVID happened and the whole of US government lost their collective minds.

Shack. 

7 hours ago, Prozac said:

Agree 100% but let’s not forget that, for the most part, the boomers have been equally ignorant and obtuse. The ultimate “me” generation’s attitude of “I got mine” has laid landmines for successive generations throughout their time in power. Is it any wonder that the millennials and younger gens feel disillusioned and shafted? Why should they care if they’ve been more or less shut out of participating in the economy and politics anyway? If we want them to look up from their phones and off of mom’s couch, we need to listen to their issues and take them seriously. Instead, they watch us fight over petty cultural issues and shake their heads as their future slides further and further out of reach. 

So the boomer generation is the root cause problem that this country faces? Is that what you're saying? 

"The ultimate 'me' generation..." Wow.

What are the millennials' issues? I'm one so I'd like to hear your thoughts. 

• Upvote 2