Flying Videos Thread Part 2?

Slick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, contraildash said:

😉

Valid.  Most legit pads are weight rated so I can see how a hospital with a grass pad says "sure come on in" to the osprey after being accustomed to a average 3-5k pound standard helo.  I've been under an osprey while getting hoisted up and its insane.  

On 4/28/2021 at 2:41 AM, bfargin said:

For all you test pilots. True home build hanging it out there more than I'd be willing to.

Peter builds some pretty cool stuff. Smart dude, but too relaxed about the test phase sometimes. Hopefully there is more behind the scenes. Still cool though. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 10:06 AM, Breckey said:

https://youtu.be/X1FJqkAtDcc

ATC audio of a West Point C182 that violated the NYC TFR. This is why we can't have Aero Clubs...

Holy shit that was painful. Call sign Ray Charles?? 😂

I hope that guy is better at bomb dropping than running a slow mover intercept.  On a guy following a river no less! Jeeezus!  Fly over top of him and hit “mark”.  Takes minutes for him to create significant distance from the point. Easy to re-acquire. 
Plus why a single ship?  Budget cuts?  🤔

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JeremiahWeed said:

Holy shit that was painful. Call sign Ray Charles?? 😂

I hope that guy is better at bomb dropping than running a slow mover intercept.  On a guy following a river no less! Jeeezus!  Fly over top of him and hit “mark”.  Takes minutes for him to create significant distance from the point. Easy to re-acquire. 
Plus why a single ship?  Budget cuts?  🤔

I started a new thread with some of the same thoughts.  There have been several TFR TOI intercepts the past few weeks and nearly everyone has sounded like this.  I think they came from the Tumbleweed CAP.

If you have the time, go to a vault and read the 3-1.ADUSCAN to understand the issues encountered with running intercepts to slow movers, especially ones located in POTUS TFRs. If you’ve done this mission before, then you understand. If not, there are a shit ton of things going on that make it very easy to mess up the intercept or piss off ATC. I don’t know the dude or the situation he was in, but I can tell you that flying a slow VID intercept in a heavily trafficked area (I.e. New York) is task saturating, especially single seat. You have one controlling agency telling you where to go, then you have to coordinate with another controlling agency to ask permission to go, all the while trying to find said violator, often times with an altitude or heading restriction. Fast planes don’t like going slow. When you slow to the speeds needed for these intercepts you are literally hanging on the fan blades. Just when you think you’ve got it figured out, you are still blitzing past the contact, so you turn to keep sight, lose lift, and start sinking out of your altitude block. Then you have bitching Betty telling you “warning, warning, airspeed.” Plus neither of the controlling agencies are leaving you alone, and you desperately don’t want to lose visual with the dude but most likely will or have a very hard time reacquiring said visual.  Not to say it is t doable, but it is very task saturating, especially if you aren’t proficient at it. Just like any skill, you have to practice it to get really good at it. 

No shit, I felt I had more SA and less distractions killing bad Steve’s in the ‘Stan than I ever did running an intercept on a TFR violator over congested airspace. 

3 hours ago, mp5g said:

If you have the time, go to a vault …….many words saying fighter mission is challenging……………Just like any skill, you have to practice it to get really good at it. 

No shit, I felt I had more SA and less distractions killing bad Steve’s in the ‘Stan than I ever did running an intercept on a TFR violator over congested airspace. 

Yup. Slow mover intercepts can be challenging.  If you’re sitting ADF alert you should be proficient.  High Pk you’ll see that mission if you launch.  So practice. It was a dedicated ride in the F-15 FTU syllabus last I knew.  Far easier as a two-ship. Good to know fast jets don’t like to go slow. Thanks for that 🙄

• Haha 2