The Next President is...

disgruntledemployee

So Biden had another senior moment yesterday when confronted by a union worker who was pro-2nd Amendment and had his facts together to challenge Biden on his position on guns AND his public statements regarding same.

Besides cussing at the voter, Joe asks if "he wants to go outside" while having a finger in the guys face.

Wonder how the press would react if someone accepts the old man's challenge.

Won't actually be a physical altercation, but just the acceptance would really put Biden in a jam that the media would be hard-pressed to spin away.

edited to add:

A little judge on judge action. (For the liberals, don't turn your nose up because it's Fox.  Strangely, given the topic, I assumed the liberal media would be all over it.)

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/disorder-in-the-courts-federal-judge-blasts-justice-roberts

Not sure how blatant disrespect is treated in the judiciary.  Be interesting to see if there's consequences.  And a lesson learned about "there are no Obama judges, no Bush judges," etc.

Edited by brickhistory

7 hours ago, Homestar said:

Maybe a democrat can help me understand....why is it that the DNC doesn't realize that (it seems to me) Tulsi Gabbard is the one candidate remaining that could actually go toe to toe with Trump and come out winning?  Why is the DNC railroading her when she'd clearly get traditional swing voters and likely many never-trumpers?  Is the Sanders/Biden machine really that strong?

Democrats don't care for Tulsi because she is not a democrat.  The big criticism from the left against Biden is that he is too centrist which is why Bernie is doing so well.  Tulsi is well right of Biden...so of course she isn't going to do well.  Why do you think every republican loves her?  Because she's actually pretty conservative in her views and has a pretty poor history for a politician on the democrat ticket in 2020.  If you republicans love her so much why don't you put her on your ticket?

8 hours ago, Homestar said:

Maybe a democrat can help me understand....why is it that the DNC doesn't realize that (it seems to me) Tulsi Gabbard is the one candidate remaining that could actually go toe to toe with Trump and come out winning?  Why is the DNC railroading her when she'd clearly get traditional swing voters and likely many never-trumpers?  Is the Sanders/Biden machine really that strong?

Tulsi polls around 2% so yea...stop trying to make Tulsi happen. It's not some secret conspiracy, she is just not popular. The DNC does not pick the party's candidate any more than the RNC picked Trump; the voters decide. In 2016 the GOP primary voters chose Trump against the wishes of many in the party, and in 2020 Dem primary voters decisively did not choose Tulsi.

34 minutes ago, drewpey said:

The big criticism from the left against Biden is that he is too centrist which is why Bernie is doing so well. 

I will quibble with this in that Bernie is doing significantly worse than he did in 2016 and this nomination is over.

Bernie does poll very well among "younger" voters, which I mean people under 50, but they don't vote nearly enough to outweigh the preferences of older voters. Many of Bernie's ideas poll well in the Democratic Party and the party has moved somewhat to the left ideologically compared to the Obama presidency, but Bernie never succeeded at expanding his coalition from 2016 and in fact lost over half of it 4 years later when other candidates not named "Clinton" were available to choose from.

Due to tornado damage where I live, I waited > 2 hours in line to vote in my state's Super Tuesday primary. The old lady in front of me waited the same 2+ hours...to vote in the GOP primary that is not even remotely competitive! That's a hell of a commitment to voting and good on her.

Barring some kind of black swan even in the primary, Biden will face Trump in November, and it's because his coalition within the party (older people, African Americans, etc.) actually votes.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Like 1

I just wish you guys would put up a candidate that has a fighting chance against Trump. Maybe Biden does. But he’s going to look like an amateur in any debate against Trump. 

At least it appears you’re not going full-retard in nominating Sanders, and for that we thank you. 

39 minutes ago, Homestar said:

I just wish you guys would put up a candidate that has a fighting chance against Trump. Maybe Biden does. But he’s going to look like an amateur in any debate against Trump. 

Wait, are you talking about the same Trump that orated this gem? The man can barely finish a sentence. 

“Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is so powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us, this is horrible.”

• Haha 1

nsplayr, you used a phrasing I’ve commonly heard: that Bernie didn’t expand his coalition (similar to some media articles that he didn’t shift to attract wider coalition)

He’s genuinely not interested in moving his platform to what the electorate wants. He thinks the electorate should flex to his platform. And that’s a fatal flaw. 

• Upvote 1

The democrats are hell bent on keeping Trump as POTUS. I can't believe they are dicking this up again so badly, but they continue to slide further and further left and can't help themselves. Welcome to 4 more years of the "orange man". He wasn't my pick, but I'll take him again any day over the dems top two.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Waingro said:

Wait, are you talking about the same Trump that orated this gem? The man can barely finish a sentence. 

“Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is so powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us, this is horrible.”

Indeed.

He's no Winston Churchill.

But more importantly, he's no Hillary Clinton.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Waingro said:

Oh, I’m with you. He is not word-smart. But he’s going to wipe the floor with Joe “you-know-the-thing” Biden. And I happen to really like Joe Biden. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/11/2020 at 7:16 PM, drewpey said:

If you republicans love her so much why don't you put her on your ticket?

Because we have “The Donald!”

I definitely would have leaned towards her from the other side of the fence, but this next debate will be about one pushing entitlements with no real cost numbers declared and the other will likely fold into a push-up challenge. It’s about time we witness the cognitive abilities one on one with no distractor conditions looming about. Popcorns ready!

Just more material for Mr. T and he will not pity the fool!

I will send in my AR-14 if/when I could ever find it. Let Beto know he doesn’t need to waste his time nor mine.

7 hours ago, torqued said:

I'll throw this out there: Neither one makes it until November.

The VP position is what concerns me. Let’s say either Bernie or Joe does pull it off in Nov and they have their puppet masters pulling their strings like so many others (either party) who have held the position in years past, OR it’s not too far fetched a VP would eventually move up in seniority as needed/required.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747

Right now, Trump wins in a landslide. However, things are going to change rapidly when the tidal wave of unemployment hits and Trump is forced to bail out banks and corporations while the public gets federal payroll tax relief... if they have a job. 

Between now and the election, everyone will know someone that either got infected, lost their job, or lost half their life savings. We're in for some dark times. Not many will be saying, "Well, at least it's better than Biden."

13 minutes ago, torqued said:

Right now, Trump wins in a landslide. However, things are going to change rapidly when the tidal wave of unemployment hits and Trump is forced to bail out banks and corporations while the public gets federal payroll tax relief... if they have a job. 

Between now and the election, everyone will know someone that either got infected, lost their job, or lost half their life savings. We're in for some dark times. Not many will be saying, "Well, at least it's better than Biden."

If I'm on Trump's campaign team...I pivot from the economy to talking about how great the reduction in carbon emissions has been in 2020 and how committed my administration is in fighting climate change.  Obama never managed such a rapid reduction in pollution during his eight years in the office.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

On 3/11/2020 at 9:21 PM, SurelySerious said:

nsplayr, you used a phrasing I’ve commonly heard: that Bernie didn’t expand his coalition (similar to some media articles that he didn’t shift to attract wider coalition)

He’s genuinely not interested in moving his platform to what the electorate wants. He thinks the electorate should flex to his platform. And that’s a fatal flaw. 

He had a theory of the case, and that theory was the mass-mobilization of younger people. Bernie's policies and Bernie as a candidate poll very well among "younger" voters, i.e. anyone under 50, but surprise surprise, those people don't vote at high rates. Bernie did somewhat expand the gender and racial makeup of his base of supporters vs 2016 but it wasn't enough to overcome the very rapid consolidation in the more moderate lane of the party.

In short, his strategy was similar to the Trump 2016 strategy: turn out people who don't usually vote and hope that "the establishment" stays fractured. Unfortunately for him on both counts, the Democratic "establishment" coalesced historically fast right before the biggest day on the primary calendar, and during high-turnout primaries, the new or infrequent voters who showed up chose to support Biden.

Bernie is a politician and want to obtain the power to make the policies he favors happen, but his theory of how to do that in 2020 just did not work out. You are correct that Bernie is more ideological than the typical Presidential candidate - Trump was not very ideological and in fact seemed to hold a more mixed set of views than the GOP establishment (i.e. more like a "normal" person/voter), and Obama was successful at letting people paint their own policy preferences onto him vs pushing a super-strong point of view on policy.

On 3/12/2020 at 11:08 PM, SHFP said:

For us oldies (Death Zone Corona Virus Types),  might just be like the 1968  DNC Convention in Chicago....

The Democratic Party nomination is effectively over and Joe Biden won by an even larger margin than Hillary did in 2016 and by a FAR larger margin than Obama won in 2008. Biden's delegate lead is deceptively large and the next states to vote are even more favorable to him than the many of the ones that have voted so far.

There will not be a contested convention, although at this point there may not be a "convention" at all given all the social distancing measures being undertaken to avoid the spread of coronavirus.

Edited by nsplayr

7 hours ago, nsplayr said:

He had a theory of the case, and that theory was the mass-mobilization of younger people. Bernie's policies and Bernie as a candidate poll very well among "younger" voters, i.e. anyone under 50, but surprise surprise, those people don't vote at high rates. Bernie did somewhat expand the gender and racial makeup of his base of supporters vs 2016 but it wasn't enough to overcome the very rapid consolidation in the more moderate lane of the party.

In short, his strategy was similar to the Trump 2016 strategy: turn out people who don't usually vote and hope that "the establishment" stays fractured. Unfortunately for him on both counts, the Democratic "establishment" coalesced historically fast right before the biggest day on the primary calendar, and during high-turnout primaries, the new or infrequent voters who showed up chose to support Biden.

Bernie is a politician and want to obtain the power to make the policies he favors happen, but his theory of how to do that in 2020 just did not work out. You are correct that Bernie is more ideological than the typical Presidential candidate - Trump was not very ideological and in fact seemed to hold a more mixed set of views than the GOP establishment (i.e. more like a "normal" person/voter), and Obama was successful at letting people paint their own policy preferences onto him vs pushing a super-strong point of view on policy.

The Democratic Party nomination is effectively over and Joe Biden won by an even larger margin than Hillary did in 2016 and by a FAR larger margin than Obama won in 2008. Biden's delegate lead is deceptively large and the next states to vote are even more favorable to him than the many of the ones that have voted so far.

There will not be a contested convention, although at this point there may not be a "convention" at all given all the social distancing measures being undertaken to avoid the spread of coronavirus.

Do you think the fringe will take this as a clue to back the fuck off shit like...gendered language, and dick on chicks is cool?

2 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Do you think the fringe will take this as a clue to back the fuck off shit like...gendered language, and dick on chicks is cool?

Not at all, it will only further embolden them to embrace more extreme positions sts because “we didn’t go far enough.”

9 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

I think the relevance of those issues has been instantly relegated to "No one gives a sh!T anymore" status.

Global prosperity had allowed societies to wring their hands over such trivial things compared with what we're now faced with. Social and economic disparity are the issues about to take center stage. What's ahead is going to make Occupy Wall Street look like a stroll through Central Park.

Trump just became Bernie Sanders for business. He's going to sprinkle a little money over the voters while opening up the fire hydrants for Wall Street.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

The extremely-online liberal left will continue to do their social justice warrior thing regardless of who the party nominates for President if that's what your asking, just like radicals on the right keep doing their thing regardless of what the GOP does or doesn't do.

There's a conversation to have as to whether any particular leader or administration is amplifying or tamping down the most dangerously radical parts of their coalition if that's what you're getting at.

To answer what I think you're asking, I would say Biden and his team are less likely to be interested in pushing SJW causes and language norms than Bernie and especially some of his surrogates might be.

• Like 1

Man, to think all those "we need diversity candidates" lectures were wasted.  But still, they know better than me and aren't afraid to lecture me on such.

Along with stating that VP and Supreme Court picks will be based on genitalia and/or pigmentation.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, HossHarris said:

I / we’ve been calling it Kung flu since it started. Keep up!

Cough/sniffle/snort/hack...

Sorry, haven't been at my best lately.

But man, you cats calling it that were fast as lightening.

In fact, it's been a little bit frightening.

I'll show myself out...