Best chances for fighters.. AD or Reserves?

Hello everyone, I hope this post is under the correct thread.  I am trying to get a fighter slot (f-16, 35, or 22).  Now I am at a point if i should seek out active duty or reserves for UPT.  Does anyone have any info about active duty fighter positions (such as if there is a shortage).  I heard a lot of UPT guys are getting RPA at UPT for active duty. If I go active duty, I know I can score 1st or 2nd in my class and ask for fighter/ bomber track.  On the reserves side, I am having troubling seeking a sponsors ship from fighter units (deployed, not looking for sponsorship, or even having trouble trying to get ahold of them).  Does anyone have any advice for my situation? I have already been selected as an alternate for a fighter unit and I'm currently waiting for my F1C Physical.  I'm just trying to pull some G's....    Thank you.

Cheers 

austin 

• Downvote 3

There's definitely a shortage in fighter pilots across the entire force, to the point where even top brass are calling it a "crisis". How that's actually going to affect fighter drops in UPT, I'm not sure but I'd venture to guess that they'll at least drop more 38s. If you can secure a reserve sponsorship though, that'd probably be your best chance, but I can't personally speak of the differences between AD and reserve flying. 

Also, based on what I've heard, many of the RPA drops are going to T-1 guys.

• Upvote 1

Take a gander in the track selects/assignment night page. A lot of 38s are dropping right now, but the tables can always turn, 2 years ago when I tracked we had two 38s for my class. RPAs are only going to T-1s and it looks like that might not be happening anymore for now. The RPA pipeline is more backed up than the line at the DMV. 

That being said, fighters are guaranteed with a reserve slot if you preform well/graduate from UPT. Nothing is guaranteed on AD except frustration, taxes, and increased alcohol consumption. If time is on your side hold out for that guard/reserve slot. 

• Upvote 2

There's definitely a shortage in fighter pilots across the entire force, to the point where even top brass are calling it a "crisis". How that's actually going to affect fighter drops in UPT, I'm not sure but I'd venture to guess that they'll at least drop more 38s. If you can secure a reserve sponsorship though, that'd probably be your best chance, but I can't personally speak of the differences between AD and reserve flying. 

16-08 grad here. Each class has 2 RPA's and they went to Toners. Confirmed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No you don't.

At first I read this the same way as you. My jaw hit the floor. But then others read it as " I know that if this were to happen that I". Looks like everyone is giving OP the benefit of the doubt. But I'm with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

know I can score 1st or 2nd in my class and ask for fighter/ bomber track.

I'm glad you said so. Just skip UPT then and join us in the CAF, brah! Didn't you hear there's a fighter pilot shortage?

Would you mind PMing me your name and contact info so I can get your orders hooked up for Weapons School?

Thanks, brosaurus-rex.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

On 8/15/2016 at 10:06 PM, GlassEmpty said:

16-08 grad here. Each class has 2 RPA's and they went to Toners. Confirmed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The RPA drops have stopped (at least according to the last few classes). They were planned to only be around for the FY16 grads and it seems they have honored their promise.

• Upvote 1

On August 15, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Don Frank said:

Thank you for all the great information, I am actively seeking a sponsor ship! I know that's the best route.

• Downvote 2

On August 17, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Kiloalpha said:

Austin,

If you don't mind me asking, what was the fighter unit that you got selected as an alternate with?

Not at all. I got selected as alternate for the 182nd fighter squadron (149th FW) at lackland afb SA TX. I was a f16 crew chief there for 6 years 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On August 18, 2016 at 3:19 AM, Ram said:

I'm glad you said so. Just skip UPT then and join us in the CAF, brah! Didn't you hear there's a fighter pilot shortage?

Would you mind PMing me your name and contact info so I can get your orders hooked up for Weapons School?

Thanks, brosaurus-rex.

Yes sir, I just PMed you my contact information.  Feel free to contact me anytime! 

• Downvote 2

Don't know if the post is heading in the direction I want lol.  But networking is never a bad thing in this career field.  Thank you again for everyone chiming in on the post and giving there expert opinions lol.  Had a good talk with my wing commander the other day, he is going to assist me to get a sponsor from a fighter unit and call around. In the mean time, I'll keep calling units and wait for my flight physical dates.  Waiting is the most painful part! 

Austin 

• Downvote 3

5 hours ago, a1caustinp3 said:

Don't know if the post is heading in the direction I want lol.  But networking is never a bad thing in this career field.  Thank you again for everyone chiming in on the post and giving there expert opinions lol.  Had a good talk with my wing commander the other day, he is going to assist me to get a sponsor from a fighter unit and call around. In the mean time, I'll keep calling units and wait for my flight physical dates.  Waiting is the most painful part! 

Austin 

I'll bite before this is closed, your WG/CC cannot do much to get you hired into a (ARC) fighter wing.  This process is delegated usually to the OSS/CC and an interview process, sure, they can call and recommend but that does not have to be taken into consideration.  You need to rush and apply to units, there is no hiring unless there is a hiring announcement that you qualify for by the closeout date.  No college, no luck, no ASVAB, no luck, douchebag, no luck.  A lot of this applies to active duty as well, just think of UPT as your interview process.  You are guaranteed nothing, you are entitled to nothing.  I had 50 hours and a private pilots license going into UPT as an active duty dude, I did better that some 2000 hour CFI's, and did worse than some 0 hour, non private license students.  Attitude can be 70%, but there needs to be some ability, and you don't know if you have that yet.  If you pass the FC1, you could parlay that into a backup slot, lots of people lose their physical, and you could be on the next bus to UPT.  And before you ask and not search (damn millennials) I flew fighters for thousands of hours, and taught UPT (T-38s).....all very recently.

Now close this ridiculousness  

Edited by matmacwc
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, matmacwc said:

I'll bite before this is closed, your WG/CC cannot do much to get you hired into a (ARC) fighter wing.  This process is delegated usually to the OSS/CC and an interview process, sure, they can call and recommend but that does not have to be taken into consideration.  You need to rush and apply to units, there is no hiring unless there is a hiring announcement that you qualify for by the closeout date.  No college, no luck, no ASVAB, no luck, douchebag, no luck.  A lot of this applies to active duty as well, just think of UPT as your interview process.  You are guaranteed nothing, you are entitled to nothing.  I had 50 hours and a private pilots license going into UPT as an active duty dude, I did better that some 2000 hour CFI's, and did worse than some 0 hour, non private license students.  Attitude can be 70%, but there needs to be some ability, and you don't know if you have that yet.  If you pass the FC1, you could parlay that into a backup slot, lots of people lose their physical, and you could be on the next bus to UPT.  And before you ask and not search (damn millennials) I flew fighters for thousands of hours, and taught UPT (T-38s).....all very recently.

Now close this ridiculousness  

Of course! I just want to get my foot in the door to go over there and show face, sell my self, and hopefully snag a Interview. I understand the hiring process is through the units OSS/ CC. Just need assistance getting that set up! And lol, Roger that on the UPT info... Note taken. Tottaly belive your credentials! Thanks for the insight!  On a lighter note, I don't think this thread is completely "ridiculous" ... I am learning a lot! 

• Downvote 2

He really sent me his contact info.

Proof:

Hello sir, my name is SrA Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx. I created the post regarding "best chances for fighters, AD or reserves" and you posted regarding my contact information.  I also have a full and completed UPT package if you would like it sent to you I can. My email is 

XXXXXXXXX@hotmail.com

cell: ###-###-XXXX

my I ask what this is in regards too? Skipping UPT and going to weapon school sounds great, but I would have to practice on my pattern work and pilot lingo lol. Please contact me at anytime. Cheers.

respecfully, 

Xxxxxxx 

Definitely going to rank 1 or 2 at UPT.

• Upvote 7