Afghan Caravan (208) 365

Bode

No bonus. I'm not even eligible for it. I'm C-17 background currently in the T-6. I got selected because I'm prior-e and none of the short tour data reset when I commissioned. Also I'm s-coded which me more vulnerable.

Guess we will see. I was told by my boss that it's mine unless someone decides to volunteer for it. Since they try to notification 120 days prior to the first training event for the deployment I expect it soon since the c208 training is in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Lstcause257 said:

I got selected because I'm prior-e and none of the short tour data reset when I commissioned. Also I'm s-coded which me more vulnerable.

Not sure if it matters for prior-e short tours, but if possible, recommend getting your short-tour return date updated. I've seen two separate guys get tagged for 365s, then shut back off when they updated their short tour data. Paid travel voucher, LOE, end of tour decoration, just gather what you can and take it to MPF.

3 hours ago, Lstcause257 said:

No bonus. I'm not even eligible for it. I'm C-17 background currently in the T-6. I got selected because I'm prior-e and none of the short tour data reset when I commissioned. Also I'm s-coded which me more vulnerable.

Guess we will see. I was told by my boss that it's mine unless someone decides to volunteer for it. Since they try to notification 120 days prior to the first training event for the deployment I expect it soon since the c208 training is in the spring.

Was your prior service in the Air Force?  If so, did you complete a short tour?  If both of those are true, it will count and you need to get it updated in your record.  Like Waingro said, a paid voucher will work.  There are other methods to get it counted as well, your MPF should be able to help.  I was in this situation about 5 years ago.  IIRC, if you completed a short tour before commissioning, it may not update your STRD, but it will get you credit for having completed a short tour, which will likely get you off of that non-vol short list.  Take a look at AFI 36-2110 for info on short tour credit and STRD.

ETA pertinent excerpt from AFI: (emphasis is mine)

3.5.2.2. For prior service personnel who have completed a prior OS short tour, the STRD is either the TAFMSD or date Airman completed the OS short tour, whichever is most recent. If the stop date of a prior service OS short tour is before the adjusted TAFMSD then the OS tour information may be input in the PDS under the OS tour history area for historical purposes, but this data will not adjust the STRD. However, it will it be credited to the short tour counter. The STRD will remain the same as the adjusted TAFMSD if more recent;  

Edited by pcola

Was your prior service in the Air Force?  If so, did you complete a short tour?  If both of those are true, it will count and you need to get it updated in your record.  Like Waingro said, a paid voucher will work.  There are other methods to get it counted as well, your MPF should be able to help.  I was in this situation about 5 years ago.  IIRC, if you completed a short tour before commissioning, it may not update your STRD, but it will get you credit for having completed a short tour, which will likely get you off of that non-vol short list.  Take a look at AFI 36-2110 for info on short tour credit and STRD.
ETA pertinent excerpt from AFI: (emphasis is mine)
3.5.2.2. For prior service personnel who have completed a prior OS short tour, the STRD is either the TAFMSD or date Airman completed the OS short tour, whichever is most recent. If the stop date of a prior service OS short tour is before the adjusted TAFMSD then the OS tour information may be input in the PDS under the OS tour history area for historical purposes, but this data will not adjust the STRD. However, it will it be credited to the short tour counter. The STRD will remain the same as the adjusted TAFMSD if more recent;  

No short tours in my history. I had four assignments in my 8 years but no short tours.

Slight thread derailment. I noticed in 36-2110 that both STRD and ODSD play a part in Short Tour selection. I was always under the impression that Short Tours were based solely on STRD. Any idea how ODSD plays into Short Tours?  I have an Overseas long tour which puts my ODSD 6 years closer to present day than my STRD, so I'm hoping that gives me a little breathing room. 

So here is the info I have gathered so far. Approx 10 weeks of training prior to departure. Have to love the fact a 365 is really a 435 plus. I may have the ability to vol for a different 365 if I want. Currently about my only choice is executive officer or just an air advisor versus a safety advisor.

Other than that every other billet is not rated or 11F or 11B only.

I'm sure many will disagree with me, but if you must do a 365, that's a good one to get.  You'll become a better IP, get some cool stories, fly a bunch.  Good luck dude.  

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

I'm sure many will disagree with me, but if you must do a 365, that's a good one to get.  You'll become a better IP, get some cool stories, fly a bunch.  Good luck dude.  

True story. I would never have volunteered to do it, but I learned a lot about what's important as a pilot, and have some pretty cool stories flying the Caravan.  It's easier to take in hindsight.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Homestar said:

True story. I would never have volunteered to do it, but I learned a lot about what's important as a pilot, and have some pretty cool stories flying the Caravan.  It's easier to take in hindsight.  

Funny how many things are awesome to have done but suck to do.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well official notification received. Looking at the 365 AEF tracker there are two more billets that haven't been filed. If anyone in the forum gets tasks just send me a message. I'm in contact with people from every location down range and have a good amount of info to pass.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lstcause257 said:

Well official notification received. Looking at the 365 AEF tracker there are two more billets that haven't been filed. If anyone in the forum gets tasks just send me a message. I'm in contact with people from every location down range and have a good amount of info to pass.

Good luck downrange. Remember: trust no one.