Harassment of Civil Traffic

Clark Griswold

Wondering if we will see more of this with the rise of "Grey Zone" warfare:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/23/world/americas/colombia-airline-flights-venezuela.html?_r=0

There was no specific mention of a loss of separation but it was enough to get a "sharp diversion".

China seems to be practicing this also:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/chinas-harassment-civilian-ships-and-aircraft-south-china-sea-reminds-us-why-we-need-more-us-freedom

This article and referenced speech imply they make no distinction or even attempt at distinguishing between civil and military traffic for interception or harassment.

Could ICAO as a governing body respond?  Suspension or some or all certifications or reciprocity of certifications?

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

Sounds like a CPDLC hack. The re-route was sent but not accepted, certainly not executed.  Pilots asked for further info via VHF or HF.

For those not familiar: CPDLC is a data link with the regional controlling agency.  You can swap messages, requests altitude or route changes, and more.  Onthe 787, The controlling agency can send route changes and the pilots can ACCEPT, IGNORE, or CANCEL the incoming message.  If the pilots push ACCEPT, the route is loaded into the FMS but you still have to press EXECUTE on the FMS to enter and activate the change.  

Edited by TreeA10

From some discussion on our internal pilot forum, my understanding is that it was voice. The actual ATC controller told them to refer to CPDLC and ignore VHF attempts. It was a female voice and the guys felt if was not the real controller and queried. We fly thru that area quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I’ll follow up on my post though and say that something that could be a dangerous development, even over VHF voice channels, is did they use some sort of AI spoofing tech to closely match the voice of the on-shift controller? I saw that mentioned on Reddit. No idea if that’s what happened but that would actually be a concerning threat to civil aviation since VHF frequencies are not hard to access.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

Guys there’s not a lot of ATC control over Somalia. Pretty easy to figure that out…and ignore it. 

This.....as someone who recently flew into/around/and over I can vouch for that statement.

• 4 weeks later...

I fly the black sea corner routinely as civil traffic.  Couple months ago we made the turn and completely unmasked our GPS antennas to face north and immediately got an ANP of 20+.   It's a bit of a hazard.

Edited by FourFans

19 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Not exactly civil traffic but close enough for this thread:

https://www.twz.com/news-features/gps-jamming-of-u-k-defense-secretarys-jet-highlights-russias-regional-ew-activities

Interesting read with good embedded links

Been going on for over a year, severely affecting our mil platforms as well, and we haven’t done s$&t about it..

Been going on for over a year, severely affecting our mil platforms as well, and we haven’t done s$&t about it..

I guess we could jam in response
I’m fine with that but not sure what else non kinetic we could do
It’s bullshit and I’m not sure being the bigger man and not retaliating (openly) is a viable COA going forward
We just seem to be content letting assholes screw around with us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk