The Next President is...

disgruntledemployee

49 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Why not?

Yea there doesn't seem to be any reason why she could not if the opportunity came up. This was asked when Trump was considering Sen. Mike Lee for SCOTUS and basically the conclusion was that during the vote, if he were the nominee, Lee could vote to confirm himself; Harris would be no different if required to cast a tie-breaking vote in the Senate.

All fun speculation, but it's not gonna happen. My money is on Ketanji Brown Jackson.

12 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

My fear is that the Republicans will run Ron DeSantis, who I like a great deal, but he has no hook. Just a boring white guy, and that's not gonna be enough...

I don't get this, how is that any different than Biden who adds old and senile to the equation?!?

I would take DeSantis well over Trump in 2024!  My only concern is he has fallen out of the public eye lately to care for his wife.

Nikki Haley would be an excellent VP, and provide a future for the Republicans; but I don't trust them to make right decisions either!

1 hour ago, M2 said:

I don't get this, how is that any different than Biden who adds old and senile to the equation?!?

I would take DeSantis well over Trump in 2024!  My only concern is he has fallen out of the public eye lately to care for his wife.

Nikki Haley would be an excellent VP, and provide a future for the Republicans; but I don't trust them to make right decisions either!

First, Haley is more qualified than DeSantis. Not sure why he'd lead the ticket. Both would be excellent though.

Like it or not, people vote with their eyes. The only reason Biden won, with the flaws you identified, is because Trump was a fucking moron. That's it. 

Biden loses this time around because of the economy. But he's not going to run, which means a clean slate for the voters. 

Put DeSantis, who's not a household name if you're not a solid liberal or conservative (with mostly predetermined votes) up against someone with pizzazz and melanin, he's toast. Unless of course you're anticipating a conservative wave at the ballot box, which I don't particularly see happening. Especially if Biden drops out.

He's very smart, but he's also a bit of a robot. He's learned the lessons of Donald trump, namely that you don't take shit from the media, but he's still just doesn't have that wow factor. Nikki Haley has also learned the media lessons of Donald trump, but she's an attractive, minority, female, daughter of immigrants success story.

If you can't see how she's a more powerful candidate, I'd say you're giving too much credit to the American voters for being issues, policy, philosophy based in their voting. Especially the "independent" vote which is largely people incapable of making up their minds.

Maybe with 8 years of being a household name he'll have incumbency in his favor. But that's not the story of powerful way to get elected.

I'd much rather see Nikki Haley run with Dan Crenshaw as her running mate. Crenshaw is not remotely qualified to be the president yet, but he certainly smart enough, is podcast is a testament to his conservative intellectualism, and he's got the best fucking hook I could imagine for a White Guy. Navy SEAL war hero disabled veteran who wears an eye patch. Can you imagine trying to debate that guy?

14 hours ago, nsplayr said:

I’ve been 💎🙌 into this obscure thing called VFIAX for about 15 years now, check it out 💰📈 HODL!

VFIAX is great, just piss poor dividends. VWUAX is great for dividends, but very high expense ration. 

Anyhow, if you think policy of senile man has nothing to do with market, you need hard look in the mirror. 

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

It's a pipe dream...but I'd vote for a Tulsi Gabbard/Nikki Haley ticket (no matter which name was on top) in a heartbeat.

And it would automatically short-circuit any "misogynist/racist/xenophobic" attacks.

Can they alternate whose on top? 😎

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

It's a pipe dream...but I'd vote for a Tulsi Gabbard/Nikki Haley ticket (no matter which name was on top) in a heartbeat.

And it would automatically short-circuit any "misogynist/racist/xenophobic" attacks.

Would be nice to see a balanced ticket, but Haley is a warhawk (especially compared to Gabbard). I doubt either of them would budge from their stance on foreign policy.

2 hours ago, pawnman said:

No it wouldn't. Just ask the white supremacist VA Lt Gov Winsome Sears, just one example.

• Upvote 1

Wisconsin judge rules against voting drop boxes

Ruling from the bench Thursday, Circuit Court Judge Michael Bohren ordered the Wisconsin Elections Commission to rescind its guidance to clerks on how to use the drop boxes, saying the WEC had exceeded its authority when it issued the recommendations.

"In looking at the statutes, there is no specific authorization for drop boxes," Bohren said.

Pennsylvania voting drop boxes unconstitutional

A state appeals court struck down a Pennsylvania law allowing no-excuse mail-in voting as unconstitutional Friday, with potentially strong implications for the battleground state

But sure, Biden got 81 million votes - a record.

Good and hard...

18 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

Biden will announce that he's not going to run for reelection. That way the Democrats can run a legitimate primary, because they recognize if Kamala is the presumptive candidate, they're done. I expect the entire democratic machine to come out and work against her, just like the Republican machine will work against Trump if he decides to try again. Neither side is interested in running a deeply unpopular candidate right now.

For once I agree with you in that this would be the smartest course of action for the Dems. But I'm going to disagree that they are smart enough to execute this plan.  And while I think there are some interesting potential Republican prospects, I have my doubts that that party can get out from under the Trump/populist faction.  I guess I'm kind of pessimistic at the moment.  I expect at least another four years of dumpster fire whether its Trump 2.0 or Biden gridlocked with an uncooperative (to say the least) Republican congress.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Sim said:

Yes, RINOs is what this country needs.... 🤢

RINO? Because they didn't support the unbelievably stupid election protest? I'm not as confident with Haley since she's been out of the spotlight for a while, but why do you consider Crenshaw not-conservative?

Unless you mean RINO literally, which I consider a good thing. Last I checked, the Republican party has been a disgrace for decades, at least starting with Bush. They've been almost as pro illegal immigration as the Democrats have, minus publicly voicing that opinion. They've been weak dicks on foreign policy, when they had a chance to do something about Obamacare they shit the bed. And it would be absolutely hilarious if it wasn't so tragic how they completely abandoned fiscal responsibility almost immediately after the tea party revolution.

It's not just the Democratic party that has to go through an reckoning. Republicans have confused supporting capitalism with enabling billionaire-led multinational corporations that are completely in bed with the Democratic party, simply because they are "business." But their business has been outsourcing jobs to other countries, and almost single-handedly funding all of the radical movements that are decimating our social fabric today.

They have presided as the champions of capitalism over the most disgusting distortion of free market ideals in my lifetime, culminating in a pandemic, where for no reason whatsoever, the jobs and activities of the underclass were deemed non-essential, while nearly every single upper class pursuit was enabled and funded. They printed 6 trillion dollars and almost exclusively distributed it to the richest Americans, triggering an inflation wave which is going to devastate the minimal savings of the bottom half while the rich ride the speculative asset bubble to the Moon. Don't worry though, just like in 2008 they'll find a way to sell all of their nonsense holdings before the crash. The Fed will ensure they have enough time to do so by propping up the market until only us silly retail investors are left in play.

So who exactly are the Republicans again? And don't give me some obscure Representatives on their first or second term, if the leadership structure of the party aren't "true Republicans" then there's no such thing at all. Exactly how have the top brass of the party acted as true conservatives while Crenshaw has not?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Prozac said:

For once I agree with you in that this would be the smartest course of action for the Dems. But I'm going to disagree that they are smart enough to execute this plan.  And while I think there are some interesting potential Republican prospects, I have my doubts that that party can get out from under the Trump/populist faction.  I guess I'm kind of pessimistic at the moment.  I expect at least another four years of dumpster fire whether its Trump 2.0 or Biden gridlocked with an uncooperative (to say the least) Republican congress.

In what world do you see Biden winning an election again? Like you said, he won last time because Trump shot himself and his party in the foot.  Who are the dems going to make the scapegoat this time? Biden was always a moron but his deep rooted incompetency didn’t come to light until he took office - aka Afghanistan.  

Heck I don’t know of a single democrat that even tries to admit he is doing a decent job, even our resident NSPLAYR.

1 hour ago, dream big said:

Heck I don’t know of a single democrat that even tries to admit he is doing a decent job, even our resident NSPLAYR.

Lol are you sure?

I like Biden enough and I think the economy in particular is doing much better than people's perceptions of it; the sentiment is unmorred from the reality. Powell at the Fed + very robust emergency/recovery spending from Congress since spring 2020 have given the US a giant leg up economically coming out of the pandemic compared to peer democracies in Europe and elsewhere. Essentially full employment at this stage is an incredible achievement and 2021 has the strongest GDP growth since 1984.

The main problems remains that the pandemic is not over and that's obviously spreading a lot of bad vibes in general. Hard to be optimistic when there's a lot of plague and death everywhere! Unfortunately the enemy gets a vote.

Some unforced errors from the Biden Admin ranging from SMH to "wow, what a f*ck up," but I'm not trying to debate y'all blow-by-blow here. I give them the benefit of the doubt for good intent and y'all do not, I get it. I wish Biden were not 1,000 years old and had that view all through the 2020 primary and even when I voted for him.

Harris has been an absolute liability politically and is an unwise successor if Biden decides not to run in 2024. Some of my more preferred candidates would be Jared Polis (CO governor), Stacey Abrams (assuming she wins GA governor in 2022) and Mayor / Transpo Secretary Pete Buttigieg. Senators Amy Klobuchar and Michael Bennett are also good in my book.

The world where Biden wins again is where Trump is the GOP nominee, simply because Trump is such a wildcard/liability in many regards. A replacement-level GOP governor/senator with relatively Trump-aligned rhetoric I think wins in 2024, that's what I'm expecting to happen at least.

Incumbency is also a huge advantage that should not be underestimated...I seem to remember about 96.9% of y'all being absolutely sure Obama would lose in 2012 due to perceived poor performance.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, nsplayr said:

Lol are you sure?

I like Biden enough and I think the economy in particular is doing much better than people's perceptions of it; the sentiment is unmorred from the reality. Powell at the Fed + very robust emergency/recovery spending from Congress since spring 2020 have given the US a giant leg up economically coming out of the pandemic compared to peer democracies in Europe and elsewhere. Essentially full employment at this stage is an incredible achievement and 2021 has the strongest GDP growth since 1984.

The main problems remains that the pandemic is not over and that's obviously spreading a lot of bad vibes in general. Hard to be optimistic when there's a lot of plague and death everywhere! Unfortunately the enemy gets a vote.

Some unforced errors from the Biden Admin ranging from SMH to "wow, what a f*ck up," but I'm not trying to debate y'all blow-by-blow here. I give them the benefit of the doubt for good intent and y'all do not, I get it. I wish Biden were not 1,000 years old and had that view all through the 2020 primary and even when I voted for him.

Harris has been an absolute liability politically and is an unwise successor if Biden decides not to run in 2024. Some of my more preferred candidates would be Jared Polis (CO governor), Stacey Abrams (assuming she wins GA governor in 2022) and Mayor / Transpo Secretary Pete Buttigieg. Senators Amy Klobuchar and Michael Bennett are also good in my book.

The world where Biden wins again is where Trump is the GOP nominee, simply because Trump is such a wildcard/liability in many regards. A replacement-level GOP governor/senator with relatively Trump-aligned rhetoric I think wins in 2024, that's what I'm expecting to happen at least.

Incumbency is also a huge advantage that should not be underestimated...I seem to remember about 96.9% of y'all being absolutely sure Obama would lose in 2012 due to perceived poor performance.

I appreciate your civil response, truly …even though I think most of the candidates you mentioned are terrible to our democracy..Polis actually impressed me, in a good way, when he wiped his ass with all the Covid hype.  I’d like to see more people like him and Tulsi, on both sides of the aisle. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nsplayr said:

Lol are you sure?

Harris has been an absolute liability politically and is an unwise successor if Biden decides not to run in 2024. Some of my more preferred candidates would be Jared Polis (CO governor), Stacey Abrams (assuming she wins GA governor in 2022) and Mayor / Transpo Secretary Pete Buttigieg. Senators Amy Klobuchar and Michael Bennett are also good in my book.

Stacy Abrams? It would be fascinating to see the Democrats embrace an election denier so soon after Donald Trump.

Buttigeg has no spine, he's a self hating white guy, which gets you kiddos from the commentariat, but not the voters.

Klobuchar is solid, for a dem.

Biden is not responsible for the current economic situation, but he wanted to dump 3.5 plus trillion dollars onto an already raging inflation fire, so regardless of his culpability, he's embracing it.

I think Biden vs Trump 2.0 goes to Trump at this point, but way too early to be sure. It's going to be way too easy for him to point at the impending financial catastrophe and say "see? Look at what you got for picking Joe." Trump is also very good at leveraging the Democratic psychosis regarding transgender politics, border security, and other only-political-elites-think-this-way topics against the Democrats. Since Biden has been very visible and on the record for the past 4 years as president, he won't be able to do with the rest of the Democrats do and pretend like they just happened to have different positions on these issues. He has to own the party position.

I think against any other democrat, Trump loses. I sincerely hope that we don't run that experiment.

The biggest threat for the Democratic party is that they have committed to a bunch of extreme positions that the liberal voters were generally able to ignore because they were removed from everyday life. But Virginia showed that once those issues start creeping into real life, support for the party falls off. I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more Democrats jumping ship towards the center after the Virgina kids and NJ near-miss, in fact some seem to be doubling down, but I'm fairly certain that by August or September every Democrat up for election is going to look a whole lot like Joe Manchin.

9 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Really? Of the two most likely 2024 candidates by far, Biden and Harris, I think Biden has a much better chance of winning.

Yeah, but that's largely because I think the next few years are going to be economically terrible, and that colors voters like nothing else. Biden owns it like every president owns the economy, deserved or not. Biden has also made the border situation a complete disaster, and that's the original issue that got Trump elected. Pile on some not-unfounded rhetoric about the racist and anti-science topics of CRT and transgenderism being put into enough schools to make a dent, and Biden is going to have a tough time on the debate stage.

Plus his clear cognitive decline. Biden is not then man he was is 2019 even

If I'm wrong and the economy is fine, different story.

I think Kamala loses to any reasonable candidate. The DNC will do everything they can to get rid of her, as they should.

11 hours ago, dream big said:

I appreciate your civil response, truly …even though I think most of the candidates you mentioned are terrible to our democracy..Polis actually impressed me, in a good way, when he wiped his ass with all the Covid hype.  I’d like to see more people like him and Tulsi, on both sides of the aisle. 

Do you live in Colorado? I do and I like Polis. He left COVID up to the counties to deal with where they could deal with what restrictions, if any, they wanted to impose. When people here complain about Polis, I inform them about the idiot that runs Washington, Inslee. 

5 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

Do you live in Colorado? I do and I like Polis. He left COVID up to the counties to deal with where they could deal with what restrictions, if any, they wanted to impose. When people here complain about Polis, I inform them about the idiot that runs Washington, Inslee. 

It's almost as though local control is an effective way run a massive nation. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1